Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon Nikkor-P Auto 105mm f2.5 Non-Ai Nippon Kogaku
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Nikon Nikkor-P Auto 105mm f2.5 Non-Ai Nippon Kogaku Reply with quote

Nikon Nikkor-P Auto 105mm f2.5 Non-Ai Nippon Kogaku. Fuji X-E2s/X-E2.

Early Version, before the redesign.

Processed lightly in LR. Samples wide open.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made it to shinny, I did't had good opinion about this lens before.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking this lens will probably make a good portrait lens, even wide open. It isn't macro sharp, which can be a detriment in many cases. But it's sharp enough to reveal and delineate important features. Bokeh are reasonably good, color and contrast are good too.

I have a later model 105/2.5 pre-AI lens that was converted to AI by Nikon. It has the metal focusing ring, but a black barrel. Probably late 60s, early 70s? I haven't looked up the serial number, so I don't know which optical version it is. But I'll just say that I've found my 105 to be perfectly adequate for portraiture.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, your P lens is the older Sonnar type and your images with it look great.
Michael, because yours is all black, it is probably the later Gossen Type.
An easy way to tell is that the Sonnar has a small rear element and the Gossen has a large rear element. I have both and they are well known as portrait lenses but are great for general purpose shooting. The Gossen type is supposed to be better technically but I kinda like the images from the older Sonnar lens. Wasn't easy but I added a CPU to my Gossen type lens.
Pete

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pete, I've since looked up some info on my 105, so now I know more about it. S/N is 456901, so it was probably built in 1972. And it is the Gauss type, apparently the second optical formula that Nikon used with this lens.

I find mine to be a very sharp lens, even wide open, with great bokeh at f/2.5. It is just a cool looking lens, too, with the all-black tube and scalloped black metal focusing ring. Mine also has the clip-on hood, which is highly recommended for this lens because of its proclivity for flare.

Roger, I have a few photos I'd like to share if you don't mind. I mounted it to my NEX 7, set to ISO 100. Here's a shot of the lens first:

And a few shots that show off the lens's sharpness, color, and contrast. The subject is the outlet and cap to my BBQ smoker. The rust gives it texture. First is a shot taken at f/2.5. Very smooth bokeh, I've found.

At f/8:

At f/16: