Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best Small / Compact 35mm with great corners on FF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Best Small / Compact 35mm with great corners on FF Reply with quote

Looking for recommendations for a travel lens at 35mm FL that would have great corners. My gold standard at 35mm is the Topcon, but looking for something smaller if possible.

Wondering about the Schneider Curtagon as a possibility? How are the corners on the canon 35 f1.8 LTM on FF?

Small is the optimal word, affordable would be nice. The Biogon isnt great from the reviews I have read nor is the voigtlander glass at 35..... Crons arent in the budget and their corners arent stellar on the r2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biogon 2.8/35 is a better lens than either the Topcor-RE 2.8/35 or Schneider Curtagon 2.8/35. I have all three and the Biogon is the best. The Curtagon is better at close subjects than infinity, all three are excellent really.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you shooting it on, if you dont mind me asking? Phillip Reeves review wasnt very positive relative to the corners but that wasnt on an R2? How would you compare it to a canon 35 1.8 ltm if you have used one of those?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samyang AF 35mm f/2.8 FE, if you need an AF lens. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Best Small / Compact..." the answer is almost invariably Zuiko.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorengineer64 wrote:
What are you shooting it on, if you dont mind me asking? Phillip Reeves review wasnt very positive relative to the corners but that wasnt on an R2? How would you compare it to a canon 35 1.8 ltm if you have used one of those?

The Biogon on a NEX and film (Contax RF body), I have the postwar Opton version, which is redesigned and much improved from the pre-war Biogon that was copied by the Russians as the J-12. Not used that Canon.

I have so many 35mms, as it's the length I tend to use most often, and the truth is, there are so many very good ones, it's hard to pick a 'best'. I haven't looked at corner performance in much detail, as I find that once stopped down, as I always do for landscapes, cityscapes, architecture etc. they all have good corners.

One problem is that the best 35s are not really better or smaller than the Topcon you already have, the Topcon is one of the better options.

I second the suggestion of a Zuiko, I have the 2.8/35 and it is very good indeed, high contrast, has an almost Zeiss-like 3D pop. It's also cheap.

If you want really small, there is the ISCO Westron 3.5/35, it's minuscule, not much bigger than a bottle cap.

Here it is alongside two other good 35s - Canon FL 2.5/35 and Zeiss/Voigtlander Skoparex 3.4/35 for Icarex, all on NEX adapters.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some samples from the ISCO Westron 3.5/35

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smallest good 35 I can think of is my tiny Canon S 35/2.8 LTM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're on A7R2 get the Sony-Zeiss FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA as a travel lens and don't look back. I'm very content with it on my A7R2. It's not cheap but it is very good, very sharp, tiny and it weighs next to nothing. The corner sharpeners is nothing to be concerned off and it's much better than the 35mm f/2.8 Topcor-RE (I have it, too).
The AF is a plus for quick street-photos.
It's a most trustworthy companion while on trips - I always take it with me and never regretted for investing in it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Some great advice. I have the Sony zeiss 35 1.4... I want something that is tiny and manual focus.... the isco looks good...i assume it's dkl mmount.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ISCO is in the Braun Paxette mount which is a 39mm thread, but a longer register than Leica, it's a tiny bit less than that of M42, so I use an M39-M42 ring then an M42 adapter I shaved a fraction off, to obtain infinity.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind something a little wider, the Meyer Lydith 30mm f3.5 is quite small even if not so small as the Isco
Of course you will have to add the adapter to the size, but that will be the same for all of them
T

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the smallest 35mm ever made is the Tanaka Kogaku Tanar 35mm/2.8 in LTM mount, presented here by our member Nordentro:
http://forum.mflenses.com/tanaka-kogaku-tanar-35mm-f-2-8-ltm-t70998,highlight,%2Btanar.html

I have it too and in my opinion is a good lens but not better than your 35mm f/2.8 Topcor-RE. However, it's a fun to use tiny old lens.
For corner sharpness and IQ I'd look into the Leica M system. Have you considered the Summaron 35mm f/2.8?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Braun Paxette Reply with quote

I thought and the internet which is wrong sometimes says the braun paxette was a DKL mount camera.... did they also come m39?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braun Paxette is a series of cameras. Super Paxette II has M39 mount while the Paxette Reflex Automatic has DKL mount

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loxia 35mm f2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind f/3.5 - the screw mount Super Multi-Coated Takumar 35 f/3.5 is sharp as tack, and very compact.

P.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: SMC Pentax 35/3.5 Reply with quote

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-35mm-F3.5-Lens.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pair of tests of the Takumar 35/3.5 vs the Canon nFD 35/2.8 on the A7. The Canon is better all around.

http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?p=4465

http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?p=4114

This is consistent with my observations that the Sony 35/2.8 isn't significantly better unless you badly need AF.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you i have also a big 35mm f1.4 lens that i like a lot, in my case it s a Samyang, i been looking around for something smaller, how about a new 7artisans 35 f2 or as a second option but larger a Nikkor 35 f1.4 AIS, not sure about corner performance about either though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you`re set on MF and tiny on your A7R2 try the Minolta M Rokkor 40mm f2. Wonderful sharpness, rendition and colour in a very small package , also faster than most mentioned and a great walkabout FL.

It`s superior to all 35mms I`ve tried on the 7II and its so tight beteween that and the Minolta 35mm f2 AF I can`t decide which one I prefer and kept both as I run E and A mount. Look for the CLE version with later coatings.

More expensive than some but not as much as the native AF options.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered the Minolta 40 before but it seems to be too costly. At today's prices a Samyang 35 AF would do better in my view, but I understand those who prefer the Rokkor FOV. And I'd like to see a head to head against the various Canon 35/2s and 35/2.8s.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My test with the C-Summicron on A7 show it has pretty good corner performance stopped down. But I doubt it will perform better than modern lens in the corner near wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
If you're on A7R2 get the Sony-Zeiss FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA as a travel lens and don't look back. I'm very content with it on my A7R2. It's not cheap but it is very good, very sharp, tiny and it weighs next to nothing. The corner sharpeners is nothing to be concerned off and it's much better than the 35mm f/2.8 Topcor-RE (I have it, too).

I completely agree with that. If you want to save a lot of money, you may also consider the Minolta 2.8/35mm in its last MD-III version. On 43MP FF (Sony A7RII) it is as good as the Sony Zeiss Sonnar 2.8/35mm:
http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektiv-vergleiche/434-sony-a7rii-and-summilux-1-4-35mm-asph-sony-zeiss-fe-2-8-35mm-and-minolta-md-2-8-35mm

It's written in German, but the image description is clear. Be aware that the older [7/7] designs of the Minolta MC 2.8/35mm are not as good as the newer MD [5/5] designs!

The Yashica ML 2.8/35mm is another very good MF SLR lens.

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon nFD 35mm 2.8 is pretty sharp. I found it great for astro use as it has the least aberrations wide open out of all of my vintage lenses - a small amount of astigmatism is all I notice in the worst of scenarios. And it's cheap to boot.