Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

7artisans 35mm f/1.2 APSC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my artificial test on APS-C, 100% size images at all apertures. Hope it helps.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/yuriyzvonar/oh3g78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I am interested too, just expecting it will not be its main strength. Then again, the 25 1.8 was also "good enough" for me as a general walkaround lens.

The 35 1.2 is obviously better suited for e.g. portraits too. Just made one actually Laughing

#1 @ 1.2, with slight motion blur (it's a Markus Mayer artwork, before anyone gets weird ideas Wink )

#2 And one @ f/16, the lamp in my office:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered my on eBay from 7-artisans factory direct...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anacondo wrote:
Sjak wrote:
OK got mine today.

Size is almost identical to the 7artisans 25 1.8 but a bit heavier (more glass inside)

Handling is much improved, due to the focus ring being dented (on the 25, the difference between focus and aperture ring was too small, leading to regular mistakes)

Usable wide open, but of course super-thin depth of field at close focusing distances.

Looks pretty nice! Very interested to see more, especially the borders at f/4-5.6 at infinity. I hear it has a 9 blade diaphragm, are you able to get any sunstars in brilliant points of light at f/11 or smaller?

Also, where are you guys buying yours, and for how much? Any reputable sellers in Europe?

Thanks for the samples.

Here is a source in England. I know nothing about him, bought my copy from Amazon US, but I remembered reading the review and his comment that he was marketing the lens.

https://35mmc.com/shop/product/7artisans-35mm-f1-2/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperSirLink wrote:
I ordered my on eBay from 7-artisans factory direct...
They also sell directly on Amazon, i got it there because it was listed there a few days before getting listed in their ebay-store. The 25 1.8 I got from their ebay-store.

As Steve mentioned, there's a few small resellers in Europe meanwhile.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more @f/1.2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens looks pretty incredible, can't wait till my copy is delivered... Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just posted test image comparison of 7artisans 35mm F1.2 (on APS-C) with:
- Mitakon Zhongyi 35mm F0.95 MK-II
- Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 S.C

https://yukosteel.wordpress.com/2018/01/27/comparison-mitakon-35mm-f0-95-mk-ii-vs-7artisans-35mm-f1-2-vs-voigtlander-40mm-f1-4-s-c/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukosteel wrote:
Just posted test image comparison of 7artisans 35mm F1.2 (on APS-C) with:
- Mitakon Zhongyi 35mm F0.95 MK-II
- Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 S.C

https://yukosteel.wordpress.com/2018/01/27/comparison-mitakon-35mm-f0-95-mk-ii-vs-7artisans-35mm-f1-2-vs-voigtlander-40mm-f1-4-s-c/

Damn. Looking at your comparison I just realized the lens I *really* want is the Mitakon 35/0.95 Razz

Thanks everyone for your samples and contributions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anacondo wrote:

Damn. Looking at your comparison I just realized the lens I *really* want is the Mitakon 35/0.95 Razz
I've been postponing the mitakon forever, mainly due to the size/weight, and due to the fact that I find it expensive for a lens in mirrorless mount (meaning I can't use it on another system if I switch someday)

But I understand the appeal of it... maybe I will also cave in, sooner or later Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
I've been postponing the mitakon forever, mainly due to the size/weight, and due to the fact that I find it expensive for a lens in mirrorless mount (meaning I can't use it on another system if I switch someday)

But I understand the appeal of it... maybe I will also cave in, sooner or later Wink

You're right. Wish they made it in LTM mount...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukosteel wrote:

It's quite easy to calibrate the infinity focus on this lens. I've just posted the guide here:
https://yukosteel.wordpress.com/2018/01/22/7artisans-35mm-f1-2-calibrating-infinity/

Thanks again for the guide! I was able to calibrate mine slightly beyond infinity and hope it will accommodate any changes in calibration due to temperature differences. In any case, I used T2 screwdriver bit and it went smoothly as can be.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atiratha wrote:

Thanks again for the guide! I was able to calibrate mine slightly beyond infinity and hope it will accommodate any changes in calibration due to temperature differences. In any case, I used T2 screwdriver bit and it went smoothly as can be.

