Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best 120mm in M42?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Best 120mm in M42? Reply with quote

Hah! Trick question. To the best of my knowledge there is only the one lens normally available in this FL. It is actually pretty good IMHO.

the crop:

Another

and a crop:

By now most of you already know this is the Asahi Pentax Takumar 120mm 2.8 This copy is an S-M-C. Which I picked up a while back its in near mint condition with case, hood and caps.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my vote: #1. Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be a nice lens!
I’ve never used it, but I have a few Takumars and they are all pretty good. And mechanically absolutely top notch.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asahi designed for soft wide open. For portraiture.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Best 120mm in M42? Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
To the best of my knowledge there is only the one lens normally available in this FL.

I would add the CZJ Biometar 120mm F2.8 for Pentacon Six with M42 adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Best 120mm in M42? Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:
To the best of my knowledge there is only the one lens normally available in this FL.

adapted from other formats would add a few for sure. Pentax itself had (has?) A 120mm soft focus in 120. A gap in my P67 lens lineup. I'm sure there are other medium format in that FL. It is close to a "normal" FL in some of those image sizes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Best 120mm in M42? Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Gerald wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

adapted from other formats would add a few for sure. Pentax itself had (has?) A 120mm soft focus in 120. A gap in my P67 lens lineup. I'm sure there are other medium format in that FL. It is close to a "normal" FL in some of those image sizes.

I know it exists native in Exakta, perhaps in M42 too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax liked to make a lot of focal lengths, they had 100, 105, 120, 135 and 150.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Best 120mm in M42? Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

To be more exact, many telephoto lenses for P6 came from the factory with an adapter for M42 or Exakta mounts. Many years ago, I bought two brand new CZJ Sonnar 180mm F2.8 new that came with original adapters, probably made by the same factory that built the lenses. No surprise that the lenses had no focus error at infinity, a disease that plagues many modern adapters.

At that time, the word "adapter" had a different meaning from what it has today. Many lenses made by Pentacon and Carl Zeiss Jena were actually multi-format.