Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Omd em10mk2 or fuji X-E1 for low light handheld ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Omd em10mk2 or fuji X-E1 for low light handheld ? Reply with quote

I need small and light .
I generally shoot static subjects , in low light
Not convinced what to choose . Will the Fuji f2 wide primes UNSTABILISED(18mm ,23mm ) do better than the fast stabilised 15/1,7 or 17/1,8 or the 14-42/3,5-5,6 from mft? Is the aps-C fuji sensor so much better to compensate the shake by bumping up the iso ?
Unfortunately , the 18-55/2,8-4 stabilised from Fuji is too big for what I search ,I am used to small lenses , coming from the sony 16-50 OSS and the zuiko 14-42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon , really NO one ? Done a lot of research these weeks , still no conclusion ....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I understood is that the low-light auto-focus performance of the 1st generation X-trans is not that great, but I cannot tell from personal experience.

With my X-T1 (with 2nd gen sensor + processor), I do a lot of after-sunset pics with the Funinon 18 2.0 and 23 1.4. I am happier with the results than with the pics I made with the (well stabilized) 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 kit zoom. So for me, wide aperture wins over OIS.

If you intend to use adapted lenses in very low light, the EVF can get grainy and a bit slow, especially since the X-E1 EVF is of an older design (and smaller) than the X-T1's. But again, fast glass can help here Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
What I understood is that the low-light auto-focus performance of the 1st generation X-trans is not that great, but I cannot tell from personal experience.

With my X-T1 (with 2nd gen sensor + processor), I do a lot of after-sunset pics with the Funinon 18 2.0 and 23 1.4. I am happier with the results than with the pics I made with the (well stabilized) 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 kit zoom. So for me, wide aperture wins over OIS.

If you intend to use adapted lenses in very low light, the EVF can get grainy and a bit slow, especially since the X-E1 EVF is of an older design (and smaller) than the X-T1's. But again, fast glass can help here Smile

Thanks a lot , your feedback helps a lot ! I am more attracted now by the XE2 or 2s ,wich I understand are close to the T series in terms of sensor , processor , EVF and focus .

The much praised 18-55 seems to me (apart the only 18mm ) to be a tad too big , adding bulk and weight to the camera just enough to make me leave it at home frequently enough and prefere a smaller and more discrete combo .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 18 2.0 is very compact, especially without hood; the 23 1.4 is not compact. These are the only AF-lenses I use on a regular basis, the 23 1.4 only for family&friends events.

The 3 new Fuji 2.0 lenses are quite compact (the 23-35-50mm). Smallest of all is the 27 2.8, which is extremely compact, plenty sharp, but does not have an aperture ring.

The X-E2&2S have indeed the same sensor etc as the X-T1, only the EVF is different, but to my understanding, improved compared to the X-E1. The rendering of the 1st gen X-trans is different to the 2nd gen, this may or may not bother you.

Owners of the Olympus seem to highly regard its stabilization.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
The 18 2.0 is very compact, especially without hood; the 23 1.4 is not compact. These are the only AF-lenses I use on a regular basis, the 23 1.4 only for family&friends events.

The 3 new Fuji 2.0 lenses are quite compact (the 23-35-50mm). Smallest of all is the 27 2.8, which is extremely compact, plenty sharp, but does not have an aperture ring.

The X-E2&2S have indeed the same sensor etc as the X-T1, only the EVF is different, but to my understanding, improved compared to the X-E1. The rendering of the 1st gen X-trans is different to the 2nd gen, this may or may not bother you.

Owners of the Olympus seem to highly regard its stabilization.

Does the xe1-2-2s have some MF assist (focus peaking or so) ?

Indeed it is good (and I have an old system one ) and teoretically good for MF lenses use . Wich can be true for tele. But the 2x crop is bad for the wide side. And the OM-d 10 mk 2 is not cheap , even preused.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The X-trans-II bodies (so X-E2/2s/T1) have 3*/10* magnification, and you can add focus-peaking if you wish (and you can choose high or low peaking outline, in whire, red or blue)
The X-T1 also has a digital split-image, which gives a range-finder-like focus-assist (part of the image is cut into, and when align it is in focus); I am not sure if the X-E2/2s have this feature too.

If I am well informed, the X-trans i (X-E1 and X-pro1) also have 3*/10* magnification, and peaking, but in white only.

Personally I only use magnification, as I can see best how the image will end up (but takes time)
Others prefer one of the other options. The split-image can make for very fast focusing, convenient when on the move.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks !