Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Era-4T 85mm/1.5 on Sony A7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Era-4T 85mm/1.5 on Sony A7 Reply with quote

Hello!

This Era-4T 85mm/1.5 is a soviet TV lens.
I made some test shots today on my A7.
A lot of chromatic aberrations wide open!
Sharpness is not really great if we compare with a good Helios-40 in the center (I said "a good" Helios 40). But here again, big difference : The Helios 40 is not bad in the center, but the more you go far from center, the more sharpness become something unundestable (it's even not sharpness anymore), whereas the Era-4T is still ok more far from center.

Bokeh is OK, quite smooth, but not as Sonnar/Jupiter type.

So, I liked it, despite its minus. It's good to have a 85mm/1.5 that do not swirl wide open!

You can find more infos and photos of the lens here : http://pierretizien-photos.blogspot.fr/p/era-4t.html

Regards,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way this lens renders, much nicer to my eyes than a swirly one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh! I like this lens! Tuzki with lens

A question, how are the gradiated shadows on 1st photo maniquin neck created?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I agree with you, nice rendering. But I don't know which one I prefer (H-40 or Era-4). I guess I simply like both.
But about handling/weight/size, Helios-40 has the advantage (yes, it sounds unbelievable) Smile

visualopsins, I think it's because of multiple strong little lights on the roof/ceiling (it's a mannequin in vitrine, at galerie lafayette).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look it is a capable lens, despite it size/weight. Most of the weight seems to come from the housing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's typical of this serie of lenses. Housing is very big whereas lenses themselves are not that big. I have also the Tair-45T 180/2.8 (way bigger than Jupiter-6) and Tair-48T 210mm/3.5 which is as big as a MTO 1000.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small
Nice results.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre, thank you for sharing this!

I really like your results with the lens. In your hands, it seems to have a consistent performance and bokeh across the frame. And this type of smoother/consistent bokeh is more useful than the swirly-style, which sometimes is very distracting.

Too bad of the size and weight. Otherwise, this might be a very interesting lens for myself too Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wolan!

Sjak, you're welcome!
About it's flaw, I did not mention one, which is important : it's quite a rare lens, so when it pops on ebay, it's expensive! The only time I saw one on ebay was not long time ago, it was BIN price $749, and it was sold some hours after it appeared.
Click here to see on Ebay

I know 2 other exemplars in FSU, but Klaus (kds315*) told me he knows a third exemplar.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

rare find indeed!! That one on ebay was to steep for me Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:

About it's flaw, I did not mention one, which is important : it's quite a rare lens, so when it pops on ebay, it's expensive!
I have no problem with sometimes spending more on a lens, but then it has to be a lens that I will use anytime I want. With this size/weight, I know the use will be limited to around the house or near the car, and then ther price becomes problematic.

But thanks to your effort, and your generosity to share these pictures, we can all share a little in the wonders of this lens Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sympa cet objo. Belles couleurs !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak, you're welcome!

Negens, oui, sympa Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series for such rare lens.
Thanks for posting.

Long time in my wishlist, but never found one realy affordable Sad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the samples, looks a lot like the Canon 85/1.5 LTM, without the swirl.