Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A Mint Septon except for ....... Separation
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: A Mint Septon except for ....... Separation Reply with quote

Picked up a beautiful Septon, its mint except for separation. I reached out Cameraquest, US voigtlander distributor and he said basically to bin it....

Any suggestions on who might do a recement? Its otherwise pristine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The separation you see, it's a common problem with old lenses.

In the Voigtlander ones, the septon and the skopagon 2/40 are very prone to have separations

If you have the skopagon, perhaps it's better to consider:

1- It's a first class lens. Excellent IQ. It's a 9 elements 2/40 all around lens. May be the best 40 mm lens

2- Very rare lens. It is a collector's item.

3- With no great separation, you can use it from F/4 without some lost of contrast or definition.

The Septon is a very good lens (not like the skopagon, but a good one too). It has the same formula than the Planar 2,8/80 of the Hasselblad.

I beleave that some pícs taken with the septon should speack by themselves.

They can tell you if the lens is good enought to use or sell.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collected few lenses with separation problem. Already have required repair kit. But still gathering my courage to do it Smile .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small are of separation on the edge many not hurt but not for large area... BTW, I have an excellent copy without any separation(except the focus ring is a bit tight).