Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Modded Helios 44-2 with square bokeh
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Modded Helios 44-2 with square bokeh Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, I bought this from Moldova Thank You Dog

It came in the mail today, just a few quick boring test-shots, except for a resize, camera-JPGs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting.... for certain types of subjects I can see this getting some use.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's different. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
very interesting.... for certain types of subjects I can see this getting some use.
To be honest, I bought it purely out of curiosity and because it was just $30 or so Laughing

But now I see some potential, e.g. for a flower field during spring.

The lens itself was in very good condition, and the iris conversion seems very well done too. I'll post pics later of the iris.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really a Helios mod, or someone accidently sold you the rare Zenitar ME-1 ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really a Helios Smile I'll post some images of the lens itself later.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done mod. I was expecting a cardboard cutout style thing. For 30 that is a bargain. I would probably use it to accentuate the shapes of certain subjects. Digitized images or things where pixelization comes into play or photos of tech gadgets that kind of thing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Very well done mod. I was expecting a cardboard cutout style thing. For 30 that is a bargain. I would probably use it to accentuate the shapes of certain subjects. Digitized images or things where pixelization comes into play or photos of tech gadgets that kind of thing.

I was thinking similar from the sample images; it makes the OOF background appear pixellated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Very well done mod. I was expecting a cardboard cutout style thing. For 30 that is a bargain.
Yes I'm extemely pleased with the qualit/price ratio of this lens Smile I wouldnt have been offended if it would have been more of a hack-job, but it's really well done, mechanically smooth, and super-clean optics.

jamaeolus wrote:
I would probably use it to accentuate the shapes of certain subjects. Digitized images or things where pixelization comes into play or photos of tech gadgets that kind of thing.

SkedAddled wrote:
I was thinking similar from the sample images; it makes the OOF background appear pixellated.
Some nice ideas for using this oddity.... I'm thinking now of some night time street/mall-shots too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that the photos show a diamond orientation. More visually interesting than a square.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I would probably use it to accentuate the shapes of certain subjects.

Someone needs to take this to a video game convention and take pictures of Mario/Pokemon cosplayers!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm impressed Congrats

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out on the street with this lens in the bag, playing a bit.