Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

R-Helios-2 45mm/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: R-Helios-2 45mm/2 Reply with quote

Hello,
Here are some photo made with this lens on A7.
The R-Helios-2 45mm/2 is a little rarity (I only know 3 exemplars at the moment). Its optical diagram is far from classical Helios type.

Rendering is quite weird, a very strong bokeh, and sharpness is good only when you close diaph a bit (which is not visible here since all shots are wide open). It surprisingly covers full frame, even if vignetting is visible in corner, and even if borders are ...unusual. A typical "effect lens".

Here is the lens (adapted to Sony A7 already)

Regards,

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting rendering.
Does it say 45 cm on the name plate ...? Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucca1x wrote:
Interesting rendering.
Does it say 45 cm on the name plate ...? Smile

Yes, it is a mistake or the "." disappeared with time (4.5cm).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see any photos?. iirc, it's a reprographic lens? Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like fun!
Does the gear control the aperture? And how many blades?
Just spotted that it's not listed here: http://forum.mflenses.com/complete-list-of-helios-lenses-getting-closer-t26100.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Looks like fun!
Does the gear control the aperture? And how many blades?
Just spotted that it's not listed here: http://forum.mflenses.com/complete-list-of-helios-lenses-getting-closer-t26100.html

Yes, the dented gear controle the aperture. I counted 16 blades, but maybe I am mistaken. Still, there is a lot of blades.
I don't think it should belong to this list. R-Helios is different from Helios (talking about optical design).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks it was computed for a much smaller image circle, hence that strange effect ("covers" often just means that there is something reaching the sensor without vignetting, but that doesn not mean, it was computed to be used there)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Looks it was computed for a much smaller image circle, hence that strange effect ("covers" often just means that there is something reaching the sensor without vignetting, but that doesn not mean, it was computed to be used there)

Sure, that's why many 35mm cine lens cover 24x36, or even 16mm projection lens almost cover 24x36.
Many lenses cover more than what it was made for (especialy long focal, like Jupiter-21 covering 6x6 without any vignetting). For wide angle it's more rare, that's why I was surprised to see that this R-Helios "cover" 24x36.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre, maybe lenses are incorrectly assembled? Lenses are inverted, for example, the rear lens?

PS: Sorry, did not notice that you shot on a fullframe. Then normally probably ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serkol, yes I think everything is ok with the lens. I have the R-Helios-100 which give quite similar results, without the crazy borders because it covers better the Full frame.