Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashicamat Lens Hood
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Yashicamat Lens Hood Reply with quote

Hi colleagues,

Looking for info about my Yashicamat on the net, I've found that the lens is uncoated. I've experienced already the effect of such lenses on my FED-2 with the Industar 61 (too much glare), so I'd like to find a solution, cheap if possible.

Sometime ago I found a place where one could dowload printable hood templates, that did nice emergency hoods. But none that can be used on the Yashicamat.

http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/

Do any of you have gotten a real hood for the YM?.
I'd appreciate very much posting some pictures of such a hood, to see if I cold manage to do one by myself.

Thanks in advance.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes:

I have the hood for my 635.

They look like the one in this link (some have reported bad experiences with this seller by the way):
Click here to see on Ebay

The Yashi uses the Rollei BAY1 bayonet for fitting filters and hoods - you can either get the proper hood on Ebay, or get a BAY1-46mm adapter and use a conventional hood and/or filter/s. If you go down the adapter route, make sure that the threaded part's diameter doesn't obscure the viewing lens too much.... Wink

Either the Rollei or Yashica hoods will fit and look correct as they are the same size and shape - it all depends on how fussy you are about having a Rollei branded hood on a Yashica for example.

Last edited by bob955i on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Jes:

I have the hood for my 635.

They look like the one in this link (some have reported bad experiences with this seller by the way):

The Yashi uses the Rollei BAY1 bayonet for fitting filters and hoods - you can either get the proper hood on Ebay, or get a BAY1-46mm adapter and use a conventional hood and/or filter/s. If you go down the adapter route, make sure you don't obscure the viewing lens too much.... Wink

Either the Rollei or Yashica hoods will fit and look correct as they are the same size and shape - it all depends on how fussy you are about having a Rollei branded hood on a Yashica for example.

Thanks Bob!
No problem with showing other brands over the camera, if the hood works.
I know that seller, I did buy some thing in the past with no problems.
I'll try to get this.
Thanks again!.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Jes - hope you get it, and at a reasonable price too. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody 'ell, this bloke's taking the piss...

But here's an adapter...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using that adapter would be like fitting an auxiliary lens to the existing fixed lens on the TLR - dunno about the impact on IQ here or whether it would be of any advantage. Best adapter is one that allows the fitting of screw filters/hoods - like a step-up ring type.

The hood is a BAY3 and won't fit Jes' Yashi - still a horrendous price though.... Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I don't know where that link came from - was listed in the wrong section entirely.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
Here is my little system. I am on a trip and have the camera and one hood with me. The thing I have is an adapter from a HK seller. It is bay 1 to 46mm. The hood in the photos is a funky vented hood. The thing I like is it fits in the case I like. I also use a hood fom a Contax G system 90mm lens. What I like is, I can use a filter right on the hood. Which means I can use a cap also. This hood is threaded for 55mm filter threads. Anyway here are a few quick shots. BTW, the adapter cost $5 the vented hood $14 and it works on my other "rangefinder" cameras as well. Here are some photos. Sorry the pictures are quick and dirty.
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy!

Very useful pictures. This seems a good approach. I'm currently bidding for one original Yashica one, but it's going too high, so probably I'll refrain.
I was thinking in building an "emergency" one by myself, and from your pictures I guesstimate the high of the hood being around 1.5 centimeters.
So knowing the lens diameter and the 46mm outer diameter, I can compute easily the hood projection over the paper... Wink

Thanks again!.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hood in Andy's pic looks like a Leica type - the vents are there so the hood doesn't obstruct the rangefinder window.

Which would also be useful for not obstructing the viewing lens on the TLR....

My other suggestion was a BAY1-46mm adapter too as it's more flexible in use.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob
Your right it is a leica type hood. The adapter is exactly as the one you describe. Both are easy to find and inexpensive. This adapter really makes the use of filters and hoods very easy. Of course with film, filters can be very important. Having the use of them is a very nice advantage.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost the two auctions that could lead me to own an original hood, and I see no further auctions for such. So I'm going to follow your track, I mean, the BAY1 to 39mm adapter and a 39mm hood with a filter screw.
I found the vented hood quickly, but for the adapter I only find BAY1 to 49mm or BAY1 to 52mm, not BAY1 to 39mm

Any clues where I could find them?.

