Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 100mm f2.8 Macro Same Formula As Vivitar 90mm f2.8?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Soligor 100mm f2.8 Macro Same Formula As Vivitar 90mm f2.8? Reply with quote

I just acquired a rare bird, the Soligor 100mm f/2.8 Macro. Few threads exist here on the forum discussing this lens. I have seen some mentions elsewhere like Pentax Forums similarly trying to figure out more about this lens. Fortunately, this sale included the original box (no user's manual or literature though).

A couple of initial observations. The previous threads here mention poor build quality. The lens I received looks like New Old Stock. It's beautiful and I can't find a mark on it. Yet, the focusing barrel is a bit loose. Annoying. The focusing action itself, however, is buttery smooth, like my Soligor 28/2, 35/2, 55/2.8 and 135/2. So I'm pleased it isn't rough or barely acceptable as some users experienced. Perhaps this copy is the same copy the previous poster mentioned with the loose barrel who claimed he returned 2 copies fo such reasons.

Now to the optics. I have a basic understanding of optics here so this is partly what I am asking. The specs list this lens as having 6 elements in 4 groups. Similarly, the Vivitar 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro also is listed as having a 6/4 optical formula. To be clear, I am not referring to the Series 1 macro lens. I am referring to the lens that natively goes to 1:1 and can be found rebranded as Elicar, Panagor, Rokunar, and other brands including Soligor! Have a look at the two optical formula drawings pulled from the lens' respective boxes. The Vivitar was pulled from an eBay listing where the box was at an awkward angle so I warped it back to 'flat' in photoshop. The similarity is striking, if not identical, to me.

Interestingly, the Soligor only goes to 1:2 reproduction, unless you mount the 1:1 adapter, which contains no optics and is merely an extension tube. Is it possible this lens is a precursor to the 90mm which perhaps employed a new helical design to allow the optics to travel more distance giving the full capabilities without the need for an extension tube?

Some other notes: I think the general consensus is that Komine made the Vivitar 90mm f/2.8. The Soligor 100mm, however, has a serial indicating it was made by Tokina. The physical appearance of the Soligor 100mm reinforces the Tokina connection as it bears such resemblance to the Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5, which we know to be made by Tokina as well. The 1:1 adapter for the Soligor is a spitting image of the 1:1 adapter for the Vivitar 90mm though the Soligor contains no optics, whereas the Vivitar does. Again, just musing here.

Soligor 100mm f/2.8 Macro Optical Design vs Vivitar 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro Optical Design

Soligor 100mm f/2.8 Box and Specifications

Vivitar 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro

I'm interesting in what you all think.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. From the literature you posted, the optics are very similar, which means should be slightly worst than VS1 90mm 2.5.

I got a mint copy last year so didnt jump on this one. I was surprised there were very few bids.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Congratulations. From the literature you posted, the optics are very similar, which means should be slightly worst than VS1 90mm 2.5.

I got a mint copy last year so didnt jump on this one. I was surprised there were very few bids.

How is yours mechanically? And do you like the results you're getting from it? We've got some extensive basement work going on and a lot of my other photo stuff is packed away right now. Hoping to get out and see what this lens is capable of soon!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of the Soligor/Tokina 100mm 2.8 before. It is a double gauss design but with significantly thicker second and fifth element than the Komine. Should be more contrasty.

It is probably the precursor of the Bokina, which was made from 1977 to 81 http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_113.html Your copy has a 1975 serial number.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

How is yours mechanically? And do you like the results you're getting from it? We've got some extensive basement work going on and a lot of my other photo stuff is packed away right now. Hoping to get out and see what this lens is capable of soon!

The mechanics is superb, all very solid and smooth. Feel the same as 70-210/3.5 C/D and 200/2.8 C/D by Tokina. I don't have any photos by this lens either.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Soligor 100mm f2.8 Macro Same Formula As Vivitar 90mm f2 Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:
the focusing barrel is a bit loose. Annoying.

I would guess that the focusing guides are loose. That could be anything from trivial to PITA to fix.

vivaldibow wrote:
I was surprised there were very few bids.

