Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Jeiss JenaZoom 28-135
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Carl Jeiss JenaZoom 28-135 Reply with quote

Hello all!

I'm new around, and I love to dig around for odd lenses. Very Happy Recently, a friend handed this one over for me to check it out. He said it never seen much use and it really looks that way. I looked around but was unable to find information about this lens. Can someone shed some light on it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Jeiss JenaZoom 28-135 Reply with quote

Astrolupa wrote:
Hello all!

I'm new around, and I love to dig around for odd lenses. Very Happy Recently, a friend handed this one over for me to check it out. He said it never seen much use and it really looks that way. I looked around but was unable to find information about this lens. Can someone shed some light on it?

The first post wont show your photos in order to prevent attacks from spam mail/post.
This is the first time I have ever seen FD mount CZJ zoom lens. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by koji on Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Jeiss JenaZoom 28-135 Reply with quote

Welcome! That lens looks like a Canon FD (?) mount lens from the 80s, branded Carl Zeiss Jena but made by someone out in Japan.

Enjoy your stay!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Jeiss JenaZoom 28-135 Reply with quote

Thanks a lot ManualFocus-G! Let's if someone has anything else to add. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Jeiss JenaZoom 28-135 Reply with quote

Astrolupa wrote:
Thanks a lot ManualFocus-G! Let's if someone has anything else to add. Smile

What kind of camera do you have ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Carl Jeiss JenaZoom 28-135 Reply with quote

Hello Attila,

Yes... Unfortunately my Canon 40D will not accept a lens like this one, unless I do what I did with my Canon FL 55mm f/1.2 lens, which is now adapted for use with the EF bayonet. Anyway, I don't think I want to do that with this lens... I guess it's not worth considering I have other lenses that cover this range.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astrolupa

I have one of those. Found it about two weeks ago in the bargain bucket of my local camera shop for £5.00. Pentax KA mount. The iris is somtimes slow to react but otherwise in good condition. The research on the net I found was that it was made under licence from VEB to Chinon but I am not sure how accurate this is.

I have a small review, featured in Which Camera supplement called 'Which Lens' published in Summer 1987, as follows:

'Recommended. Very sharp indeed and doesn't cost a fortune. (£160.00). There are cheaper options.' In the same section is the Tamron 28-135, as follows: 'Good quality performance, but nor quite up to the Carl Zeiss Jena Lens. More expensive too (£239). Praise indeed!

I haven't tried it propely, seems sharp enough with the usual Jena colours but it might be a little flarey; could be the aperture problem though. I think I will prefer my Vivitar S1 28-90 (£180.00)

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Jeiss JenaZoom 28-135 Reply with quote

Astrolupa wrote:
Hello Attila,

Yes... Unfortunately my Canon 40D will not accept a lens like this one, unless I do what I did with my Canon FL 55mm f/1.2 lens, which is now adapted for use with the EF bayonet. Anyway, I don't think I want to do that with this lens... I guess it's not worth considering I have other lenses that cover this range.

Sell it somebody will happily take it there is more and more m4/3 and Nex owners who able to use it properly on digital.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Carl Jeiss JenaZoom 28-135 Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Welcome! That lens looks like a Canon FD (?) mount lens from the 80s, branded Carl Zeiss Jena but made by someone out in Japan.

Enjoy your stay!

Dsitributor name in ~1985/1986 .. Lenses were manufactured by cosina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid this question comes up at very regular intevals on various forums, and for years I answered every one when it cropped up...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Jeiss JenaZoom 28-135 Reply with quote

Are you sure?

I understood that Sigma had rights to the brand name for a while?

I have a Sigma that looks almost identical to that picture...

Doug

PBFACTS wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Enjoy your stay!

Dsitributor name in ~1985/1986 .. Lenses were manufactured by cosina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Jeiss JenaZoom 28-135 Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
Are you sure?

I understood that Sigma had rights to the brand name for a while?

I have a Sigma that looks almost identical to that picture...

Doug

These "British" Carl Zeiss Jena lens was the initiative of the twin companies CZ Scientic Instruments and Carl Zeiss Jena Ltd in the UK, with blessings from Jena. CZ Scientific Instuments was also distributor of several brands, such as Elmo, Sunpak, and Sigma.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the enlightment, and specially to Seele for posting the photos of catalog. It seems it's a "real" Carl Zeiss lens manufactured with respect for CZ's standards.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astrolupa wrote:
Thank you all for the enlightment, and specially to Seele for posting the photos of catalog. It seems it's a "real" Carl Zeiss lens manufactured with respect for CZ's standards.

