Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 28mm F/1.9 + A7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 28mm F/1.9 + A7 Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much more one can wish from vintage 28mm. Nice!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have an opinion between this lens and the Kiron 28 F2? this one looks very good... thanks. Allphoto lenses doesnt rate the Kiron lens highly, but rates the same lens wearing vivitar branding very highly.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these Vivitar's a long time ago, it was cheap and had a faulty aperture stop down mechanism - I just made it purely manual manual. It was and still is my most used 28 lens, I love it. And your excellent images justify my choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 28mm F/1.9 + A7 Reply with quote

DP--very nice pics--what is the location? I believe this Vivitar 28mm is made by Tokina--yes? Have you ever shot with the Vivitar Komine 28mm f/2? I hear the Kiron 28mm f/2 is prone to oil on the blades. Most enthusiasts seek the Vivitar Komine 28mm f/2 close focus when going for the vintage Vivitar 28mm primes. Care to comment? jt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 28mm F/1.9 + A7 Reply with quote

Focusthrow wrote:

DP--very nice pics--what is the location? I believe this Vivitar 28mm is made by Tokina--yes? Have you ever shot with the Vivitar Komine 28mm f/2? I hear the Kiron 28mm f/2 is prone to oil on the blades. Most enthusiasts seek the Vivitar Komine 28mm f/2 close focus when going for the vintage Vivitar 28mm primes. Care to comment? jt

The Series 1. VMC 28 f1.9 is completely different to the other Vivitar 28's. Both versions are good and well respected, but the 1.9 is very good, and not comparable really. Mine is a Tokina according to the serial number, as I believe they all are.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome ! Lens, your photos...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kiron version, 28/2, certainly is common in the Vivitar brand, I have had three at one time or another.

By reputation yours, the 28/1.9, is the better version by some way, and I've never managed to grab one, and not because I haven't tried.

Excellent work!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1
Superb photos, I'm very impressed! I have that Series 1. VMC f1.9/28mm lens laying around, certainly need to dig it out and bring it to use!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 28mm F/1.9 + A7 Reply with quote

Focusthrow wrote:

Thanks. Eastern Siberia, Russia.
Yes, this lens was made by Tokina.
Unfortunately, I did not shoot with Komine's wide-angle lenses, so I can not compare. I like this Vivitar, I have two copies. The only insignificant drawback is the large size (for the mirrorless camera). An interesting feature is a very very unusual bokeh at f/1.9. In addition, this Vivitar has a floating element, so you can get excellent results at minimal shooting distances.

Last edited by D. P. on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all! Friends

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 #7 from 1st set.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1
Very nice!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the presentation. Excellent lens by the looks of it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawd! I'm going to have to invest in an A7 eventually. That sensor loves older glass.

I've been clinging on to an old Canon S90 compact because I love the look of the images the ccd sensor produces. It might be just me, but the images the A7 range sensors produce on old glass look so similar.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Gawd! I'm going to have to invest in an A7 eventually. That sensor loves older glass.

I've been clinging on to an old Canon S90 compact because I love the look of the images the ccd sensor produces. It might be just me, but the images the A7 range sensors produce on old glass look so similar.

I'm risking incurring the wrath of other forum visitors, but I think that a good color with A7 can only be obtained using Capture One.
For this reason, I stopped using LR and everything else.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

what is the small car #8?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. P. wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

I'm risking incurring the wrath of other forum visitors, but I think that a good color with A7 can only be obtained using Capture One.
For this reason, I stopped using LR and everything else.

Can you describe the difference please? No wrath, just curious. Everything has pretty much the same capability, however there is usually a difference in settings, especially default settings. For you A7 color is better with CO. Does CO have settings LR does not? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no complaints about my colour using LR with my A7r, but I've been using a colour checker profile with both my NEX-7 and A7r.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different lenses render color differently. Part of the fun of Manual focus lenses. A recent example for me was two canon 50 f1.8 LTM lenses one single coated on multi, and the single rendered alot warmer, and was the one I kept.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskalaCafe wrote:
Like 1

what is the small car #8?

SMZ S-3D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMZ_cycle-car

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 28mm F/1.9 + A7 Reply with quote

D. P. wrote:
Focusthrow wrote:

Thanks. Eastern Siberia, Russia.
Yes, this lens was made by Tokina.
Unfortunately, I did not shoot with Komine's wide-angle lenses, so I can not compare. I like this Vivitar, I have two copies. The only insignificant drawback is the large size (for the mirrorless camera). An interesting feature is a very very unusual bokeh at f/1.9. In addition, this Vivitar has a floating element, so you can get excellent results at minimal shooting distances.

DP--your 2nd group of pics are also very beautiful & I appreciate your response concerning the Series1 Vivitar 28mm vs other Vivitar 28mm options. I bought a 28mm Komine f/2 CF: it had excessive barrel wobble/blotchy corners---returned it to Ebay seller--currently have 2 other 28mm Komine versions. I’ve shot a lot of Viv glass (particularly Komine) but my favorite is the 135mm 2.3 (Komine) Series 1. I believe there is something extra in the Vivitar Series 1 lenses.

Thought I was set for glass, but am thinking about picking up a 28mm f/1.9 Series1 lens—mostly because of your post. Best jt