It's little-known lens without a loud name. And macro lenses are not super-hot right now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Soligor 100mm f2.8 Macro Same Formula As Vivitar 90mm f2 Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:
. . .
Yet, the focusing barrel is a bit loose. Annoying.
. . .

My copy also had that problem. To fix it, I removed the rubber focus grip and adjusted some screws underneath.

There are two separate rows with three screws each. The lower screws hold the distance scale. The upper screws secure the focus barrel (green circle). The screws on my lens were all tight, but the barrel wobbled anyway!?
After some fiddling, here's what worked for my lens:

[EDIT: I've removed the misleading advice I gave here. Please see my later post from 21 March, 2022.]

For photos, my lens gets used most often for flowers. I'm not good at critiquing lens performance, but I enjoy the results I see from my Soligor. Here are two examples at f/2.8 taken with a Canon 5D :

Last edited by 55 on Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Soligor 100mm f2.8 Macro Same Formula As Vivitar 90mm f2 Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:

It's little-known lens without a loud name. And macro lenses are not super-hot right now.

It is true. This is lesser known lens in the Soligor C/D series. 28mm 35mm and 135mm f/2's usually attract more bids.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Soligor 100mm f2.8 Macro Same Formula As Vivitar 90mm f2 Reply with quote

55 wrote:
justtorchit wrote:
. . .
. . .

My copy also had that problem. To fix it, I removed the rubber focus grip and adjusted some screws underneath.

There are two separate rows with three screws each. The lower screws hold the distance scale. The upper screws secure the focus barrel (green circle). The screws on my lens were all tight, but the barrel wobbled anyway!?

I loosened the upper screws a couple turns and pushed the barrel up toward the top of the lens as far as it would go - it felt like just a couple millimeters. After the screws were re-tightened, no more wobbling.

For photos, my lens gets used most often for flowers. I'm not good at critiquing lens performance, but I enjoy the results I see from my Soligor. Here are two examples at f/2.8 taken with a Canon 5D :

Thanks for sharing the information and your photos.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor 100mm f2.8 Macro Same Formula As Vivitar 90mm f2 Reply with quote

55 wrote:
. . .
. . .

I loosened the upper screws a couple turns and pushed the barrel up toward the top of the lens as far as it would go - it felt like just a couple millimeters. After the screws were re-tightened, no more wobbling.

Thank you so much for this! I was just about to have a crack at figuring out what might be the fix, this is extremely helpful. And lovely images! I am excited to get out and see what it can do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor 100mm f2.8 Macro Same Formula As Vivitar 90mm f2 Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:

Thanks for sharing the information and your photos.

My pleasure.

justtorchit wrote:
Thank you so much for this! I was just about to have a crack at figuring out what might be the fix, this is extremely helpful. And lovely images! I am excited to get out and see what it can do.

You're welcome. I think you'll enjoy using your 100. Smile

For what it's worth... I wanted to see what was under the focus barrel to try to understand why it was wobbling. I removed the six screws (plus one larger focus stop? screw), but the barrel wouldn't come off. That's as far as I pursued it.

Also, I wanted to clean some debris between elements inside my lens. After removing the front retaining ring / baffle, the first element came out easily. But the next element wouldn't fall out, so I moved to the rear. Using a curved spanner, I was able to get the rear element cluster out without having to remove the mount and stop down linkage on my M42 lens. That was enough for me to do the cleaning.

And for those who haven't used a curved spanner, several times mine has been able to do jobs that my normal, straight spanner couldn't.
Here's a photo:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The double gauss formula 6/4 is used in literally hundreds of lenses. While all 6/4s share some characteristics in terms of the look, there are huge differences as well depending on the curvature and thickness of the elements and the glass formulations used.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
The double gauss formula 6/4 is used in literally hundreds of lenses. While all 6/4s share some characteristics in terms of the look, there are huge differences as well depending on the curvature and thickness of the elements and the glass formulations used.