Not quite sure I follow, it was certainly not made by Carl Zeiss Question

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Astrolupa wrote:

Not quite sure I follow, it was certainly not made by Carl Zeiss Question

What I meant is that I guess it was made by some third party manufacturer but with license from Carl Zeiss. A common pratice was it not?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More likely Japanese lenses rebranded by the KoKo (the GDR state export coordination) in the wake of the success they had had bundling the Praktica B series with rebranded Tokina, Cosina et.al. lenses. At that time, CZJ was already practically defunct as a photographic lens design company, their research focus had shifted towards scientific instruments and tools for the microelectronics industry.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I mentioned above. VEB was originally one of the manufacturers of lenses for Zeiss Jena whiched appears in latter years to have outsourced to a Japanese company - Cosina/Sigma/Chinon? or maybe all three. My lens has printed around it ' Lens made in Japan under licence from VEB'

Phil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VEB means Volkseigener Betrieb = nationally-owned enterprise.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astrolupa wrote:

What I meant is that I guess it was made by some third party manufacturer but with license from Carl Zeiss. A common pratice was it not?

Since Carl Zeiss started the photographic lens business they have been licensing designs to other manufacturers, the first licensee was Voigtländer. More well known ones include B&L, Ross, Krauss, and others. Nowadays we see Zeiss-branded lenses on Sony cameras and even Nokia phones, so it's far far from being unusual.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing is usually sold as Exakta. This is fake Zeiss for sure. It surely doesn't have anything to do with Sigma either. Just check their 28mm Pentacon replacements and Prakticar ZOOMs. Too shaky even for CHINON and COSINA. It might be early Korean made and exported by Japan. I guess one cannot trust writing Made in Japan that real manufacture was set up there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
Since Carl Zeiss started the photographic lens business they have been licensing designs to other manufacturers, the first licensee was Voigtländer. More well known ones include B&L, Ross, Krauss, and others. Nowadays we see Zeiss-branded lenses on Sony cameras and even Nokia phones, so it's far far from being unusual.

Zeiss West is and was in a different position regarding intellectual property. Carl Zeiss Jena did not have any zooms they could have licensed away - if there is a "under license of CZJ" engraving on a zoom, they (or rather the foreign trade bureau) must have licensed the trademark rather than the optical design.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo,

Oberkochen never admitted in writing that the lenses fitted to Sony cameras (and perhaps others) were indeed designed by them, the most they were prepared to say was that such lenses were up to the standards befitting the Carl Zeiss label.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I wondered how you cxame to be certain that Sigma was not the maker?

I have read many sources that would seem to confirm that Sigma did indeed make lenses for the Jena company to be sold in the European (and especially UK) market?

One such reference:

http://www.photography-forums.com/prakticar-carl-zeiss-jena-confused-hereford-t35991.html

As I said I have had the chance to compare two JenaZooms with their 'cousins' from Sigma and the genes whilst not 100% (colour of markings vary) are certainly close siblings?

Doug

quote="Pancolart"]This thing is usually sold as Exakta. This is fake Zeiss for sure. It surely doesn't have anything to do with Sigma either. Just check their 28mm Pentacon replacements and Prakticar ZOOMs. Too shaky even for CHINON and COSINA. It might be early Korean made and exported by Japan. I guess one cannot trust writing Made in Japan that real manufacture was set up there.[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
Hi,

I wondered how you cxame to be certain that Sigma was not the maker?

I have read many sources that would seem to confirm that Sigma did indeed make lenses for the Jena company to be sold in the European (and especially UK) market?

One such reference:

http://www.photography-forums.com/prakticar-carl-zeiss-jena-confused-hereford-t35991.html

As I said I have had the chance to compare two JenaZooms with their 'cousins' from Sigma and the genes whilst not 100% (colour of markings vary) are certainly close siblings?

Doug

Pancolart wrote:
This thing is usually sold as Exakta. This is fake Zeiss for sure. It surely doesn't have anything to do with Sigma either. Just check their 28mm Pentacon replacements and Prakticar ZOOMs. Too shaky even for CHINON and COSINA. It might be early Korean made and exported by Japan. I guess one cannot trust writing Made in Japan that real manufacture was set up there.

1- AGAIN, these lenses were made by Cosina (TypicalCosina design)
2- Sigma manufactured a lot a lenses for Pentacon veb in the 1975/1990 period when it was an east german company
FIRST zoom for pentacon cameras was the sigma 39/80 but theses lenses have absolutely NO connection with that period

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:

1- AGAIN, these lenses were made by Cosina (TypicalCosina design)
2- Sigma manufactured a lot a lenses for Pentacon veb in the 1975/1990 period when it was an east german company
FIRST zoom for pentacon cameras was the sigma 39/80 but theses lenses have absolutely NO connection with that period

Could it be after Cosina switched their production to Korea?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=36551204

Just speculating of course.