Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Two EBC Fujinons - Worth Holding Onto?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Two EBC Fujinons - Worth Holding Onto? Reply with quote

I went scrounging around in a local camera shop today. Found an EBC Fujinon-SW 3.5/28mm and EBC Fujinon 1.8/55mm. Is there any real worth in holding onto these lenses? I doubt many can specifically speak to these comparisons, but is there much of an optical advantage over a Mir 10A 3.5/28mm or super takumar 1.4/50mm, respectively? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

~Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I disagree with the unusable comment regarding the mir though. It performs beautifully if you're willing to deal with the weight.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiralcity uses Fujinons a lot PM him...I have not seen him around for awhile.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I got the EBC SW 28/3.5 and the EBC 55/3.5 Macro a few weeks ago for a few euros (thanks to the underrated brand name Wink ) ...

Up to now, i just had some spare time to play with the 55/3.5 and, after a few shots, found it at least at the same level as the Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5: great color rendition and fine sharpness, with very a good contrast ...

I suppose the 28/3.5 and the 55/1.8 play in the same league Wink ...

Cheers

P.S.: Be careful: the Fujinons may require a little dremelling according to the camera they are mounted on ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. Perhaps I will give them a go. I guess the ebc series was designed specifically for the fujica st801 and later. I've heard that the troublesome lug offers open aperture metering (not sure if that is true). The camera I've been using the most in the past is the st701 and the lug offers no mounting issues so I think I'll be safe, but the warning is appreciated. I know spiralcity owns the lens. Hopefully he will rejoin us soon and speak to this topic specifically.

~Marc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 35mm F/2.8, not sure if it's the exact same lens but it's very good considering how little it cost.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a Fujinon zoom and it's fantastic. Slow & heavy but a flawless performer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fujinon lenses are very good. I had some of them. The EBC 1,8/55 has a MC with a strong reflected green (like the SMC 1,4). It's a lens to have. Not my first choice but if you have the fujica compatible with the pin of the lens is a good option.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Fujinons are excellent lenses. The 28mm is perhaps not as good as some alternatives (e.g. not as sharp throughout as the Vivitar/Komine 28mm f/2.8) but it does have quite nice colours. The 55mm f/1.8 is very good, in my opinion the Fuji normal lenses are comparable to their Takumar equivalents and it comes down to opinion which are better.

The open aperture lug in the back is not an issue on most M42 film bodies, but it does tend to prevent the lens from screwing in all the way on adapters. Filing down the lug is a crude solution, but the only loss of functionality is open aperture metering on certain Fujica bodies, and the lug can be restored by gluing a piece of metal in the same position.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who might not know, "EBC" stands for 'Electron Beam (multi)Coating'. Fuji still uses this same process, I believe, on their modern large format optics, which are very highly regarded.

Here's a link to a discussion over at Fred Miranda about the EBC 55/1.8 (other Fuji EBC lenses are discussed too):

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/690268

And a link on the ST-801 and EBC lenses:

http://www.thecamerasite.net/01_SLR_Cameras/Pages/fujica-ST-801.htm

And a link to a flickr photo showing a shot with the 55mm macro:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spiralcity/3928112174/

This is our member spiralcity's flickr page, complete with comment by Arkku Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Great info. I actually just bought an az-1 camera body. I'm not really keen on any auto features, but I just had to get a taste of the open aperture metering.

~Marc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

I do have the EBC 28/3.5 together with the EBC 55/1.8 (unfortunately mine has a little fungus).
I've used the 55 on 5d and K10, very sharp at wide aperture and bokeh is smooth (no harsh bokeh like takumars), but I do prefer my EBC 50/1.4.

I had modified the EBC 55 in a non-permanent mod, to have stop down metering. You put a small piece of Qtip on the pin to hold it down (thanks arkku for the tip). The 55 need to be dismantle from the front though.
But the pin is back to normal for use with my ST901 and wide aperture metering Very Happy )

I haven't used the 28 that much, but I have some samples taken on 5D.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathub wrote:
…EBC 55/1.8 (unfortunately mine has a little fungus).

The 55 need to be dismantle from the front though.

Well, sounds like a good opportunity to remove the fungus while you are disassembling it anyway? =)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've never played with the optical elements though...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Mathub wrote:
Well,

I do have the EBC 28/3.5 together with the EBC 55/1.8 (unfortunately mine has a little fungus).

Be careful when opening the lens: AFAIK the Fujinons have the optical elements glued to their inner barrel, thus making almost impossible servicing those lenses ...

I hope to be wrong ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good glass for sure.

I have a pretty nice collection of EBC glass and im very happy with every lens.

Value wise you probally wont see a whole of $$$ for your glass, but you should be more than happy with the performance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:

Be careful when opening the lens: AFAIK the Fujinons have the optical elements glued to their inner barrel, thus making almost impossible servicing those lenses ...

I've opened most of the common M42 mount Fujinons at least near the rear (and some from the front), none of them have elements glued to the barrel. Perhaps some X-mount Fujinons are like that, or this may apply only to some lenses or some inner elements that I haven't detached from the lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
Filing down the lug is a crude solution, but the only loss of functionality is open aperture metering on certain Fujica bodies, and the lug can be restored by gluing a piece of metal in the same position.

Hi Arkku,

Have you tried restoring the lug on any Fujinon EBC M42 lenses? How does it function afterwards? I am trying to buy some Fujinon M42 lenses to be used on a Fujica ST801 body, but many of them have already had the aperture tab filed down. If gluing a piece of metal in the same position offers the exact same functionality, then all the EBC lenses out there can do the job. Curious to know your and any others' experiences.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work, as long as it's in the right place.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the original question 8 years ago, I tried the EBC Fujinon 1.8/55mm on sony A7 I am disappointed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanhasgotqi wrote:
I am trying to buy some Fujinon M42 lenses to be used on a Fujica ST801 body, but many of them have already had the aperture tab filed down. If gluing a piece of metal in the same position offers the exact same functionality, then all the EBC lenses out there can do the job. Curious to know your and any others' experiences.

Thank you!

Should be no problem at all. I have several screw-mount Fujinon's, bought originally for my Fujica AZ-1, then used, with adaptors, on my AX-5, now, with the lugs trimmed, on my Pentax cameras. All my Fujinon lenses are pin-sharp (except the 85mm soft-focus, obviously! Wink

Just don't get carried away in the heat of the moment and buy an AX bayonet-mount lens by mistake Wink

The ST801 was a favourite standby body of mine, very reliable and a nice fast top speed (for it's day).

Don't forget, if "push comes to shove", you can always use a "de-tabbed" lens in stop-down mode ... some of the early screw-mount Fujinons, as supplied with the early ST701 for example, didn't have "tabs", as open-aperture metering wasn't a feature on that body. The glass is every bit as good, though!

Good luck, from a long-time Fujinon user Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies. Yes, Fujinon lenses are a dream.