Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Komine--Vivitar Primes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnR wrote:
I recognise that name! Welcome to the forum 3dpan! Great bunch of folk here - just as friendly as they are over on mu-43.com Very Happy

Thanks for the welcome, Hasse.
edit: I like this forum for the accent on lenses, rather than systems.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dpan wrote:
I like this forum for the accent on lenses, rather than systems.

And that ~is~ indeed a strong point for this forum... Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dpan wrote:
3dpan wrote:
Like 1 better scenery than I've got too.

Looks like I have to add that lens to my collection.

Cheers

I just did a search on eBay for Vivitar 28mm f2.8 CF.
Quite a few hits, but one in particular is a mystery to me. It's the SMS version.
refer https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivitar-SMS-28mm-1-2-8-MC-Close-Focus-Wide-Angle-Lens/302513473629?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Everything else looks the same except for the addition of SMS on the front of the lens.

Does anyone know what the letters SMS refer to ?

I've seen it on other Vivitar lenses but I'm still none-the-wiser.

Whoo Turtle PS, I also hit the Buy-now on a Komine 28/2.8 CF MC in OM mount, near-mint and boxed, for 39.95GBP. Just have to be patient with our postal system. If I go bankrupt it's all your fault.

Thanks for the kind words--no way New England beats New Zealand scenery though. There's an excellent webpage devoted to MF Vivitar 28mm here:

http://photografica.robinparmar.com/vivitar28detail.html] The site lists 38 variants of the Vivitar 28mm here: http://photografica.robinparmar.com/vivitar.html I've heard a lot of suggestions for what SMS means, but have not seen the issue settled, definitively--yet. Hope you like your new lens and you share some of your pics with it too. jt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
3dpan wrote:
I like this forum for the accent on lenses, rather than systems.

And that ~is~ indeed a strong point for this forum... Smile

Agreed jt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Like 1

Thanks jt Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just arrived in time for Xmas, the Komine 28mm f/2.8 close focus with multi coating, and in OM mount (my preference).
Boxed with all the original paperwork, looking like new old-stock.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Congrats An excellent lens - enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar (Komine) 55mm f/2.8. This is my second copy of the lens. For a while I had gotten out of the interchangeable lens world and was shooting with a couple of Sony compact cameras. Much easier on the back (weight) and wallet but not nearly as much fun so I recently bought a Fujifilm X-T20. I had missed doing macro but the native Fujifilm macro lenses are quite expensive. Instead I found and bought my current copy of the lens. Here are a couple of my first test shots.

A clean McDonald’s napkin

White foam packing material

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roka wrote:
Vivitar (Komine) 55mm f/2.8. This is my second copy of the lens. For a while I had gotten out of the interchangeable lens world and was shooting with a couple of Sony compact cameras. Much easier on the back (weight) and wallet but not nearly as much fun so I recently bought a Fujifilm X-T20. I had missed doing macro but the native Fujifilm macro lenses are quite expensive. Instead I found and bought my current copy of the lens. Here are a couple of my first test shots.

I like the 55mm/2.8, fascinated by the way the focus ring turns, and turns, and turns.
Didn't realise how soft it was at the corners.
What aperture were you using ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dpan wrote:
Roka wrote:

I like the 55mm/2.8, fascinated by the way the focus ring turns, and turns, and turns.

I think I was around f/5.6. I think what you’re seeing isn’t softness but rather OOF because both objects weren’t laying flat when I took the photos.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dpan wrote:
And just arrived in time for Xmas, the Komine 28mm f/2.8 close focus with multi coating, and in OM mount (my preference).
Boxed with all the original paperwork, looking like new old-stock.
[/url]

Hey, congrats on a great lens! This small piece of glass will do 1:5 close-focus work--and the lens is soooooooooo light & tiny. On top of that, it provides half-stop aperture detents through f/11, with a full stop jump down to f/16. I really like the flexibility of half stop detents, something my mf Nikkors do not provide. Also, the 49mm filter ring means inexpensive & easily obtainable filters. If you do not already have a hood, be sure to get one because that front glass has almost no protection from the Sun. Ebay sells (particularly Chinese vendors) some inexpensive hoods. And, in case you did not know, if you are shooting on smaller sensors than full frame, you can use longer hoods than the original & still avoid mechanical vignetting.

