Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 28mm f/2, My new favorite lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD 28mm f/2, My new favorite lens Reply with quote

It took almost 4 months to this lens arrive from Poland to Brazil... wow...

Processed on Aperture 3, with very little sharpening and a little punch on the colors.

Wide open:

Around f/5.6 - f/8

I'm trying to upload the full samples with no success... I'll keep trying

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think the beach shot is great.....I haven't bought a Minolta 28mm f2.8 as I'm sure I read that it's nothing special but the 28mm f2 might be the exception, anyway with a bit of luck I should get a Vivitar 28mm f2.8 close focus lens for Minolta in the post, this is supposed to be a very good lens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well I think the beach shot is great.....I haven't bought a Minolta 28mm f2.8 as I'm sure I read that it's nothing special but the 28mm f2 might be the exception, anyway with a bit of luck I should get a Vivitar 28mm f2.8 close focus lens for Minolta in the post, this is supposed to be a very good lens.

Which one is that? I have a Viv 28 2.8 Komine made and a Tokina made, I just got them and I need to test them more... but the Viv Komine made looks sharp and with good bokeh.

But the Minolta 28 f/2 looks so good wide open, better than my 35 f/1.8 Rokkor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan Lee wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Which one is that? I have a Viv 28 2.8 Komine made and a Tokina made, I just got them and I need to test them more... but the Viv Komine made looks sharp and with good bokeh.

This Komine, I was the only one really interested and won at a cheap price.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280461013169&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Ivan Lee wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

This Komine, I was the only one really interested and won at a cheap price.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280461013169&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I think that's the same I have here...but mine is just a bit different, the focus grip is a little thinner and the feet marking is white instead of blue.

look here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160384403033&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

btw...the initial pics I took looks promising, better than the Tokina version.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***I think that's the same I have here...but mine is just a bit different, the focus grip is a little thinner and the feet marking is white instead of blue.

look here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160384403033&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT***

Got that one for an Olympus but the one I've won should have "close focus" on the lens like this:-
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2169/2432365252_2ec57f4044.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
***I think that's the same I have here...but mine is just a bit different, the focus grip is a little thinner and the feet marking is white instead of blue.

look here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160384403033&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT***

Got that one for an Olympus but the one I've won should have "close focus" on the lens like this:-
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2169/2432365252_2ec57f4044.jpg

Nice! post some samples when you get it Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! superb portrait & night capture

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan, I've just recently bought the same lens as yours, Vivitar (Komine) 2.8/28 wide angle (not close-focus) MD mount. I haven't used it on the Minolta yet but I will be as soon as I get a chance.

You know why I bought it? I've had the M42 version for about 30 years and for about 20 of them it was my only wide angle lens. It's soft wide open, but by 5.6 you couldn't ask for more. This is with the M42 version on Canon 400D, RAW files resized only:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed the ordinary Komine 28mm f2,8 Vivitar is a very good lens, I would use it more but had a bit of LBA (as it was going cheap) for an Olympus, and I don't use that camera much.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a fabulous beach Ivan! I've seen many pics of it before, but not from that angle with the Sugar Loaf in the background. The lens seems to have an impressive DOF at f2 but I'm not really keen on the blown highlights. Is that lens flare or did you deliberately increase the exposure? I wonder how it would look if you turned it down a little.

My Rokkor 28 is the old MC 3.5. I haven't really done enough with it yet but the colours seem almost as impressive as yours.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice shots ivan. it sounds great to have such a fast 28mm--ive been looking for one for a while. do you use this lens with your panny 4/3s cameras?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing shots by Ivan and Peter. I have the Rokkor-X 28mm/f2, the normal (non CF) Komine 28mm/f2.8, the Minolta MD 28mm/2.8. I definitely should go out and shoot more instead of chasing lenses on evilBay Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Wow, what a fabulous beach Ivan! I've seen many pics of it before, but not from that angle with the Sugar Loaf in the background. The lens seems to have an impressive DOF at f2 but I'm not really keen on the blown highlights. Is that lens flare or did you deliberately increase the exposure? I wonder how it would look if you turned it down a little.

My Rokkor 28 is the old MC 3.5. I haven't really done enough with it yet but the colours seem almost as impressive as yours.

yeah, I just noticed this flare...maybe I exagerated on the exposure...
at least I can have an idea of the sharpness wide open

actually the back of the sugar loaf is just in the right out of the frame... in the background we can see the "morro 2 irmãos" (two brothers) and pedra da gávea (Gavea's Stone) and the Cantagalo and Pavão Pavãozinho slums.
This is the Leme beach with Copacabana on the background Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, nice samples of the Vivitar Komine... I must take more shots with it... but I was quite impressed with the overall quality of the lens... my version looked pretty ok wide open... better than the Vivitar Tokina, with better bokeh too

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
nice shots ivan. it sounds great to have such a fast 28mm--ive been looking for one for a while. do you use this lens with your panny 4/3s cameras?

I use them only with my Panny G1/GH1 cameras

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all, what do you think of this lens? is it repairable?
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

Hi, I've reposted your link & it works OK now. I think maybe this is the antispam filter for first-time posters, you should be OK to post links from now on.

Who knows about this lens? It's been dropped or banged heavily, the filter ring is badly dented and the focus dial has been distorted and jammed. Probably the glass and diaphragm has some damage too which the seller hasn't described or noticed. The lens will need to be dismantled (if that is possible), the focus dial will need reshaping, which is a difficult job, and maybe other work as well. You won't be able to use a filter again on this lens, and maybe a hood too.

It's certainly not a collector's item, but if you can get it for $5 max then maybe it's worth a go. I'd save my money and look for a better one.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you will get it for 5. Add a zero and I think that's where it will wind up.I wouldn't pay it but I have a feeling someone will. Might go as low as 20, but I doupt it. We shall see.
Anyway I agree with Peter big gamble on this lens.

There is a nice one on Ebay with case and hood.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-MD-W-Rokkor-X-28mm-f-2-35mm-Camera-Lens-w-Case-/330432131406?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item4cef4a314e

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst of the damage is in pic 2. No way to mount a hood on this one.
But the 28mm f2.8 is almost the same in looks. I have a feeling you could switch out the front barrel from one.
I wish the pics were better its hard to tell how bad the damage is. It does say the focus is stuck so it might go dirt cheap.Can't really tell how bad that dent is in the other photo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theme up - about 8 years after previous post Smile
Another one Minolta MD 28mm F2.0 test