Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is this the best Hexanon 28mm lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Is this the best Hexanon 28mm lens? Reply with quote

https://www.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=105269824

It will cost about $ 70.- included shipping. Will it be worth it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not the best Hexanon 28mm lens. That label probably goes to the 28mm f1.8. Which unfortunately is also rare as hens teeth with a crazy high price these days.

As for the 'is it worth it'... the price seems a little high. Should be able to find it cheaper, but I don't know your local market.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is supposed to be the 7/7 element version, I bought a BGN version at KEH that ended up having a ding in the filter ring, I was never impressed, I also have the 7/6 preset, which I do like, and recently added the 24/2.8 which seems better.
http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e28_35.html

The lens RnR refers to is the UC 28/1.8 http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e28_18.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Is this the best Hexanon 28mm lens? Reply with quote

Eriksen wrote:
https://www.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=105269824
It will cost about $ 70.- included shipping. Will it be worth it?

Leaving aside the 28/1.8, which is essentially a very expensive specialty lens, the lens you mention is the 7 elements/7 groups one and is the best Hexanon 28 one can get. This lens was made in 4 different versions and the one on the photo is the third of these (1970-1973). The price you mention seems steep to me. This lens is usually available for half this sum, and at times even a third. I suggest you look for the fourth version of this lens (see below) because that one will have somewhat better coatings, all other things being the same. Here are some comments I posted on another thread about Hexanon 28s a few years back:

"There is much confusion about Hexanon 28/3.5 lenses. Here is a list of them all:

The 7/7 model comes in 4 versions:
High-gloss black finish with aluminum ring (1965-1967)
Satin black finish with aluminum ring (1967-1970)
Satin black finish, entirely black (1970-late 1973)
Satin black finish, entirely black, rubber covered focusing ring (early 1973-late 1978).

The smallest aperture of all 7/7 versions is f16. They are, optically speaking, the same lens. They differ only in appearance, barrel style, and coatings. The first three versions have 'EE' on the aperture ring, while the last version has 'AE' on the aperture ring (this bit of trivia for those who give meaning to this detail).

The 5/5 model comes in only one version:
Satin black finish, compact version, rubber covered focusing ring (early 1978-mid 1987). It's smallest aperture is f22 and it also has 'AE' o the aperture ring.

There is also the Hexar, often mistaken for a Hexanon. It can easily be recognized from a distance because of its relatively recessed front element and its thin focusing ring. It has a 5/5 construction, a smallest aperture of f16 and was made from early 1975 to early 1978. The Hexar also has 'AE' on the aperture ring.

All of the above are automatic aperture lenses. There is also a quite rare Hexanon 28/3.5 preset lens with a smallest aperture of f22 (15 aperture blades!) and a 58mm filter thread. It has a 7/6 construction and was made from 1965 to about 1969.

That's 7 in all. If there are any others, in 35 years of shooting with Hexanon lenses, I have never heard of one or seen one in Konica literature.

PS:
Please note that whether a Hexanon lens has EE or AR on its aperture ring has NOTHING to do with that lens' version. The letters EE or AR on that lens MAY correspond to a lens variation in the case of one particular lens, but for the great majority it DOESN'T and is just a coincidence. More here: https://sites.google.com/site/tks0en/6-technical-questions/-automatic-exposure-setting."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the middle version. Recently posted test 28, about is all on one level. Most importantly on what sensor you will use the lens. fundamentally for FF.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it had the hood included I would say go for it, even if it is a little expensive.

Without wood, it is very expensive.

The last 3 months I got 3 copy 7 element for less than $30 including hood. So be patient

It is a nice lens, not the sharpest, but I love it for its strenght

https://500px.com/photo/230135801/grand-canyon-by-willy?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=23576623
https://500px.com/photo/230016747/arizona-by-willy?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=23576623
https://500px.com/photo/229905059/queen-mary-by-willy?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=23576623
https://500px.com/photo/229898605/venice-by-willy?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=23576623

Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the other 7-element lens with rubber grip (middle F16 version)? Will that perfor better than the metal version?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnR wrote:
Its not the best Hexanon 28mm lens. That label probably goes to the 28mm f1.8.

