Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax M-A-F series Macros vs Takumar Macros
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Pentax M-A-F series Macros vs Takumar Macros Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a macro lens for my PK/M42 mount set ups.

I'm leaning towards a 50mm as it would likely be more versatile. I do have many 50mms, but none macro.

I would love a 1:1, but willing to sacrifice a bit.

I do not need AF. An "A" setting is not necesary, but it is a good bonus.

Now, my topic comes in because I've seen many "inexpensive" M 50mm/4 macros and SMC Taks 50mm/4 macros. Anyone with experience on those can share their take?

Any other recommendation?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely brilliant lenses, all of them. You could also look for a Pentax-M or SMC Takumar 100mm f/4. These you could use as a portrait lens as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the M 50 and the Super Macro Takumar 50, thats the 1:2 version.
Both are 1:2

As a practical matter for an out-in-the-field macro its very tough to go beyond 1:2 without tripods and lighting equipment, etc., something other than strolling along. I'm a very casual fellow.

I had the M 50 for 30+ years and for a long time it was my "normal" lens on my LX, as I cared nothing for bokeh, and it was the usual thing I grabbed when I just needed to take a picture with a DSLR. A picture of a lens, say. That and the 24mm were always my favorites. Its rather beat up now.

Both can easily max out your sharpness requirement on a 24mp APS-C. On that score there is little to distinguish them. If you have a Pentax body there is considerable advantage in the M as you can focus wide open and Auto stop down to your taking aperture, that is a significant convenience in close work especially. Not a consideration if you aren't using a Pentax body of course.

I haven't ever done a post on my little pal, huh. I certainly have enough

The Takumar on the other hand is I think not only more rugged, but its extremely easy to open and clean. I have had a portfolio of this in progress for, oh boy, three years now. I have to do a post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had the opportunity to try out a Pentax 50 macro, whether M42 or K-mount, but given the general reputation of Pentax lenses, I'm sure any of Pentax's macro 50s will be incredibly sharp and contrasty.

I do agree with Caspert, for the reasons he mentioned. One of the 100mm f/4 Pentax macros can be a very good selection for you, and the prices for these lenses are relatively reasonable.

I own a 100mm f/4 SMC Tak in M42 -- a late one with rubberized focusing collar. I own several excellent macro lenses and my SMC Tak is at least as good as any of them. I lucked out when I bought mine. A local camera shop was closing out all its old manual focus gear and I found mine in a bin for $40. It was in perfect condition and I didn't hesitate for a second. Sold!

I just had a look on eBay. No M42 100s, but several K-mount ones. Clean examples are going for about $110. Ones with some internal haze were going for $40-50. Still, I think that $110 for a lens of this very high quality is a good value. One top-notch non-Pentax lens worth considering is Tamron's SP 90mm f/2.5 macro. It is an extremely sharp lens.

Here are a few pics I took with my NEX 7 (at ISO 100) and my SMC Tak 100 macro.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The macro takumar 50mm F4 (without super or super-multi-coated) is the only affordable one that does 1:1 magnification. There are also two lenses in the a-series the 100mm F2.8 and the 200mm F4 that do 1:1 but those are very sought after and so pretty expensive. All other 50mm and 100mm macro's do 1:2.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Very nice Michael....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
The macro takumar 50mm F4 (without super or super-multi-coated) is the only affordable one that does 1:1 magnification.
For someone looking for this one: it is the lens with the double helicoid. The version with the single helicoid only reaches 1:2.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted some shots from the 50mm f4 a while back:

http://forum.mflenses.com/ice-storm-w-asahi-pentax-s-m-c-50mm-f4-macro-t76432,highlight,%2Basahi+%2Bpentax+%2B50mm+%2Bmacro.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

http://forum.mflenses.com/ice-storm-w-asahi-pentax-s-m-c-50mm-f4-macro-t76432,highlight,%2Basahi+%2Bpentax+%2B50mm+%2Bmacro.html

Asahi Pentax S-M-C 50mm F4 macro - so, these are with the Pentax-M, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
]For someone looking for this one: it is the lens with the double helicoid. The version with the single helicoid only reaches 1:2.

Yep - thank you for noting this, I saw the reviews for the lens at pentaxforums, and it is clear from their pictures of the lens that the 1:1 has the double helicoid... I just missed one at an aution site that sold for about $50... I was watching it and then forgot!