Thank kymarto, I'm not terribly well versed in the specifics of optical formulas. That's great to know. As one poster mentioned earlier up in this thread, there are differences in the rendered optical designs on the boxes such as element thicknesses. I just wasn't sure how precise those renderings are and what necessarily constitutes considering an optical formula "the same." Would you say then, when comparing two optical designs, unless the system is identical in every way, the optical design would not be considered the same design? If I'm understanding you, it sounds like you would consider all nuances a unique design.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went outside yesterday to test this lens out only to find a cloudy, dull sky. The sun occasionally peaked through but even then it was mostly veiled by thin cloud cover. I captured the following images on the Nikon Z 7 using an M42 adapter. None of these images use the 1:1 tube. On the edited images, I tweaked a number of things like I would any image from even modern lenses, bumping contrast or saturation, etc. This seems to be a very capable lens.

Unedited - @ f/2.8

Unedited - @ f/5.6

Edited in Adobe Camera Raw - @ f/2.8

Edited in Adobe Camera Raw - @ f/5.6

Edited in Adobe Camera Raw - @ f/2.8

Moxxi - @ f/2.8

Leeloo - @ f/2.8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small

This is one of the lens I am looking for in the past. Looks it is a capable performer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the optical parts in the Soligor 100mm versus the parts in the Tokina 90mm 2.5, there is a lot of difference. The Tokina has 8 elements 7 groups, where the front Double Gauss is an 6/5 Ultron type. That Ultron part moves as a unit in focusing while the 2 extra lenses at the rear do not not move at all. The macro adapter adds another 3 elements 3 groups lens system to that. The Soligor is more the plain 6 elements 4 groups Double Gauss/Planar type. The Tokina is excellent at 0.5x and up to infinity, 1:1 covered by the macro adapter, all with a smooth bokeh.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
Considering the optical parts in the Soligor 100mm versus the parts in the Tokina 90mm 2.5, there is a lot of difference. The Tokina has 8 elements 7 groups, where the front Double Gauss is an 6/5 Ultron type. That Ultron part moves as a unit in focusing while the 2 extra lenses at the rear do not not move at all. The macro adapter adds another 3 elements 3 groups lens system to that. The Soligor is more the plain 6 elements 4 groups Double Gauss/Planar type. The Tokina is excellent at 0.5x and up to infinity, 1:1 covered by the macro adapter, all with a smooth bokeh.

Maybe if you re-read the original post, you will see I was very clear that I am NOT comparing this lens to the famed Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 'Bokina' lens. I am comparing it, rather, to Vivitar's 90mm f/2.8 1:1 macro lens which is a similar 6/4 design. Part of my curiosity actually stems from such posts elsewhere online asking about such similarities (Soligor and VS1 90mm) but which are easily refuted when looking at the specs. Upon looking into things however, I noticed this similarity with the older Komine-made 90mm f/2.8.

Blazer0ne wrote:
Our sweetgum tree also dropped lots of fruit recently. I read that animals eat the seeds inside, but I have yet to witness that.

Raking these is such a pain. haha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:
Ernst Dinkla wrote:

Maybe if you re-read the original post, you will see I was very clear that I am NOT comparing this lens to the famed Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 'Bokina' lens. I am comparing it, rather, to Vivitar's 90mm f/2.8 1:1 macro lens which is a similar 6/4 design. Part of my curiosity actually stems from such posts elsewhere online asking about such similarities (Soligor and VS1 90mm) but which are easily refuted when looking at the specs. Upon looking into things however, I noticed this similarity with the older Komine-made 90mm f/2.8.

Triggered by this line I was just musing there:

The physical appearance of the Soligor 100mm reinforces the Tokina connection as it bears such resemblance to the Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5, which we know to be made by Tokina as well. The 1:1 adapter for the Soligor is a spitting image of the 1:1 adapter for the Vivitar 90mm though the Soligor contains no optics, whereas the Vivitar does. Again, just musing here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:

I gotcha. I think because I have seen these other threads where the discussion circles around wandering whether or not this lens optically bears any relation to the VS1 90mm, I just wanted to be clear that we definitely know this cannot be the case. But the other Vivitar 90mm lens similarity was actually a surprise to me since I hadn't seen anyone mention it. But I'd never seen the optical formula for this Soligor 100mm to date either. Apologies if I came across rude!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall it reminds me of the Vivitar 90mm 2.8 Komine version more (I have it in Panagor)

