Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fact help?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Fact help? Reply with quote

Hi.
Does anybody know anything or have information about this lens? I found it on a flea market for 9 € (euro).
Its in perfect condition, nearly as new. no dust inside or anything. Looks like it not coated. I have searched the web for information but have not found anything special for this lens. There are some information about what seems to be a later one. Could this be a Tomioka lens ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll take a look. First post photos are blocked until replied to as anti-spam measure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I would say highly likely it is a Tomioka product. Every lens with that livery (2 silver lines, pebble leather grip, orange distance marks, diamond indesx mark) that I have positively ID'd has been made by Tomioka. Look in images when you google "Tominon" to see a few examples.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

copy paste reply

Hi.
Does anybody know anything or have information about this lens? I found it on a flea market for 9 € (euro).
Its in perfect condition, nearly as new. no dust inside or anything. Looks like it not coated. I have searched the web for information but have not found anything special for this lens. There are some information about what seems to be a later one. Could this be a Tomioka lens ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fact help? Reply with quote

Chardin wrote:

Hi.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fact help? Reply with quote

Welcome Chardin

Last edited by visualopsins on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I see fake silver I say Sun, but it may not be accurate in this case. The "maker" is often useless anyway since at some time all of Japan was like a big syndicate, helping each other out. It is the design that counts.

In your case, the 35/2.8 and typical A/M switch make me suspect a clunker design I own a copy of too. It is not really bad but I never got a sharp shot.

Does the lens feel heavy, like you could throw it at someone to kill? If so, someone just made a $8 profit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same lens with "Pentor" brandname on it. Also a 100mm f/2.8 in the same design.

Use it, it's actually quite good!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: F11 Reply with quote

At F11, the corners are not sharp on my FF camera.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: F11 Reply with quote

Chardin wrote:

Last time i tried it was indeed on APS-C. I have never tried it on the A7.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: F11 Reply with quote

Chardin wrote:

Understood. But of course that might not be the fault, or at least not entirely the fault, of the lens. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put it on the A7 tomorrow and see what it gives me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see here as well:

http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/641-tomioka-auto-revuenon-55mm-f-1-2-16

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i knew that it has the same design. Somewhere on this forum there is a thread with some great shots made with a 100mm f/2.8 lens in this same design. But i cannot remember what brandname was on that one.... i do remember however that it was most possibly a Tomioka lens.

I have that same 100mm lens, but if recall correctly mine had the focus throw in just the opposite direction.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomioka lenses are definitely a mixed bag. Some are stellar (just look at the prices paid for the 55mm 1.2) though not all. I had a Focal labelled 135mm 2.8 that was OK but certainly not a top performer. My guess is they manufactured to a price point specified by the third party.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this Auto Chinon 55 f1.7 for a long time ( and a newer version that I believe is optically the same ) and I keep looking for evidence that this is a Tomioka lens, I've looked long and hard. And I'm still not convinced it is, no matter how much I would like it to be because it would be worth a lot more if I sold it.

Are Tomioka's worth the premium price they seem to attract? i don't know.....this 55 / 1.7 is a very good lens, but I've got better ( and plenty worse ) The style of the leathergrain grip with the chrome edge rings is Tomioka, but it's a style I've seen on some absolute junk lenses as well, obviously copied.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 35/2.8 in FD mount. I don't think I've used it yet.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: 55mm f1,4 Reply with quote

I have this 55mm f1,4. I´ll have to take it out and try it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 55mm f1,4 Reply with quote

Chardin wrote:

I have this 55mm f1,4. I´ll have to take it out and try it.

Also marketed as Revuenon 1.4/55. Some Revue slr cameras are Chinon as well. The lens is very good!

Staring... by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: thank´s Reply with quote

Thank you for all replies, this forum are very nice and interesting. It have been a good help before getting new (old) lenses.

This is pictures from last summer, taken with a Canon 5DII. Waiting for this summer and going out with my Sony instead.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: F11 Reply with quote

Chardin wrote:

I wouldn't blame the lens too hastily. I see that the upper left corner is far blurrier than the other three, which are not all that terrible actually. That blurriness may be caused by wind, which is always a possibility with branches. I would try the shoot again with something more steady in the corners, like a brick wall or something. Less pleasing than a nice branch, but it stays put. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: blur Reply with quote

That's right ill have to try the lens some more.