Thanks in advance.
Jes.

BAY1 to 52mm Click here to see on Ebay
BAY1 to 49mm Click here to see on Ebay

39mm vented hood Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes:

I'd go for the BAY1-49mm adapter and just use a standard unvented 49mm hood - I've just tried holding a 51mm push-on lens cap (for 49mm filter rings) in front of the taking lens on my 635 and it doesn't obscure the viewing lens too much. Certainly not enough to prevent composition anyway so I'd expect the smaller 49mm filter/hood to be even better in this respect.

Quite a lot of lenses take 49mm filters and if you already have that diameter, it makes sense to stick with it.

Just remember to compensate where appropriate for whatever filter you fit.... Wink

I collated a table some time ago that you can print off - I'll repost it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Duplicate post, sorry!)
Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Jes:

I'd go for the BAY1-49mm adapter and just use a standard unvented 49mm hood - I've just tried holding a 51mm push-on lens cap (for 49mm filter rings) in front of the taking lens on my 635 and it doesn't obscure the viewing lens too much. Certainly not enough to prevent composition anyway so I'd expect the smaller 49mm filter/hood to be even better in this respect.

Quite a lot of lenses take 49mm filters and if you already have that diameter, it makes sense to stick with it.

Just remember to compensate where appropriate for whatever filter you fit.... Wink

I collated a table some time ago that you can print off - I'll repost it.

Thanks for the info, Bob!.
However, from 39mm to 49mm... won't be too much?. The hood will open wider and then more light can come in, so more flare risk... (just a thought).

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes:

Another reason I suggested the BAY1-49mm adapter in addition to it's being more universal, is because I think a BAY1-39mm might be more difficult to find - if you get the 49mm adapter you could always try a deeper hood to compensate for the extra diameter.

Here's that filter table I put together - print it off on 6x4 paper, laminate it and keep it in your bag:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Bob!.
I got a nice colour printer at the office... Wink
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That chart is just a snapping-good reference! It is professional looking, and I appreciate that you took the time for it.

On my Yashicamat I'm afraid I do it the "clunky" way. Laughing I use a baseball cap or my hand for a "lens shade" and I hold a Cokin 1 type of filter in front of the taking lens for shots that need polarization or some other type of filter.

Luckily, on the Yashica Mat, just my hand is very efficient, since the lens is not overly large in diameter.

However...these lens solutions shown are dynamite!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Laurence:

I used to do the same as you with Cokin filters - if I was using a grad, I'd hold it in front of the viewing lens and move it around until I got what I wanted, take note of where the grad area was in relation to the lens and then transfer it to the taking lens.

Kenko make a somewhat expensive polariser device for RF cameras that uses a scaled polariser that you look through and turn until you get the required effect and then you read off the settings and transfer them to the lens mounted polariser.

The sighting device can be hand-held or mounted on the flash shoe so it could be used for TLRs as well should one have a mind and a wallet to.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
@ Laurence:

I used to do the same as you with Cokin filters - if I was using a grad, I'd hold it in front of the viewing lens and move it around until I got what I wanted, take note of where the grad area was in relation to the lens and then transfer it to the taking lens.

Kenko make a somewhat expensive polariser device for RF cameras that uses a scaled polariser that you look through and turn until you get the required effect and then you read off the settings and transfer them to the lens mounted polariser.

The sighting device can be hand-held or mounted on the flash shoe so it could be used for TLRs as well should one have a mind and a wallet to.

Yes, Bob...the hand holding is actually pretty quick and easy, in my mind. Regarding the polarizer, I use a large circular polarizer and rotate it until the scene is what I want, then just use the printed markings on the filter ring to correlate to correct position over the taking lens. Works fine!

Again, Bob. That chart is simply dynamite.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always 3d print or have someone 3d print one for you
BAY I (Yashicamat 124)
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6024422
or
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5000025

Yashica A
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3285452

Yashica D
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:685

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find!