Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 50mm f/1.3 ??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Nikon 50mm f/1.3 ?? Reply with quote

I can buy this camera with the lens for $ 80.- included shipping. Will that be a good price? I have searched the web and not found anything about this lens. Is this a very rare item that may be worth a lot of money?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon 50mm f/1.3 ?? Reply with quote

Eriksen wrote:
I can buy this camera with the lens for $ 80.- included shipping. Will that be a good price? I have searched the web and not found anything about this lens. Is this a very rare item that may be worth a lot of money?

The lens is the Nikon Series E 50mm f1.8.
Not rare and not a bad lens at all.
I am unsure of the price but it sounds OK for the camera and lens including postage.
Not a bargain though
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I only Buy old lenses for their usefulness and capability,not their monetary value.Speculation spoils things for everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a 3 but it must be a damaged 8. You can see 1.8 on the top of the lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same optical design as the 50/1.8 AI in a flimsier package and coatings that aren't up to the standards of AIS glass. Expect colors that aren't as saturated.

You can do better.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the real world, you'll really struggle to see a difference, another example is the Oly Zuiko 1.8/50, which comes in both MC and pre-MC versions (I am reluctant to call it 'single coated' as that implies one single coating layer, but that isn't the case). Anyways, it is almost impossible to discern a difference between the MC and pre-MC variants. So the main difference you will see with the Series E is in the sturdiness and build quality which is still great, just not the 'built to survive a nuclear war' robustness of the older Nikkors.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
In the real world, you'll really struggle to see a difference, another example is the Oly Zuiko 1.8/50, which comes in both MC and pre-MC versions (I am reluctant to call it 'single coated' as that implies one single coating layer, but that isn't the case). Anyways, it is almost impossible to discern a difference between the MC and pre-MC variants. So the main difference you will see with the Series E is in the sturdiness and build quality which is still great, just not the 'built to survive a nuclear war' robustness of the older Nikkors.

I respectfully beg to differ.
Have a series E 75-150; great lens, sharp, but it flares, colors are not very saturated and contrast is medium at best. Once owned the E 100/2.8 and it displayed similar characteristics.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had less than clean copies then, the 2.8/100 in particular, is not normally as you describe.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Sounds like you had less than clean copies then, the 2.8/100 in particular, is not normally as you describe.

As best as I can recall, it's been a long time. Over time, the 100 was replaced by a CV 2,5/125 and Leica 100/2.8 R so my basis for comparison became a bit skewed.

In any event, the Nikon 105/2.5 was overall a better optical choice and for not a lot more ciost.