Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 50mm f/1.3 ??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Nikon 50mm f/1.3 ?? Reply with quote

I can buy this camera with the lens for $ 80.- included shipping. Will that be a good price? I have searched the web and not found anything about this lens. Is this a very rare item that may be worth a lot of money?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon 50mm f/1.3 ?? Reply with quote

Eriksen wrote:
I can buy this camera with the lens for $ 80.- included shipping. Will that be a good price? I have searched the web and not found anything about this lens. Is this a very rare item that may be worth a lot of money?

The lens is the Nikon Series E 50mm f1.8.
Not rare and not a bad lens at all.
I am unsure of the price but it sounds OK for the camera and lens including postage.
Not a bargain though
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I only Buy old lenses for their usefulness and capability,not their monetary value.Speculation spoils things for everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a 3 but it must be a damaged 8. You can see 1.8 on the top of the lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same optical design as the 50/1.8 AI in a flimsier package and coatings that aren't up to the standards of AIS glass. Expect colors that aren't as saturated.

You can do better.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the real world, you'll really struggle to see a difference, another example is the Oly Zuiko 1.8/50, which comes in both MC and pre-MC versions (I am reluctant to call it 'single coated' as that implies one single coating layer, but that isn't the case). Anyways, it is almost impossible to discern a difference between the MC and pre-MC variants. So the main difference you will see with the Series E is in the sturdiness and build quality which is still great, just not the 'built to survive a nuclear war' robustness of the older Nikkors.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
In the real world, you'll really struggle to see a difference, another example is the Oly Zuiko 1.8/50, which comes in both MC and pre-MC versions (I am reluctant to call it 'single coated' as that implies one single coating layer, but that isn't the case). Anyways, it is almost impossible to discern a difference between the MC and pre-MC variants. So the main difference you will see with the Series E is in the sturdiness and build quality which is still great, just not the 'built to survive a nuclear war' robustness of the older Nikkors.

I respectfully beg to differ.
Have a series E 75-150; great lens, sharp, but it flares, colors are not very saturated and contrast is medium at best. Once owned the E 100/2.8 and it displayed similar characteristics.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had less than clean copies then, the 2.8/100 in particular, is not normally as you describe.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Sounds like you had less than clean copies then, the 2.8/100 in particular, is not normally as you describe.

As best as I can recall, it's been a long time. Over time, the 100 was replaced by a CV 2,5/125 and Leica 100/2.8 R so my basis for comparison became a bit skewed.

In any event, the Nikon 105/2.5 was overall a better optical choice and for not a lot more ciost.