The search continues!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I have both the M 50 and the Super Macro Takumar 50, thats the 1:2 version.
Both are 1:2

As a practical matter for an out-in-the-field macro its very tough to go beyond 1:2 without tripods and lighting equipment, etc., something other than strolling along. I'm a very casual fellow.

I had the M 50 for 30+ years and for a long time it was my "normal" lens on my LX, as I cared nothing for bokeh, and it was the usual thing I grabbed when I just needed to take a picture with a DSLR. A picture of a lens, say. That and the 24mm were always my favorites. Its rather beat up now.

Both can easily max out your sharpness requirement on a 24mp APS-C. On that score there is little to distinguish them. If you have a Pentax body there is considerable advantage in the M as you can focus wide open and Auto stop down to your taking aperture, that is a significant convenience in close work especially. Not a consideration if you aren't using a Pentax body of course.

I haven't ever done a post on my little pal, huh. I certainly have enough

The Takumar on the other hand is I think not only more rugged, but its extremely easy to open and clean. I have had a portfolio of this in progress for, oh boy, three years now. I have to do a post.

Thank you, Luis - Appreciate the quick review of both M and Tak versions, and the technical advise re on the field use... I do like the taks a bit better, especially since I could technically use them on my Spotmatic as well.

cooltouch wrote:
I do agree with Caspert, for the reasons he mentioned. One of the 100mm f/4 Pentax macros can be a very good selection for you, and the prices for these lenses are relatively reasonable.

I own a 100mm f/4 SMC Tak in M42...

Thanks for the suggestion re 100mm - I've thought about giving these a look as well - and those sample shots speak louder than any words!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edom31 wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

Asahi Pentax S-M-C 50mm F4 macro - so, these are with the Pentax-M, right?
No, its the m42 version. Photos were taken with the a7ii. The Super Multi Coated Takumars (Abbreviated S-M-C) were produced in both mounts (at different times).Pretty sure the optics are the same between the 2, though. The later SMC (no dashes) is only in the K mount. (I think I got that right, true experts chime in if I have info garbled).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The preset m42 macro-Takumar 50mm f/4 is 1:1.

I like the A version 50mm f/2.8 a lot. Some samples in this flickr album https://flic.kr/s/aHskyRVibx (a mix of S-M-C 85/1.8 and A 50/2.8 macro, see tags).

When you only need to do close-up, I highly recommend A 50mm f/1.7, it quickly become my favorite walk around 50mm.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Super-Macro-Takumar 1:4/50 in M42 which is only 1:2 without any additional accessories (like bellows or distance rings).

However, it's a very sharp and capable lens, even on 42MP/FF and for infinity landscape as well.

Examples from my Sony A7R2 (clickable for best quality):

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eno789 wrote:

I like the A version 50mm f/2.8 a lot.

Thanks for the samples on these - I could get a copy of the A 50mm 2.8 for about $100, so I'm really considering it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

I have the Super-Macro-Takumar 1:4/50 in M42 which is only 1:2

Nice shots... I honestly do not doubt a takumar... If I end up going this way, i know what I'll get, as I do have a 35/3.5, 55/1.8 and a 50/1.4 - I'd wonder if the M and A series stack up against them...And have gotten great answers in this thread!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: To close the thread Reply with quote

Thank you all for the input and responses.

I've acquired (on their way) 2 macros that should suit my needs (both MF ofcourse):

Pentax-A 100/4 1:2

Macro-Tak 50/4 1:1

I lucked out on the latter; separately, got both for about $100 with shipping. I got the A 100/4 knowing that it has a bit of haze, which I will attempt to clean (I am just hoping that it is not in between the glued front elements).

The Preset Macro-Tak - seems to be in beautiful shape! So, all in all, I think it is a good risk/deal.

Sample shots shall come in soon! Thanks MF community.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1:1 might be a bit more delicate than the later 1:2 versions, though I've not heard of any issues, it's easily worth what you paid for both lenses, they should both serve you well. Congrats.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: To close the thread Reply with quote

Edom31 wrote:

I've acquired (on their way) 2 macros that should suit my needs (both MF ofcourse):

Pentax-A 100/4 1:2

If you get a Marumi Achromat +5 supplementary it will bring the narrowest FOV down from 70mm (FF) to 45mm but will shorten the working distance.