Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MB1 batteries
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: MB1 batteries Reply with quote

Hi all, I have an MD3 with MB1 battery case but no batteries! Initially I thought they were early rechargeable modules but it seems
that they wee just plastic inserts that held 4 AA batteries each. Does anyone know where I could get such a thing without paying a hefty price or is it just a matter of watching sales and auctions?
Is there an alternative I could use?
Thanks and best wishes for the new year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you correctly, you have an MB-1, but no battery holders for it, correct? Nikon did make Nicad packs for the MB-1 -- called the MN-1 -- but by now they will have to be rebuilt and you also need the charger for the MN-1s. So IMO you're better off with the MS-1 battery holders. And each holds 5 "AA" batteries, not 4. The battery holders for the MB-2 battery pack take 4 "AA" batteries. The MD-3 typically came with the MB-2 also, which easier to find with battery holders than the MB-1 with battery holders, and because it is easier to find, it is also cheaper.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I was in a similar situation as you. I have two MB-1s without battery holders, so I took a look on eBay as I have been doing periodically for some time now. I found no auctions or Buy It Now events for just the MS-1 battery holders, but I did find two auctions for the MB-1 with the MS-1 battery holders. One was for $100 for a clean set and another was for $300 for a like new set in the box. Too much for me. But I found an auction for a MD-2/MB-1 with MS-1 battery holders with a current bid amount of $65 and free US shipping. Reason why it was so low was because the seller claimed the motor drive didn't work. Well, I decided to bid on the set because it was sitting at a price that was considerably cheaper than the other two options I found. I won the auction at $76. A substantial savings, plus I got another MD-2 to boot.

Well when the set got here, I was impressed. Very little wear anywhere. The MD-2 looked practically unused. I told myself that such a pretty looking MD-2 should still be working. So I loaded it up with 10 batteries and mounted it to one of my F2s and Zing! Everything worked perfectly. So I got a fully working MD-2/MB-1 with MS-1s for a very good price.

I relate this to you just to show what is possible if you're willing to be patient. The good deals can still be found.

Okay, though, let's say no deals can be found and you're tired of waiting. There is still yet another alternative that will work. Radio Shack sells a 4 "AA" battery holder that will fit in the MB-2 and make contact with its contacts. Here's a link to it:

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-4-aa-battery-holder

Great thing about it is it is CHEAP. But it isn't a perfect fit. The RS battery holder is a little shorter than the MS-1, so it needs to be shimmed. I shim mine with folded up paper, which provides something of a cushion.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's encouraging, thanks Micheal.