Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Will anyone be interested in glued lens delamination service
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Will anyone be interested in glued lens delamination service Reply with quote

Hello.

I've managed to purchase used, but still working device, which uses high temperature and vacuum, to de-laminate glued lens elements.
I de-laminated several glued lens components using it (will post pictures later) and they appear to be fine.
I'm interested, whenever someone will require such service, and how much he'll agree to pay?

The process itself is very complex, requires very slow temperature adjustment and takes about 10 days. Considering the amount of electricity consumed, using it for single order is not a good idea, a batch of at least 10 lenses is needed, I believe.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this work only with Canada balm glued lenses, or with new lenses with UV glued glue too?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. Have to try. If you suggest me a modern lens with UV glued components, I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you can get test samples with all Autofocus lenses (except perhaps those very early ones for manual cameras). So a cheap defect Sigma, Tamron, Canon, Nikon AF type zoom lens will help.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Does this work only with Canada balm glued lenses, or with new lenses with UV glued glue too?

Good question! Most modern lenses use UV hardened lens cement to bond lens elements.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an achromatic doublet that is delaminating along its outer edge. So I could use this sort of service, but it's the only lens I have right now that needs this type of repair. This is an older lens, so I'm assuming it is cemented using Canada balsam. So keep us posted.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nikkor 35mm f2 which could be done
are you diasassembling the units or how do you want to do this?
I think new lamination must be checked in the lens barrel and in the optical assembly before shipping
and where are you lokated?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Will anyone be interested in glued lens delamination ser Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
Hello.

I've managed to purchase used, but still working device, which uses high temperature and vacuum, to de-laminate glued lens elements.
I de-laminated several glued lens components using it (will post pictures later) and they appear to be fine.
I'm interested, whenever someone will require such service, and how much he'll agree to pay?

The process itself is very complex, requires very slow temperature adjustment and takes about 10 days. Considering the amount of electricity consumed, using it for single order is not a good idea, a batch of at least 10 lenses is needed, I believe.

Any ideas?

My guess is that one would pay accordingly to lens' value.

I have two doublets to detach, one from a tamron 25 210 and the other from a minolta 50 1.7 rear group. Both lenses are cheap, so I wouldn't feel a urge to pay much.

Conversely, If I needed to repair a precious or rare lens I would be glad to spend something more substantial.

I would btw like to know if you may also glue back the lens with the proper alignment, since doing it at home after delaminating is not very easy: I wouldn't try it on a high class lens.

So I think you might better try to set up a complete doublet repair service, which could be much more profitable being also used by professional vendors and repairers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all WOUlD ONLY MAKE SENSE IF A COLLIMATED RE-ASSEMBLY WOULD BE INCLUDED;
and I honestly doubt you are willing to spen $$$$ on a suitable collimator and adjustable lens holder
plus the needed vacumized UV glue and hardening UV light system... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have access to UV curing system and even a collimator and I've managed to re-assemble some Russian VEGA lens blocks and they work just fine, but I don't feel that I'm going to offer this service to anyone, because it will take too much my time and your money Smile