Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What Is So Special With This Lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: What Is So Special With This Lens? Reply with quote

It's about Auto Takumar 58/ 2, the Sonar formula. This lens is expensive compared to other lenses in the same range of focal lengths and apertures. I have the Auto Takumar 58 / 2.4 (Heliar formula) and an Auto Takumar 55 / 2.2 (Ultron formula?) besides other 50s. Is it wise to spend money on a Sonar Auto Takumar, too?

Last edited by edri on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure but I think it is the only ever manufactured Sonnar-design normal lens for a 35mm SLR?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: What Is So Special With This Lens? Reply with quote

Friends

Last edited by sergtum on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Takumar 58mm F2 is much more rare than the two lenses you own....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry it's about Auto Takumar 58mm f2. I've corrected.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the lens is expensive just because it is a rare lens, not because it offers a special rendering. Did I understand well?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the only Sonnar standard lens for SLR. For rangefinder, there are lots of Sonnar type lens from German, ex-USSR and Japaneses. For SLR users, it might be very special but may not for rangefinder users.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the 58/2.4 that is special, only.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 58/2 lens has a very specific rendering that sets it apart:

https://kajiwara.weebly.com/takumar-582.html

The 58/2.4 has a less distinctive look but I think its bokeh at f/4.0 is one of the most beautiful you can see:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8 wrote:
It's the 58/2.4 that is special, only.

I would say also instead of only. The f2.4 is a Heliar formula.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
The 58/2 lens has a very specific rendering that sets it apart:

https://kajiwara.weebly.com/takumar-582.html ....

The 58/2.4 has a less distinctive look but I think its bokeh at f/4.0 is one of the most beautiful you can see:

Abbazz

... "The big highlight of this lens lies in its extremely soft bokeh" Google translate from the previous link.

I just removed this lens from the shopping list (mainly because of the price too high for a 50mm/f2), now after this specification I think I will put it back.

If I understand well, the lens is a kind of Volna 9, or vice versa. Wink