Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor C/D 3.5/35-105
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Soligor C/D 3.5/35-105 Reply with quote

I've had this lens for ages and never got round to trying it. Precious little info on the net on this one, is it a Sun?

I think it's the same, despite some minor aesthetic differences to the lens shown here, with funky bokeh:

http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-c-d-35-105mm-f3-5-macro-t71733.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina according to serial number scheme of other Soligors...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sun 24-40/3.5. You lens's cosmetics look exactly like my lens's, although the fonts are slightly different. So I think yours is probably a Sun. And probably a good performer. My 24-40 certainly is.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sun 24-40

Who made the Hoya shown in http://forum.mflenses.com/hoya-hmc-3-5-35-105-t69313.html and http://forum.mflenses.com/hoya-hmc-zoom-and-macro-35-105mm-13-5-72-t32812.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did some browsing and this soligor is entirely distinct from the one-touch tokina rmc 35-105mm that was just about all the search hits. I did turn up a super travenar that looks the same, and the Hoya is very similar and tends to corroborate the tokina attribution, hoyas are normally rebadged/remodelled tokinas.
But then I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eDilHcvHU4

This 2 ring tokina rmc 35-105mm looks the same as the soligor to me. So this is the predecessor to the one touch version, I can guess, of the same series as the 2 ring 70-210mm I have.

UPDATE the vivitar version has a bit different design.

Last edited by marcusBMG on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:06 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! The focal length adjustment also sliding along the barrel should be identical on Soligor...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hoya is definitely a Tokina, so it looks like my Soligor is the same lens and also a Tokina.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's the same as the 2 ring Tokina in the youtube video, with the unique focal length ring that slides along the body to enter macro mode.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visualopsins, your Sun 24-40 is a dead ringer to mine, right down to that funky Macro switch. Given the very similar nature of the 24-40's cosmetics to Ian's Soligor's, might it be that Tokina built the Sun 24-40? Or did sun make all of its lenses?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did nobody else watch the video? Ian's Soligor looks identical to the Tokina in the video. Notice the focal length adjustment also slides along the lens barrel; two functions - turn radially, the focal length is adjusted; slide along barrel to enter macro mode. I've never seen other lenses like these!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Soligor looks like the earlier of the two Tokina-built versions of the Vivitar 35-105/3.5, while the Hoya looks a lot like the later version -

http://boggys.co.uk/page115.html

I have a copy of the 2nd Vivitar version in Pentax K-mount (multicoated, too).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoop there it is....

Thanks fwcetus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added a review page at PF, can you guys provide some pics?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:

You can take my photos from the link in the first post if you want.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks blotafton..
Those have worked great - I tweaked them slightly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:

OK, here's for the Vivitar 2nd version (and note that this is in K-mount trim, which conflicts a bit with the info on the above Pentax Forums page) -

Note also that this 2nd version is a multicoated version (not shown on the front bezel, but denoted in the specs page from the owners manual) -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ian's lens is a Tokina, the serial number identification that's been arrived at is probably accurate anyway.

I've got four CD lenses, and one early IS lens with Soligor's short lived interchangeable mount that has all the characteristics of the CD range

The 70-210 Macro is the big brother of that 35-105 in every respect, including the 175***** serial number - Tokina

My 28 f2 is also a Tokina with a 174****** number, it has exactly the same gloss finish but slightly different style with cut outs for the focus and aperture numbers

The IS 200 f2.8 also looks cosmetically identical, the rubber grip and paint etc are the same, but it has 379****** serial number - SUN. And the script is also the squared of type that SUN used a lot. And the same script is used on the two short zooms, which also have SUN serial numbers. 38********

There are great similarities between the SUN and the Tokina range of Soligor CD lenses, but enough differences that make me trust the serial numbers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is it any good??