Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DIY helicoid, or DIY rail
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: DIY helicoid, or DIY rail Reply with quote

Maybe the red (not moving) part will be gluing a tube to the collar and fix the lens inside. The rail is classic macro one. Still waiting for some parts.
The classic chinese ebay helicoids are greasy, loose, and unconfortable, while still not so cheap, and no much different sizes.

Have fun!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But aren't bellows really cheap?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Some lenses have small small back focal lenght. I do use exclusively projection lenses
2. The moving part will be the one with the camera. All lenses must be fixed, because of their weight
3. Belows have a specific mount. My lens have no mount. (I have of course EOS lenses, but this is another thing)
4. The cost of this setup is less than a corresponding bellows setup. But the cost is the last concern I think
5. The best and simplest setup is to use DIY helicoid by using screwed tubes, but I still cannot find lathe services here. Nor where to buy such tubes.
6. Here I can attach a monitor fast and easy

Im sure I will use a tube with hexagrams to fix lenses, and the collar will be glued to that tube and the base. I can easily build some different sizes this way, for 62.5 and 82.5 and whatever... Or interchangeable supporting tubes for that. The 42.5 sized lenses as diaplan 80, pentacon 80, meopta 50 will be done directly with screwed tubes, because of their light weight.

I have written in another thread I would build with bellows, too, I already have two pieces of them at home, still not seen in details how exactly, but another time the same - fixed-to-support-lens and moving camera.

I will not buy chinese helicoids. Maybe I will build some as Arseniy Shapurov´s one (which Im sure is lathe-made screw), or go for classic DIY helicoid by cutting the leading channel myself. My wifewent crazy from the idea to have my own lathe in house, probably the lack of space is not the only reason, but also the neighbours, and my free time will go there at 100%. Will post updates when at home and have all the parts received.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting!
Interessting concept to get rid of bellos and helicoids!

But I think I stay with helicoids, I have found some over the years. But most with smaller focus range, I add those cheap Manual Extension tubes for adaption and adjustment of total length.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the first session it was really hard to use the heavy lenses I was adapted. Still waiting to receive a heavy tripod, and the parts for this setup, all is already bought, plus some additional things. There will not be one universal mount for all types of projection lenses, I see this imposible. Thanks to your advices, the shared experience of some russians (Shapurov, Macionas, Tigra Girl and some others), and my own fails the last week, Im 1000% sure the use of classic helicoids and handheld on not-stabilized body is not for me.

About the picture above - sorry for the bad drawing, I cannot draw on the notebook+touchpad only, much details and follow the drawing rules... I can but this will take an eternity to do with the touchpad. It is still a basic bellow, just without bellow, and the moving part is the camera, not the lens (as the havy lenses setups of all other people). When I find a lathe service, I will have the Shapurov setup too, its much more correct and easy to tune (not tilt-shift-like as this above).

As for the monitor noted... The first session I succed to make less than 20% on focus where desired (Magic Lantern focus peaking). Yesterday using external monitor (HDMI on TV) and focus peaking, my daughter succeed to shot her mother in 80% of the tests. One good FEELWORLD 760 HD is coming just now, not only I saw good things about it on youtube, but it also has his own focus peaking and is powered by the FN SONY chinese clone 8000mAh batteries I use for everything.

It is 35KM140 / 1.8 the lighter variant, which is Petzval as I read somewhere

Cheerz!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pictures!

I need to look up the names you mentioned! I have a bad knowhow of the Russain alternative lens scene - and there is a lot of creativity.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice Like 1