That depends on how you define "the best". If you do so as most optical engineers do - with MTF values and aberration curves -, the AR 1.8/28mm Hexanon is quite a poor lens. I have compared it to the later AR 3.5/28mm [7/7] Hexanon and some Minolta MF 28mm lenses, and the 1.8/28mm was visibly worse than the f3.5 Hexanon, even stopped down. An additional advantage of the f3.5 [7/7] is th fact that it has very little distortion.

RnR wrote:
Which unfortunately is also rare as hens teeth with a crazy high price these days.
Definately, yes. But a colleague of mine happened to get one, unaware of its rarity, at a local charity shop for CHF 60.-- ... including a SLR and some other Hexanone lenses.

RnR wrote:
As for the 'is it worth it'... the price seems a little high. Should be able to find it cheaper, but I don't know your local market.
The AR 3.5/28mm usually is very cheap here in Switzerland. You can get them for CHF 1.-- sometimes, and often they go below CHF 10.--.

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H'mm all the old lenses on this site are usually judged on digi cameras and have noticed some give fantastic results and others have complaints..just saying as a film user as is a lens just a lens, and can be used on any type of camera.
I have a couple of the cheaper 28mm and very pleased with them on film considering all I have is a home scanner to pixel peep at crops.

Crop home scanned

Photoshop crop looking more digi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

RnR wrote:
The AR 3.5/28mm usually is very cheap here in Switzerland. You can get them for CHF 1.-- sometimes, and often they go below CHF 10.--.

Stephan

Did you find that price on ebay? The lowest price today was from CHF 45 - CHF 124. And all of them were the short version.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eriksen wrote:
stevemark wrote:

RnR wrote:

Stephan

Did you find that price on ebay? The lowest price today was from CHF 45 - CHF 124. And all of them were the short version.

No, not on ebay, of course. Last time i bought via e-Bay was back in 2010 Wink

Locally, the cheapest prices here usually are in sets with the TC and the 1./50mm, when the camera is sold as "defective" or when other third party lenses are included.

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan
Quote:

Ebay is not the right place to buy "cheap" lens

Because of professional shop (german) with only goal to artificially rise the price of vintage lens. They increase the price by 20 - 30% per month of any lenses so every seller follow them.

And I bet those german Shop come here to read user reviews...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy most of my lenses in the "real world". Today it was a Vivitar 55mm 1:2.8 Macro (1:1) for CHF 5.-- and a quite rare (and gfood!) Canon FD 3.5/50-135mm for CHF 15.--. And a Yashica-Contax SLR microscope adapter, for free.

People are so lazy ... they prefer to search online, most of them on e-Bay. Which of course pushes prices ...

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump

Last edited by wildlight images on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:43 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a Hexanon? It looks like the Hexar 3.5/28.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7/7 construction of the 3.5/28 versions is really a very nice lens, i think it is really sharp and it's among the best 28mm lenses i have come across.
But 70USD is quite the price if you ask me, try finding a camera with attached lens or a small set, often much cheaper than buying one lens.

See for yourself here: http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-hexanon-28mm-f-3-5-7-7-version-t71738,highlight,%2Bhexanon.html

Cheers, René!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Last edited by wildlight images on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:44 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildlight images wrote:

I assume, the 5 row grip AE is a key to the better/best version?

Yes, the 5 row rubber grip is the 7 element version, that or the one with the all black metal focus ring.

EDIT: i think i'm wrong here, only the all metal version seems to be the 7/7 lens.!

See here: http://buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e28_35.html

Last edited by TrueLoveOne on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildlight images wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

"It"? There are 3 different lens images posted, thought I made that clear ..sry

No, all "three" lenses are hexanon, the last image had both the aperture stops and the rear element exposed so I only posted the one view of "it"

So can anyone confirm my actual question asked, which is....

I assume, the 5 row grip AE is a key to the better/best version?

