Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Confused - Need help to understand old Tamron
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Confused - Need help to understand old Tamron Reply with quote

I am confused by this lens and would appreciate knowing what it is:

The lens appears to be somewhat like an Adapt-A-Matic lens, except it is not a window lens, and that is not an Adapt-A-Matic lens case.

My key question:

Question In your opinion does this lens pre-date or post-date the Adapt-A-Matic series of lenses (1970-1973)? Question

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron made both adaptamatic and fixed mount versions. Your lens looks like one of the latter and can be considered contemporaneous IMO - late 1960's- early 1970's.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Tamron made both adaptamatic and fixed mount versions. Your lens looks like one of the latter and can be considered contemporaneous IMO - late 1960's- early 1970's.

Thanks. Yes, agreed, fixed mount Adapt-A-Matics have been mentioned . . . right here within this forum. I have never encountered one in person, though, nor have I ever seen a photo of a lens so identified. So it is true I would not recognize such a lens if I saw one or saw a photo of one.

I would have jumped on the lens in the OP as being an Adapt-A-Matic except it is not a window lens. I have never seen an Adapt-A-Matic lens that is not a window lens. And, again, the case accompanying the lens appears not to be an Adapt-A-Matic case. I would make it to be an older case? So my confusion continues.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you assume that's the original case? Most likely it's just an aftermarket case someone used with the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of continuing curiosity I went and extricated from storage both my 135mm Adapt-A-Matic lenses. They both have rubber focus grips, however I'm aware early Adapt-A-Matic focus grips were metal akin to the lens in the OP.

Both of my lenses are, of course, single window lenses. The colouring of their focus distance scales is the same as the subject lens here, orange over white. But their focus bracketing does not have the same presentation at all.

If the lens in the OP is, indeed, an Adapt-A-Matic, it is possible I guess that absence of a window is attributable somehow to the fixed mount. Also noteworthy, the serial numbers of my two lenses, and of the lens in the OP, are comparable.

I guess the lens in the OP could be a fixed mount Adapt-A-Matic, but I remain uncertain. Such a lens could bite me without my being aware of what it was. Fixed mount Adapt-A-Matic lenses are rare.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have seen quite a number of undocumented Tamron variants.
The information online is very incomplete, even about the premium line of interchangeable mount types.
Something different is always turning up.

This one looks a lot like the Adaptamatic stylistically and is probably from the same era.
I'd guess it is exactly the same lens optically and mechanically, save for the mount.
There are very similar and better known fixed mount variants for the 300/5.6 and 80-250/4
Since the fixed mounts are much less complex than the auto mounts (and the M42 being one of the simplest) this was certainly made for a lower-priced market segment.

Thats about the most we can say.

I speculate that Tamron made quite a lot of small batches for various importers, most in importers brands but some not.
And as they dealt globally the potential number of these variants is very large.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
We have seen quite a number of undocumented Tamron variants.
The information online is very incomplete, even about the premium line of interchangeable mount types.
Something different is always turning up.

This one looks a lot like the Adaptamatic stylistically and is probably from the same era.
I'd guess it is exactly the same lens optically and mechanically, save for the mount.
There are very similar and better known fixed mount variants for the 300/5.6 and 80-250/4
Since the fixed mounts are much less complex than the auto mounts (and the M42 being one of the simplest) this was certainly made for a lower-priced market segment.

Thats about the most we can say.

I speculate that Tamron made quite a lot of small batches for various importers, most in importers brands but some not.
And as they dealt globally the potential number of these variants is very large.

Thank you, luisalegria, your remarks are insightful and interesting. What you wrote makes sense.

Perhaps some day I will run across a lens which is clearly and unambiguously fixed mount Adapt-A-Matic. But I run across so few contenders, I could just as easily die before it happens.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Tamron like that in 200mm 3.5 from end sixties with a fixed mount (MD) for my Minolta SRT101.
In that time there was a set of lenses sold by Tamron with fixed mounts and a positiv reputation, after the preset lenses. No Adapt-a-matics yet.
Don't have the lens anymore. Traded in for a Vivitar series-1 70-200mm when that lens came new on the market.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be sure I understand what you are asking, fixed mount means the lens is only set up for one mount, eg minolta. An Adaptamatiic can be used (with appropriate fixture) for many different mounts. It allowed the camera shop to have one lens but be available in many mount options without the associated cost and storage requirements. So a "fixed mount Adaptamatiic" would not exist.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Just to be sure I understand what you are asking, fixed mount means the lens is only set up for one mount, eg minolta. An Adaptamatiic can be used (with appropriate fixture) for many different mounts. It allowed the camera shop to have one lens but be available in many mount options without the associated cost and storage requirements. So a "fixed mount Adaptamatiic" would not exist.

It's an excellent point and something which escaped my attention until your post. Yes, the Adapt-A-Matic series was predecessor to the Adaptall and Adaptall 2 series of Tamron lenses. In all instances, with choice of proper adapter, you could adapt the lens to a wide variety of camera bodies.

But your point is well taken: how could any fixed mount lens be an Adapt-A-Matic? It seems impossible by definition!!

While I'm quite interested in these lenses, I'm also very much a student of the situation and no expert. I have always assumed the so-called fixed mount Adapt-A-Matic lenses are identical to their adaptable brethren except that they have a fixed mount. But as I wrote earlier, I have never even seen a photo of a fixed mount Adapt-A-Matic, no less actually owned one! Every Adapt-A-Matic lens I've ever bought has a removable adapter.

FWIW I agree with Minolfan that the lens in the OP is most likely from the later portion of the 1960's, possibly just prior to the Adapt-A-Matic lenses. And I agree it could easily be optically very close, or the same, as the earlier Adapt-A-Matic lenses, those without the rubber-covered focus rings.

Last edited by guardian on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adaptall 1?