Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Three of my Favorite Tamrons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Three of my Favorite Tamrons Reply with quote

The three favorites are the 01BB 24mm f/2.5, the 30A SP 80-200mm f/2.8 LD, and the 60B SP 300mm f/2.8 LDIF.

A few years back we had to have a couple of trees removed from our back yard. It had been a very hot summer and those old pine trees just couldn't handle it. We hired a tree removal service for the job. And I decided to shoot some pictures of them in action. I decided to use my Canon EF for the task. The following images are scans from negatives. I don't recall the film used, probably Kodak 200, since that's what I usually have laying around.

I don't recall the specific lens used on some of these shots, so I'll be guessing.

This little guy (he stood about five feet tall) climbed these trees like he was part monkey.

The following were either the 80-200 or the 300/2.8. Most likely the 300/2.8:

This was taken with the 24mm:

And I know for sure these two were taken with the 80-200. I'm amazed these guys weren't using protective eyewear:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog Especially like the action shots with sawdust flying.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

+1. Great photos!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like manual-focus Tamron lenses a lot, they are usually both ergonomically well designed and very good optically. Only two days ago I received a 200mm f/3.5 bought for £9 including postage ... very happy!

I have the 28mm, the 90mm, the 135mm and the 200-500mm that I have owned for very many years, they still work as well as ever! I had to retire my 28-200 #171A due to fungus internally that I couldn't get cleaned. The replacement 18-200 AF lens is very good optically, but almost impossible to use in manual focus because the focus rotation is too short to focus accurately Sad

If anyone knows where I might find disassembly instructions for the 28-200mm #171A lens, I'd appreciate it Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

+2

great pictures

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Pic 7 with the sawdust flying is excellent cooltouch. Tells it all.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots Michael,I have the same Tamrons as you +a few other rare but great Tamrons including the fairly rare 180mm f2.8 Anniversary edition.I will be 78 in January and the time has come to divest myself of many lenses I have collected over a 60+ year of Photography,so watch Market place over next few weeks for some interesting lenses and Cameras for sale.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kryss, I'll also be a year older in January -- "only" 65, but I've decided that I'll let my heirs worry about what to do with my photo gear. I've learned my lesson. I will no longer sell any of it, unless there are duplicates.

Well, I wish I had the funds to pick up your Tamron 180/2.5. Years ago, in another life, I was a camera dealer and I briefly owned a copy of that lens. I knew then that it was something special, but at the time "something special" meant extra $$$ in my pocket, and I went for the $$$. My attitude is different now, even though the lens commands significantly more dinero than it did back then.

I don't know if I have any rare Tamrons or not. I'd be interested in finding out which you consider rare. I know about the special 2x TC of which only a few were made. Don't have one of those.

I have a pretty decent Tamron collection, but of the collection, none of which are rare to my knowledge, only a few favorites: The 151B 17mm f/3.5, 52B 90mm f/2.5 macro, 30A 80-200mm f/2.8 LD, 60B 300mm f/2.8 LDIF, and the monster, the 31A 200-500mm f/5.6. However, any of my Tamrons will perform well if called upon. All save one are SPs. The one non-SP is the 24mm, but it performs as if it were one. The only reason why I didn't list in in my favorites selection is because I have both a Canon FD 24mm f/2.8 SSC and a Nikon AIs 24mm f/2.8.

Sciolist, yeah that seventh photo really tells it like it is. Whenever I look at it I cringe. Those guys behaved very professionally. They were fast and did a thorough job -- but what were they thinking, sawing up those trees with no eye protection?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Sciolist, yeah that seventh photo really tells it like it is. Whenever I look at it I cringe. Those guys behaved very professionally. They were fast and did a thorough job -- but what were they thinking, sawing up those trees with no eye protection?

I have no idea. As someone who chainsaws logs for a wood-burner, it makes me cringe. And of course it's not just wood chips you have to worry about, but the possibility of liberating such as a metal nail that the tree has enveloped over time.

The guys my way all use those all-in-one helmet/visor/ear-defender combo's.