Here is a sample:
What are you looking at? by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Soligor 100mm f2.8 Macro Same Formula As Vivitar 90mm f2 Reply with quote

I'm bumping this old topic to revise some repair advice I gave a year ago regarding looseness in the Soligor C/D 100's focus barrel:

To begin, for access to the screws which hold the focus barrel in place, remove the rubber focus grip. Seven screws will now be exposed.
The lower three secure the distance scale to the focus barrel, and the upper three (green circle) secure the external focus barrel to the inner focus ring. And the last, larger screw is a focus throw stopper (not shown).

In 2021 I wrote that I loosened all the focus barrel screws, pushed the focus barrel as far forward as it would go (without any further disassembly) and then retightened the screws.
That did help temporarily, but I now realize that was a mistake.

A couple days ago I took out my Soligor and the focus barrel was more wobbly than ever before! Question
So I decided to try again to find out the reason.

This time, I wanted to remove the focus barrel to see what's underneath it. These are the steps:

1) Using a friction tool, unscrew the name ring at the front of the lens. Now four screws are accessible.
2) Loosen the four screws in the brass washer, and the upper barrel with reproduction ratios printed on it will lift off.
3) If you haven't already, remove rubber focus grip - or at least fold it upward enough to get access to the lower and mid focus barrel.
4) Loosen the seven screws in the focus barrel and the barrel will lift off. The screws shouldn't need to be removed - just loosened enough to get the pieces free. But be careful with the distance scale screws - they're short and easy to lose.

In the group photo below, the center and right photos show the lens with the focus barrel removed. The green circle and arrow indicate where the focus barrel screws meet the inner focus ring.
That channel is beveled and narrower at the bottom. So for the most secure hold, the focus ring should be pushed down as far as it can go before tightening its screws.

And when I reassemble my 100, I'm going to put a drop of clear nail polish on the focus barrel screw heads to help keep them from potentially backing out.

I use my 100 just occasionally, but it will be interesting to see how long this latest fix will last.
It's surprising to me this barrel looseness is common with this 100. The build and finish quality are excellent otherwise. And I've had no such similar issues with any of my several other first generation Soligor CD lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Soligor 100mm f2.8 Macro Same Formula As Vivitar 90mm f2 Reply with quote

55 wrote:

And when I reassemble my 100, I'm going to put a drop of clear nail polish on the focus barrel screw heads to help keep them from potentially backing out.

I use my 100 just occasionally, but it will be interesting to see how long this latest fix will last.
It's surprising to me this barrel looseness is common with this 100. The build and finish quality are excellent otherwise. And I've had no such similar issues with any of my several other first generation Soligor CD lenses.

Not the best design with that slanted surface the grub screws digs into. This will put a sideways force on the screw tip and tilt it slightly in its thread. Any slight flex in the barrel or initial looseness of the screws can then literally "walk" the screws out of their threads, becoming ever more loose.

Some thread-lock/nail polish should solve that indeed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought one of the Soligor 100mm lenses. It came with the original box and the 1:1 adapter.

So far so good with the mechanical aspects. But given the above I have no intention of putting this lens through its paces mechanically. Am being very gentle.

Uncertain how rare this lens actually is. Saw it for US$90. That struck me as rather reasonable. Pulled trigger. Hoping for the best. We shall see.

These do not seem to come up for sale very often. Difficult to get a handle on actual value.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
I just bought one of the Soligor 100mm lenses. It came with the original box and the 1:1 adapter.

So far so good with the mechanical aspects. But given the above I have no intention of putting this lens through its paces mechanically. Am being very gentle.

Uncertain how rare this lens actually is. Saw it for US$90. That struck me as rather reasonable. Pulled trigger. Hoping for the best. We shall see.

These do not seem to come up for sale very often. Difficult to get a handle on actual value.

That’s often funny about very rare lenses. Because nobody knows them, nobody is looking for them and the prices are still good.

Once lenses get (online) attention, prices go up. Like the Soligor 105/2.8.
If this Soligor is Tokina made, it probably won’t disappoint.