Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

135mm Tele Prime choices?
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal usage - using them to make pleasing pictures, rather than a fringe obsession such as squinting at 100% crops of the outer corners of the image looking for signs of uncorrected aberrations.





The other 135 I really love is the Konica Hexanon 3.2/135, it's amazing close up, whereas the Sonnar shines more at distance.


PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more that I didn't think of when I wrote my first response. The Canon LTM 3.5/100 (which is an absolutely stunning performer, small but surprisingly hefty for its size as Canon was into chromed brass lenses back then) and the Canon LTM 3.5/135mm, another stunning performer but larger and heavier than the 100mm.


PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best 135mm is by far the Sony Sonnar Zeiss 135/1.8. I bought it second hand, in mint condition, for less than half the new price. The lens is heavy and bulky, but sharpness and bokeh are outstanding, even wide open. I also think the AF is a plus, although I mostly use MF.


PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hexanon 3.2/135 going cheap on ebay UK:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Konica-Hexanon-135mm-f-3-2/192399714982?hash=item2ccbeaaaa6:g:kzEAAOSwZlZaFxle


PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a slower Schneider-Kreuznach Tele-Xenar 3.5/135 i really enjoyed using
for its handling and for its colours .... The thing was as old as me !

a faster EBC Fujinon-T 2.5/135 from the '70s wasn't mentioned, really nice colours

Unless your a pro, shooting for posters, you'll have fun with most of these old things !


PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite happy with my compact Minolta MD Rokkor 135mm 2.8 (5/5 lens) as it is compact, has integrated shade and focuses smoothly on top of what Steve had to say about it. Very cheap.


PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Normal usage - using them to make pleasing pictures, rather than a fringe obsession such as squinting at 100% crops of the outer corners of the image looking for signs of uncorrected aberrations.

I will make a separate posting and explain why such things are quite important in my work. Just one example from this morning - a large 14m high coloured glass window i had to shoot, for a fine-art book.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

...
The other 135 I really love is the Konica Hexanon 3.2/135, it's amazing close-up ...

We certainly agree about that Wink

Stephan


PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, just had a rush of blood and ordered this Praktica 135 2.8 , this is the part where you tell me I bought the worst 135mm Laugh 1

On the plus side it was cheap, and will let me have some time with the focal range and decide if it suits me, then (assuming this one isn't amazing) I can start looking for something better. I promise all your great advice has not gone to waste and is very much appreciated.







PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAddict wrote:
Sorry guys, just had a rush of blood and ordered this Praktica 135 2.8 , this is the part where you tell me I bought the worst 135mm Laugh 1

On the plus side it was cheap, and will let me have some time with the focal range and decide if it suits me, then (assuming this one isn't amazing) I can start looking for something better. I promise all your great advice has not gone to waste and is very much appreciated.







I would be very surprised if this was anything other than a good lens.
Most 135mm lenses are.
On the plus side - it looks unused.
Share your images with it if you would like to
Tom


PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:


I would be very surprised if this was anything other than a good lens.
Most 135mm lenses are.
On the plus side - it looks unused.
Share your images with it if you would like to
Tom


Thanks, fingers crossed, I'll be sure to share a few and my findings.


PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice one that I use and it is light and compact is the EBC Fujinon X 135/3,5 .Good oltics for everyday use.


PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 135s in my collection
-Vivitar VMC 135/2.3, heavy lens, not tried it yet
-Vivitar 135/2.8 CF, most versatile one, sharp at inf and works well on close too when stopped down, purple fringing is quiet visible at F2.8.
-Steinheil Quinar 135/2.8, beautiful lens, the corner never become sharp, excellent for portraits.
-Rollei HTF Sonnar 135/2.8, zeiss color with good contrast, sharpness is decent, mfd is a bit long(1.5m)
-Piesker 135/3.5, an interesting triplet with long mfd.
-Various 135/4.5 enlargers..... Although they are slow, they do have different characters.

You can find samples on my threads forum or my flickr, except the first one.


PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in replying. I finally got out to have a go with the Praktica 135 f/2.8 today. The sun was very low, but got a few nice photos for my first real attempt with the lens. Since I posted this thread I've picked up two more praktica lenses, the 50mm f/1.8 and the 28mm f/2.8 macro capable. I also have a 35mm Flektogon f/2.4 on the way so I have a few to be playing with now.

Here's a link to today photos

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmaHzAJ6

DSC07230 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr