Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fujica GL690
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Fujica GL690 Reply with quote

Hi there folks,
have somebody met machine like this? Came out from Fujica "G" family if I can mark it like that. This one is special with changing bayonet.
In terms of technical data it is really nice middle format cam with approximatelly 6x9 cm large image size.

For comparision to 23,5x30cm print is not that big. Isn't it? =)

Still trying to use on rangefinder focusing and framing. Finder is situated here on the top left:

Here is the possibility to use sheet film with that and roll/sheet switcher with Japanese letters (really like this part).

Flash hot shoe. There is X-sync contact on the lens itself. Film type switcher from 4 exp. 120 (there were special short films) , 8 exp. 120 and 16 exposures with 220 film. And large winder.

And in the end lens. Every lens from this series have aperture and shutter (leaf shutter Seiko brand) inside. Standard lens is Fujinon 100/3.5 (tessar type). There is Auto exposure type also with mettering and except 65mm, 150mm, 180mm there is special 50/5.6 lens.

Here is F-stop with shutter times and focusing.

Who finished it to the end until here I have good news. Trying to get some Epson flatbed scanner to digitalize my fresh negsfrom this cam. So maybe I post some here to certify how is shooting with that large rangefinder.

Have good light.

Last edited by spleenone on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great camera you have. Most of the Fuji Gx690 series (GW690, GW690II, GW690III, GSW690, GSW690II, GSW690III) have a fixed lens. The model with the bayonet mount is not as common. Looking on eBay just now, almost all of the interchangeable lens 690s are coming from Japan.

The Fuji Gx690 series are often referred to as "Texas Leicas" -- not because they were made in Texas, but because of the "everything is bigger in Texas" mindset, it picked up the nickname.

Enjoy it. Those Fuji lenses are first rate.

Last edited by cooltouch on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael. Yeah "Texas Leica" that is it. Really applicable nickname. What is tempting in that bayonet is maybe Fujinon SWS 50/5.6. I would welcome some faster glass but it compensates with better and slower handheld times over sharp images. Really looking forward on those scans.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a 50mm with a 6x9 sized negative or slide would be pretty awesome. There are none on US eBay at the moment. A few 65s, and they're priced around what you can buy the GL690 w/100mm f/3.5 for. The 50 will be even more.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one in some forum for 1000 dollars. So damn pricey. Heard once that others lesnes for this Fujica was manufactured a lot less than standard 100/3.5. And that 50mm is quite rare. Even close focus adapter for 100/3.5 is hard to get.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A size comparison - this is the GM670

Big and Bigger II, the sequel by Jussi, on Flickr

Fujica GM670 - Nikon F100 - Iittala lintu by Jussi, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for contribution. I would say that GM670 and GL690 has similiar body dimensions if not the same. Difference is mainly inside with the format which they cover. But 8 frames to 10 that is a contrast.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I promised, I made couple scans from this rangefinder. These were shot all with Fujinon 100/3.5 lens. Scanned on Epson V600. Vuescan soft. For instance:

#1 shot on Kodak Ektacolor Pro 160 expired from year 2000. Exposed as 100asa. Negs came out little thin (or how to correctly name it) but able to scan as we can see.

#2 shot on Fujifilm NPC 160 expired in 2006 or so. Exposed as 160 and no problem. Dense and good negs came out.
This was street shot and man on pic did not ever noticed that was captured. Thanks to silent sound of shutter.

#3 last on Fuji Neopan Acros 100 pushed to 800asa. Dev in Microphen. Film maintain night shooting very well.