Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 Revuenon 55/1.4 or Mamya Sekor 55/1.4?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: M42 Revuenon 55/1.4 or Mamya Sekor 55/1.4? Reply with quote

Which of the two lenses is more suitable for the APS-C sensor DSLRs?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several versions of each, and some of these may be the same lens - that is, the same design. Quite a lot of lens designs and even manufacturers were shared between the second-tier of Japanese camera companies.

From experience, the actual result is going to vary so little it doesn't matter. A 55/1.4 from any of these companies (Revuenon is Foto-Quelles rebranding of Cosinas or Chinons, etc.), is a 55/1.4 .

You are going to be using the same M42 adapter anyway, on your DSLR.

Best to be more concerned about the condition of the lenses you are offered.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: M42 Revuenon 55/1.4 or Mamya Sekor 55/1.4? Reply with quote

edri wrote:
Which of the two lenses is more suitable for the APS-C sensor DSLRs?

These two lenses should be optically more or less the same since they belong to the Tomioka 55/1.4 family. The only difference in optics might be coatings. However, it would still be just a single-coating. So no worries here.

Mamiya SX series are known to have issues with common DSLR adapters. The SX models feature a non-standard ring at the bottom of lens barrel which prevents fully screwing the lens into an adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tomioka family tree has led me to choose these lenses. I currently use Pentax DSLRs and with the infinity focus adapter I think there are no problems with the Mamya lens, but it is very good to know this problem (I did not know it, thank you). Who knows what will be tomorrow's cmera?
Are all the Revuenon M42 55/1.4 lenses of Tomioka origin?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optically they are the same. It is easier to get them with MC but difference due modern coating not discernible. I'd take Mamiya nevertheless due body style and collectibility factor.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
... I'd take Mamiya nevertheless due body style and collectibility factor.

Why?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
Pancolart wrote:
... I'd take Mamiya nevertheless due body style and collectibility factor.

Why?

For the same reason i'd take the one bellow over Mamiya Smile
Click here to see on Ebay.de

Last edited by Pancolart on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Chinon 55/1.4, which does not seem too sharp at f1.4, it's more like an artistic lens. From what I read on the internet Revuenon 55/1.4 looks like a sharp lens at f1.4.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Rikenon version of this and the MS. The Rikenon is clearly sharper. I would recommend the Revuenon version over it.