Okay, so my posted shot with the glass above was a Fx shot, but here are some shots with this little baby on APS-c sensor (Fuji)--Best jt EDIT=I forgot to mention the below pics were only downsized: no sharpening added. jt

[/img] THIS IS NOT A LENS WITH WEAK CORNERS--RATHER, IT IS SHOT WIDE OPEN @ CLOSE FOCUS DISTANCE FOR THE EFFECT CREATED.

Last edited by Focusthrow on Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:29 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roka wrote:
3dpan wrote:
Roka wrote:

I think I was around f/5.6. I think what you’re seeing isn’t softness but rather OOF because both objects weren’t laying flat when I took the photos.

Roka, welcome to the thread! Agreed, there is no softness in the corners of this little gem: rather, when shooting this close DOF is so shallow that one almost needs a flat surface to show off its sharpness to the edges. In fact, I own one of these and a Nikkor 55mm 3.5 macro--the Vivitar Komine is much better @ the edges, particularly wide open and stopped down one stop. Too many people simply do not or cannot understand that a focal plane is very finite, and its depth is affected by these 3 things: distance to subject--Aperture (the larger the A the less the DOF) & focal length). jt

Last edited by Focusthrow on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dpan [/quote]

What aperture were you using ?[/quote]

No, it is excellent @ the edges--unless this is a damaged lens, which I doubt. You should Google DOF & its interdependence of the focal plane's depth as related to aperture, distance to subject and focal length--and even sensor. Moreover, Roka took these shots on Fuji (APS-c sensor)--edges are all cropped away.

Look @ my shot above, with the Viv 55mm Macro which is done wide open, on full frame sensor: mountain foliage scene with fog--and look @ the one with the woman on the cell phone in foreground, with distant mountains in background--note the focal plane. jt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year. Courtesy of the 55/2.8 macro.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coase wrote:
Happy New Year. Courtesy of the 55/2.8 macro.

Coase: A mindful, excellent and timely picture post! jt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some w the Komine 28mm f/2.8, non-close-focus version--the 2nd & last pic without any sharpening. jt

[img]

[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've shot anything with my Vivitar 35mm f/1.9, so I thought I'd take it out in the backyard and wander around with it some. I mounted it to my NEX 7 and set the camera to ISO 100. Our Great Pyrenees pup decided to come along, so of course, he wound up in a few shots.

Charlie. Vivitar 35/1.9 set wide open to 1.9

Vivitar set to f/8 -- all subsequent photos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focusthrow wrote:
Some w the Komine 28mm f/2.8, non-close-focus version--the 2nd & last pic without any sharpening. jt

[img]

[/img]

With images like these I have to wonder why people spend so much money on modern lenses!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures are nice but we cannot really judge about sharpness due to resizement and compression.

I have the 28mm f/2 Komine version and the 35mm f/1,9, both very sharp lenses though I'm not a big fan or their bokeh.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMouse wrote:
I have the 28mm f/2 Komine version and the 35mm f/1,9, both very sharp lenses though I'm not a big fan or their bokeh.

I have the Vivitar 28mm f2 Komine version (Close Focus) and I agree about the sharpness, even wide open. I actually like its bokeh, which I think is reasonably good for a wide angle lens.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMouse wrote:
Pictures are nice but we cannot really judge about sharpness due to resizement and compression.

An easy way around that problem is to post a crop with no PP performed. Like these of my 35mm f/1.9. Not very inspired, but they give some indication of sharpness. I had the lens set to f/8 for both shots. Both images are 100% crops with no post processing done. (click to see full size)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems sharp, I had no doubt about it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
It's been a while since I've shot anything with my Vivitar 35mm f/1.9, so I thought I'd take it out in the backyard and wander around with it some. I mounted it to my NEX 7 and set the camera to ISO 100. Our Great Pyrenees pup decided to come along, so of course, he wound up in a few shots.

Charlie. Vivitar 35/1.9 set wide open to 1.9

Vivitar set to f/8 -- all subsequent photos

This is the one Vivitar (Komine) I have yet to purchase: I've never been lucky enough to get one. Mike these Series1 Komines, IMO, are extra nice--your pics show the splendid, accurate rendering for which they are known. I hope you treat us to some more samples with it when time affords the opportunity to you to do so. Best, JT

BTW, Charlie is awesome--he is a metaphor for love! But, in the 1st pic, he appears to be looking for something in the bowl (not water--he's not thirsty here) into which he can sink his teeth.