I see four photos, not three. Both lenses are Hexanons. The first two are of the later compact version, the latter two of the earlier 7/7 version. The "key" is that the earlier lens' aperture closes to f16, while the later version's to f22. Moreover, the later version is much smaller and lighter than the earlier one.
I wouldn't count on the number of rows on the rubber grip as an indication for anything besides the type of rubber covering the manufacturer hadn available at the time. On some Hexanon lenses, I have seen different grips on the same lens with, for example, four rows of larger squares instead of five rows of smaller ones. Moreover, the 7/7 Hexanon of the 28/3.5 exists in 4 different versions, only the fourth of which has a rubber covered focusing ring, so I suggest you stick to the aperture opening value as your ID criterion.
The Hexar Ian mentioned (also of 5/5 construction) does indeed look similar to the later compact Hexanon, but it too has an aperture going down to f16. Incidentally, the way to spot the Hexar if the name is not visible is by the deeply recessed front element and by the very thin focusing ring.
Hope that answers your question.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump

Last edited by wildlight images on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:44 am; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I got confused, I happened to be using my Hexar yesterday, it's a very nice lens actually, sharp in the centre even wide open, don't know about corners as I was using it on a M4/3 camera.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump

Last edited by wildlight images on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some more info about Konica's 28mm lenses:
I know I've been through this once before, but I can't locate the place.
EDIT: As it turns out, this is the place, DUH...! (that'll teach me to read the thread from the beginning). :/
Oh well, this time I include photos (courtesy of the web, so IQ leaves much to be desired).

So, here are the four types of the Hexanon 7/7 version:

They are all the same lens optically. The only optical feature that changed over the years (from 1965 to late 1977) was improved coatings. Sometime in 1968 Konica introduced its blue tinge Color dynamic Coatings and these were improved as the years went by. Konica lenses made before 1968 had amber tinged coatings. The aperture of all of them goes down to f16.
Also please note, that the first three, albeit very different from one another, all have "EE" marked on the aperture ring. A few rare units of the fourth type also had "EE' on their aperture ring, but the overwhelming majority of them have "AE", as does the later compact version and as does the Hexar (I add this bit to debunk the notion that Hexanon lens versions can be identified by what's marked on their aperture ring).

In early 1978, the 7/7 version was replaced by the Hexanon compact 5/5 version:

This lens was made in great quantities and is the most frequently encountered Hexanon 28. Production essentially ended in late 1981 (~95%), but small numbers were also made in 1984-1987 (a few thousand units). It's aperture goes down to f22.

Konica's other two 28mm lenses are the Hexanon 28mm ARP (preset):

This lens has a 58mm filter thread, in contrast to the usual 55mm on most Hexanons. It is a carry-over design from the F-mount era (1960-1965). All that was done to it was to change the mounting ring, the film to flange distance being the same for both mounts. It was thus present during the introduction of the AR line of SLRs and was available in trade until 1969, along with the 5 other ARP Hexanons. It's aperture goes down to f22 and has 15 blades.

... and the Hexar 28mm:

This is an entry level 28mm made for three years. It's optical construction is identical to that of the compact Hexanon. It is, however, slightly bulkier. It's aperture goes down to f16. A very good lens, if not at the same level as the Hexanons.

The production volumes are based on my database of 12,000 Hexanon lenses (EDIT: 16,500 as of Sept. 2022).
For a detailed description of Hexanon lens versions, please look here: http://konicafiles.com/3-hexanon-ar-lenses/-lens-types/
and here http://konicafiles.com/6-technical-questions/-automatic-exposure-setting/
The technical specifications of all Hexanon lenses can be found here: http://konicafiles.com/3-hexanon-ar-lenses/-comparative-table/

Last edited by konicamera on Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:58 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post konicamera, this should help people ID their lens.
I have the 2 on the right, and the preset, I really like the build quality of the preset, just wish it was sharper.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, thank you

I found the precise version I desired, the seller shipped it in a plastic mailer baggy ... it doesn't take an imagination to guess what happened....

Anyway, my obsessive compulsion with a Hex 28 is over now and I'm soured after 3 attempts to purchase one off 'Price Fix and FuBay', but thanks for the info others will use it for sure, no doubt...just not me