Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Problem with the Zhongyi lens turbo ii (FX mount)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Problem with the Zhongyi lens turbo ii (FX mount) Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm a big fan of the Mitakon Lens Turbo ii and I have basically kept it on my X-T10 since day 1. It's an EOS to FX mount.
I'm also a big fan of Olympus lenses and, lately, of the Yashica 28mm 2.8. Therefore, my setup has been OM to EOS first and lately C/Y to EOS.

As luck would have it, both types of mounts proved to be tight to screw to the lens turbo ii (an issue that I didn't have with M42 or Nikon). Not that wasn't possible, just it was hard to get the lens click and tight. Anyway, long story short, I'm pretty sure being the mounting so hard to mount, it caused the Mitakon's mounting ring to loosen over the time and that's the problem I have with it now.
When I mount the Yashica (or for that matter any other lens at this point), the lens is never completely tight, there's always a little back and forth I can do when I operate the lens.
Say for instance I'm changing the focus (and this happens even more with lenses with a not so smooth focus ring) I can definitely feel the lens is moving a little, depending on the direction I'm operating the focus.

Now, this is not affecting the quality of the pictures whatsoever, but I find it annoying. Yes, I can live with it, but I'd rather have the Mitakon functioning as when I bought it: the feeling was much better, tight and robust. At some point, I felt the setup I had was a sort of native, Fuji thing, which was really great. In fact, I could completely forget about the lens when I was in the field, which to me is the best way to shoot.

I asked a repair centre and they told me is not worth it to fix it as they need to take apart some pieces which would make it just easier to buy a new adapter.
Is there really anything I can't do to get the Mitakon back in shape?

Thanks for any hints.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Zhongyi for replacement part -- the lens mount ring.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some adapters who are not tight and lens have some play on them like you.
I put some layers of tape duct tape ( the small one ) in four places of the adapters so the lens is harder to screw and don't move after that. It do the job

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may try to adjust your Lens Turbo ii in the way below. However, if your xx to EOS adapter is not in good quality, you should replace them too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the tips.
Before I ask Zhongyi for replacement, I'll try what thebbm and calvin suggested, going in order with a new C/Y to EOS first, then the tape and finally adjusting the Lens Turbo ii.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, one question about the C/Y to EOS adapter: is it supposed to snap and click?
The one I have right now doesn't snap, I just screw the lens until it stops, but there's no click.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:
Actually, one question about the C/Y to EOS adapter: is it supposed to snap and click?
The one I have right now doesn't snap, I just screw the lens until it stops, but there's no click.

The spring on the adapter will lock the lens once you fully screw the lens in. If not, the adapter is not a good one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
cgustav wrote:

The spring on the adapter will lock the lens once you fully screw the lens in. If not, the adapter is not a good one.

Thanks Calvin,

I thought I was mounting the lens in the wrong way, but I don't think there are many ways to mount it.
So, if it doesn't click there must be something wrong with the adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first adapter I ever bought was a Chinese Nikon F to EOS adapter I bought off eBay. It had the same problem. It would click into place, but there was noticeable back and forth slop. I noticed the slots that Calvin pointed out and reasoned that I could tighten things up if I pried those slots apart some, so I did this, in fact using the same sort of screwdriver that Calvin shows. That worked. Nikon lenses clicked into place and no more slop.

So if your adapter has those slots in the mount, give that a try.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
The first adapter I ever bought was a Chinese Nikon F to EOS adapter I bought off eBay. It had the same problem. It would click into place, but there was noticeable back and forth slop. I noticed the slots that Calvin pointed out and reasoned that I could tighten things up if I pried those slots apart some, so I did this, in fact using the same sort of screwdriver that Calvin shows. That worked. Nikon lenses clicked into place and no more slop.

So if your adapter has those slots in the mount, give that a try.

Thank you for your contribution, cooltouch.
I'm going to try that.