Like 1 small

Glad to hear it helped, thanks for the feedback. I think temperature should not affect the focus precision due to helicoid construction, so you can adjust it directly to infinity. Personally I'm still waiting for clear sky to make that adjustment on bright star : )

Thanks for the information on T2, I don't have that Torx size co couldn't try, and T3 only worked for me because bolts still accept it from the top. I'll update the guide, using T2 will be better option.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just created public Flickr group for 7artisans 35mm F1.2 lens, will keep posting further images there:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/4484997@N23/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukosteel wrote:
Just created public Flickr group for 7artisans 35mm F1.2 lens, will keep posting further images there:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/4484997@N23/

I joined, will contribute once my lens arrives... Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine today in the mail... Got to shoot with it a bit inside, low light, wide open... I have to say I am really loving it... Going to take getting used to the de-click aperture, but it will just take some getting used to... The shallow depth of field is great, not the sharpest lens, but to me this is not going to be used where I am over concerned with sharpness...

DSCF3271.jpg by smtremel, on Flickr

DSCF3270.jpg by smtremel, on Flickr

DSCF3274.jpg by smtremel, on Flickr

DSCF3234.jpg by smtremel, on Flickr

I added some more to yukosteel's Flickr group...

Last edited by SuperSirLink on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile I've taken mine with me on a trip. It really shines in indoors/evenings situations. In daylight, the flaring is challenging, although that can probably be corrected with a hood (but that would partially negate the size-advantage of the lens.
But I like it so much that I am totally fine with it being a more specific lens. Money well spent Razz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovered the lens does pretty well at macro with some macro extension rings...
https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Fujifilm-Extension-Extreme-Close-up/dp/B00D9BL20Y/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518382736&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=fotodiox+fuji+extension+right...

These are all 100%, no crop...

#1 Just shy of a 2:1 magnification...

#2 Keyboard min focus distance, f/16

#3 Round Reflector, f/8

#4 Lichen on a Tree Branch, f/16

#5 This is two shots that were focus stacked...

#1 Shortest combination of tubes...

#2 Largest combination of tubes...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
In daylight, the flaring is challenging, although that can probably be corrected with a hood (but that would partially negate the size-advantage of the lens.

As I'm ALWAYS using lens shades for obvious reasons, I'm preferably using those cheap Chinese rubber ones which are collapsible. They cost almost nothing and if not in use you can easily fold them. The only downside is that they do not last forever. They are available at Ebay for 1 to 2 EUR/USD incl. shipping.

Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general I agree re. lens shades.

But in this case, and for my use, I'm not sure if I will even bother. Without shade, the lens is even more discrete/unobtrusive, which is an advantage in my use of the lens.

With the extremely short focus throw from 3m to infinity, I found it hard to focus accurately beyond a few meters, especially in the cold wind earlier this week. So I will use it (almost) exclusively for indoors and/or evening use. It's small and light enough to take with me specifically for this purpose. Or maybe I'll get one of those small vented metal shades, just for a bit of added protection on the lens (it's bound to hit something someday, in a bar or other social context Mr. Green )

I can very well imagine a 2-lens-kit, consisting of this one, and e.g. the 7a 25mm 1.8 or the Fuji 18mm (actually, I used it together with the 18 on my last trip, and a Sigma thrown in for fun)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally implemented click-stop to this lens : )
https://yukosteel.wordpress.com/2018/05/22/click-stop-aperture-for-7artisans-35mm-f1-2-lens/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukosteel wrote:
Finally implemented click-stop to this lens : )
https://yukosteel.wordpress.com/2018/05/22/click-stop-aperture-for-7artisans-35mm-f1-2-lens/

This is so cool! Would pay to have this done... "wink-wink". The only dislike I have for this lens...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job!
But a bit tricky to do precisely.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Disassembly - front area of 7artisans 35mm F1.2 lens Reply with quote

One more 7artisans 35mm F1.2 lens article - Disassembly – 7artisans 35mm F1.2 lens [part 2]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone of the owners here who will try it on a full frame Sony A7 camera and see how bad vignetting is?

Would be very nice if someone could post different test images from close to far focus and from open to closed aperture.

Because vignetting is already there at aps-c crop I doubt there is much more than aps-c covered but it is still interesting to see Thank you!