Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta RF Rokkor 500mm F8 on A7R II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Minolta RF Rokkor 500mm F8 on A7R II Reply with quote

I have been looking for a copy of 250mm but I never able to find one in reasonable price. Instead, I found a copy of this lens for cheap as it has some fungus(the fungus has been cleaned before I test this lens)

Unlike the Nikkor-N Mirror I have tired on NEX 5N, this lens is very hard to nail the focus. It does give decent resolution if focus correctly. As a result, I will only post smaller photos. Instead, two 100% crop are included for those who are interested in the sharpness. Handing this lens is a real challenge even on a stabilized camera like A7R II. A tripod or mono pod is recommended.

P.S. There are haze when I took the photos.

#2, Click to see 100% crop,

#4, Click to see 100% crop,

Last edited by calvin83 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Minolta RF Rokkor 500mm F8 on A7R II Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I have been looking for a copy of 250mm but I never able to find one in reasonable price. Instead, I found a copy of this lens for cheap as it has some fungus(the fungus has been cleaned before I test this lens)

Unlike the Nikkor-N Mirror I have tired on NEX 5N, this lens is very hard to nail the focus. It does give decent resolution if focus correctly. As a result, I will only post smaller photos. Instead, two 100% crop are included for those who are interested in the sharpness. Handing this lens is a real challenge even on an stabilized camera like A7R II. A tripod or mono pod is recommended.

P.S. There are haze when I took the photos.

Very, very nice pics-- appreciate this post. I recently bought my first mirror lens (Tamron 500mm f/8 b-model) and am looking forward to doing some good stuff with it. Your lens has all the sharpness one needs, indeed. Agreed, 500mm requires mindfulness to the shutter speeds! Hope you treat us to some more sometime. Best jt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the AF version and your version seems better but it could just be that you are a much better photographer than I.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you can find reasonable cost 250! The 500 apparently takes a lot of effort to achieve good results. Obviously you made exceptional efforts to achieve these exceptional results!

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Calvin. It proves what an excellent lens it is when properly used. I know from my own experience what challenge that is.
However, in terms of sharpness the Rokkor RF 500mm/F8 is definitely one of the best, if not the best of all.
Leica had good reasons to sell it as their Leitz Telyt for the Leica R as well.
Indeed, it's nearly impossible to get the RF 250 for a fair price these days.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank all of you! It is certain that it is a capable lens with its limits. I wish all of you can use your own mirror lens with success.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Thank all of you! It is certain that it is a capable lens with its limits. I wish all of you can use your own mirror lens with success.

These are rather good Calvin.
I have the AF version of this mirror lens but I focus it manually.
It is a very competent optic and gives good results as well.
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be even more challenging to focus the AF version manually. Well done, Tom!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for one of these for a reasonable price, not a lot of them pop up for sale here in the Netherlands. I have the Rokkor 250 RF and the Tamron 500 and wanted to add the Rokkor 500 to the collection instead of the Tammy.

From what i have read the Minolta 500 is one of the best (if not the best) when it comes to 500mm mirror lenses, your samples are very good so i guess what they say could easy be true!

Cheers, René.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find one one day, René. For the sharpness, I believe tje Zeiss Mirotar will beat the Minolta but it will cost much more. Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun short test: 2000mm/f32.0 - with the Minolta MD 500/8 - the lens looks enough similar to the MDII Rokkor from the topic

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

These are rather good Calvin.
I have the AF version of this mirror lens but I focus it manually.
Tom

Awsome pic!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Eclipses today.

ISO 100, 1/8000s, ND1000.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:

From what i have read the Minolta 500 is one of the best (if not the best) when it comes to 500mm mirror lenses, your samples are very good so i guess what they say could easy be true!

Cheers, René.

I've been comparing a few 500mm mirrors - among them the Minolta MD, the new Nikkor (second version with 1.5m MFD), the Tamron SP and the Tokina. Text condition was resolution on 24MP FF in the infinity range, contrast, and vignetting. At least the first three were rather similar in performance; the Nikkor may have a bit more resolution and less vignetting, the Minolta has a bit more vignetting, and the Tamron a bit less contrast than the others. The Nikkor (2nd version) has an opening drilled through the main mirror which increases contrast, but is difficult to produce, of course.

S

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Solar Eclipses today.

ISO 100, 1/8000s, ND1000.

Nice one. I have a copy that I got more than 10 years ago. Haven't really shoot with it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to ask how you framed & focused that. Smile

Very good results for equipment imho.

Ps very first photo I have heard people say don't eat the bean sprouts to people with acne.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used my AF 500 on my Sony NEX5 and A6000 with the LA-EA4 adapter and it works well, I haven't tried it properly on the A7II yet but it seemed to be very good. I can't find any pic's, my pictures are in a mess at the moment after a drive failure. So if it's not throwing it down with rain tomorrow, I'll give it a go.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Dog Thank you!

@visualopsins I handheld the lens on my window. With focus bracketing, there is a least some photos which are correctly focused.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb pictures as you almost totally avoided the donuts. Well Like 1 Like 1

Very handy and light lens.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

I have the AF version of this mirror lens ...
Tom

Antoine wrote:
Superb pictures as you almost totally avoided the donuts. Well Like 1 Like 1

Very handy and light lens.

The smooth bokeh shown in Tom's image has to do with the specific construction of the Minolta AF 8/500mm: It's secondary mirror is much smaller than the secondary mirror of previous MF mirror lenses; it was specifically made to work with the two lateral AF sensors of the Minolta 7000i/8000i cameras. Cameras with only one central AF sensor (such as the 5000/7000/9000 series) will not autofocus with the Minolta AF 8/500mm since the central sensor obviously is blocked out by the secondary mirror.

Thus if you are looking for a good 500mm mirror with acceptable bokeh, the Minolta AF (!) 8/500mm might be right. Minolta had even developed a mirror lens without any donut bokeh, but that's another story. It never went into production.

Stephan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
The smooth bokeh shown in Tom's image has to do with the specific construction of the Minolta AF 8/500mm: It's secondary mirror is much smaller than the secondary mirror of previous MF mirror lenses; it was specifically made to work with the two lateral AF sensors of the Minolta 7000i/8000i cameras. Cameras with only one central AF sensor (such as the 5000/7000/9000 series) will not autofocus with the Minolta AF 8/500mm since the central sensor obviously is blocked out by the secondary mirror.

Thus if you are looking for a good 500mm mirror with acceptable bokeh, the Minolta AF (!) 8/500mm might be right. Minolta had even developed a mirror lens without any donut bokeh, but that's another story. It never went into production.

As you state the differences between the MD and AF 500/8 mirror lenses I've compared both lens designs and indeed they are different. I always thought that both versions share the same construction.
Anyway, as I have both versions I will do a comparison. Makes me really curious to spot any differences.