Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leitz xenon 5cm 1.5 value
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Leitz xenon 5cm 1.5 value Reply with quote

I gather from a bit of Google fu that this lens predates the summarit. I might have a chance to pick up an "as is" copy of this for just over 100USD. What would a good copy be worth? I am finding no other examples for sale and no sales history on e bay.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Leitz xenon 5cm 1.5 value Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
no sales history on e bay.
there are a few current offerings on ebay (.com and .de)

For investment, depending on what issues "as is" implies, it may or may not be a good deal. It's a rare lens, so spare parts are not abundant.

This lens was a Schneider Kreuznach design. At the time, Leitz was a bit behind Zeiss in releasing its own f/1.5-lens, so it licensed SK for a while.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Xenon_f%3D_5_cm_1:1.5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is mechanically good, you can use it as a donor even the optically part is damaged.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The design history of the 1.5/5cm Xenon is rather complicated. Taylor, Taylor & Hobson first had a patent for a 1.5 5 cm lens and granted Schneider Kreuznach a license to produce and sell lenses with their design. Leitz was working along the same lines and Leitz and Schneider decided to cooperate. The Xenon was the result. As Summarit it appeared after WWII in a coated version, and would be the basis for the first Summilux 50mm lens.
Lex