Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD lens teardown
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD lens teardown Reply with quote

I have two Minolta MD lenses that have some fungus on the internal elements. One is a 50/1.7 and the other is a 28/2.8

I am wondering if anyone has disassembled these before and how hard was it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are easy enough to tear down, but the later MD lenses have sealed element groups, rather than individual ring screws for each element, like the older MC lenses.
This means that often, if the fungus is inside an element group, you can't actually separate the elements to clean the fungus.

The earlier MD 28mm can be stripped down to each element, and it looks like your later MD 28mm does not have sealed element groups. So you have a better chance of cleaning this.

The MD 50mm is almost certain to have sealed element groups, so you can hope that the fungus is not inside these. Once you remove front and back, the element groups are generally held in place by three screws.

Last edited by dnas on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the channel of Matt Bierner on youtube ... He disassembles a lot of Minolta lenses while providing very detailed footage ..

edit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UniD4V6aS4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've repaired a 1.7 MD-II 50mm and a 2.0 MD-III 50mm. Both lenses were easy to take apart and put back together, very similar tear down for both. I imagine the 28mm won't be much different. My lenses needed to be cleaned and re-lubed so they were full tear downs aside from taking apart the lens groups. Be aware that if you mess with the focusing you'll have to reset infinity focus (not hard at all on these lenses). For detailed instructions, as Rigel said, Matt Bierner has some good videos.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all very helpful! Will check out that Youtube vid... Honestly not sure how long the fungus has been there... These were my fathers from the 80's, he used them up to the mid 90s. I have since pulled them out to use on my X-T2... I can't see any impact in my shots, so if it is not getting worse, it might not be worth taking it apart...