Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 75-205mm (Kiron)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Vivitar 75-205mm (Kiron) Reply with quote

Hi guys, picked up a few bits last weekend, including 75-205mm Vivitar, Kiron/ Kino in OM Mount. After googling the lens it turns out there are 2 versions, one with push/pull zooming and focusing, one with 2 rings, this one's the former. Mixed reviews online, some say totally rank, others say on car with Series 1 quality.
It's been quite well used, but optically doesn't look too bad, aperture seems good, focus is pretty smooth but zoom seems to have drag and flat spots.
Now I do have a couple of old bodies I could stick it on but it doesn't really float my boat.
If any member fancies a dabble with this lens, I'm quite happy to let it go for postage costs only, PM me if your interested.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when this lens was available new. I saw ads from Vivitar about it where they were touting it quite highly. It might not have been a Series 1 lens, but Vivitar still felt it was a very capable lens.

The 75-205mm was sold new with a dedicated 2x teleconverter. Vivitar made a big deal out of it being a matched set. You'll probably want to add one to your 75-205. Here's an eBay listing for one in Oly mount:

Click here to see on Ebay

As you can see, its dedicated status is indicated on the TC's barrel. Given that your lens is in OM Mount, if I were in your shoes, I would buy it. The TC is located in the UK, which makes it a local buy for you.

Heh, I can't help but wonder if these two pieces were at one time a matched set that somehow got separated. And now they have the opportunity to be reunited. So, don't let it get away from you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn you cooltouch, I just bought it as you aroused my natural curiosity, apologies to other member's, lens no longer available on a free transfer!, I'm assuming this makes it around 410mm f6.7?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

The 75-205mm was sold new with a dedicated 2x teleconverter. Vivitar made a big deal out of it being a matched set. You'll probably want to add one to your 75-205. Here's an eBay listing for one in Oly mount:

I have this lens in the push and pull variant. It is a decent performer: https://www.flickr.com/photos/randomdump/albums/72157629953427284

The teleconverter I tried. It sucked so badly I tore out the glass element to turn it into a macro extension ring.

Here is a sample Left with the 2x converter, right without sized to match.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems quite odd, especially since they're a matched set. Geez, just a regular 2x should give better performance than that.

Mr. G, let us know how your set works out for you, OK? Hopefully you'll have good results.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the 3.8/75-205 made by Tokina (22 serial)?

I have one somewhere, as well as a Tokina made Series 1 3.5/70-210, I could dig them out and compare, if people want to know.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 serials are made by Kiron, as OP mentions. Tokina Vivitars have a 37xxxx serial.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
22 serials are made by Kiron, as OP mentions. Tokina Vivitars have a 37xxxx serial.

You are correct, my memory sucks sometimes. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over at the Pentax forums there are reviews of this lens. Unfortunately, the reviews are of both the two-ring and the push-pull version. It is the push-pull version that has the matched 2x teleconverter.

But both are highly regarded over there. Some of the reviews include images, and some of these are images made with the push-pull version. The images that I saw were really outstanding. With your push-pull version, I expect it to produce excellent results.

Here's a link to the reviews at the Pentax Forum:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-75-205mm-f3-8-macro-focusing.html#top

Incidentally, for those of you who are unaware, the Pentax forums have generally comprehensive reviews on a wide variety of aftermarket lenses. So if you're wondering about a lens, you might cruise on over there and see if it's been reviewed.

Last edited by cooltouch on Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OM adapter should be here tomorrow and hopefully I can get some shots posted by weekend, matched converter for some reason now showing delivery in Feb, only going from Dagenham to Chelmsford!