Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CANON 5D MARK III: Works With Old Manual Focus Lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: CANON 5D MARK III: Works With Old Manual Focus Lenses? Reply with quote

Can the old manual focus lenses from other manufacturers be used with an adapter on the 5D Mk3?

(Like they could on the Canon Rebels and xxD series?)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly 5DII accomodates MF lenses so I can't see why the 5DIII wouldn't.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but two things to consider:

1) In some rare cases a lens that works fine on crop sensor Canon might hit the mirror on a FF SLR like the 5D3
2) Some AF confirm chips (if the adapter has one) that worked with earlier cameras can be incompatible with the 5D3, causing weird behavior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, don't use AF confirm chips. Trust your Mark 1 eyeballs. Personally I'd go ahead and give the chips a try if I felt the need to use them. You can always resell them on eBay.

And you used the right word: "rare." If a lens hits the 5D3 mirror, you can do like lots of other 5Dx users have done and have the mirror shaved slightly at its base.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
So, don't use AF confirm chips. Trust your Mark 1 eyeballs. Personally I'd go ahead and give the chips a try if I felt the need to use them. You can always resell them on eBay.

And you used the right word: "rare." If a lens hits the 5D3 mirror, you can do like lots of other 5Dx users have done and have the mirror shaved slightly at its base.

On 5DII I get lens contact at infinity focus with some, but not all, mf lenses. It has never been a problem which has caused mt to do anything more than refocus slightly back from infinity.