Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Komine--Vivitar Primes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with Focusthrow, I am new to this forum but not to forums in general.
I have spent the boring winter months (Southern Hemisphere) upgrading my Vivitar lens collection, which now includes four Komine primes.
The 55/2.8 macro, 135/2.8 CF, 135/2.3, and 200/3.0
I haven't owned them long enough for more than a few test pics, but overall I am totally impressed and have no intention of selling them on.
I'm driving them with an m4/3 body so I expect my results to differ from ones with a larger sensor.
Oh, and a compliment for Focusthrow, judging by your pics in this thread you could make any lens sing let alone the Komine wonders.
Cheers,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dpan wrote:
As with Focusthrow, I am new to this forum but not to forums in general.
I have spent the boring winter months (Southern Hemisphere) upgrading my Vivitar lens collection, which now includes four Komine primes.
The 55/2.8 macro, 135/2.8 CF, 135/2.3, and 200/3.0
I haven't owned them long enough for more than a few test pics, but overall I am totally impressed and have no intention of selling them on.
I'm driving them with an m4/3 body so I expect my results to differ from ones with a larger sensor.
Oh, and a compliment for Focusthrow, judging by your pics in this thread you could make any lens sing let alone the Komine wonders.
Cheers,

Welcome to the forum in general & this thread in particular--& thanks for the kind, generous words. I own 3 of the Komine primes to which you refer. New Zealand, wow--superb!--it’s an extraordinarily beautiful place in which to shoot/live--can’t wait to see some of your samples here in this thread. Best jt

In the meantime, here is another:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Focusthrow for your welcome.
Here's a sample pic from the 200mm f/3.0, stopped down to f/5.6, and on m4/3,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another sample from the Vivitar 200mm f/3.0, stopped down to f/5.6.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this time with the 55mm f/2.8 macro. As close as I could get to the subject without falling in the water,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^That looks plenty sharp, and with very pleasant bokeh.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
^^^^That looks plenty sharp, and with very pleasant bokeh.

Thanks, especially considering it is "cropped" by using a m4/3 body. It would look even sharper on full-frame.
My latest "thing" is bokeh, and I'm interested in manipulating it when I have the chance. I have tried different aperture settings but of course there's more to it than just aperture.
Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another frog, 'tis the season for them.
This time with the 135mm f/2.3, wide open.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm moving very shortly and have got loads of old stuff to sort through, knew I had a 400mm f5.6 but thought it was Tokina, turns out it's Komine.
Finding some cool stuff though, wonder what will be next.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dpan wrote:
And another sample from the Vivitar 200mm f/3.0, stopped down to f/5.6.

Excellent out of focus transitions with the 200mm--lots of sharpness too. The first shot, at least on my library computer monitor (non-calibrated of course) appears to have a slight green tint. jt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dpan wrote:
And this time with the 55mm f/2.8 macro. As close as I could get to the subject without falling in the water,

Nice shot--not sure, there's just a tiny peek at its front right limb, but it looks to be a tree-frog of some sort: I do not see webbed feet, but what looks to be the limbs of the climbing frogs. BTW, I actually own a pet frog, one of those so-called poisonous varieties. He's so cool and loves to pose for pics. jt

Last edited by Focusthrow on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dpan wrote:
Another frog, 'tis the season for them.
This time with the 135mm f/2.3, wide open.

Excellent shot: love the beautiful OOF transition, the colors and f/2.3 in this composition. This has me inspired to post some shots with my Series1 135mm 2.3, wide open--will try to get them up for tomorrow. jt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Focusthrow, thanks for the comments.
Yes I see the green tinge on the quail, and the branch. Possibly reflected color from the foliage, he was parked up a tree.
And the frog is actually an Australian native, apparently becoming scarce in Australia due to parasites, and now more common in New Zealand. It is a tree frog, called the Green and Gold Bell Frog.
And your pet frog, that's neat.
The 135mm and 200mm lenses from Komine are a pleasure to use. I quite like the focal length 135mm for reasonably close objects.
So, let's see some of your pics please.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of becoming overkill, here's another frog pic with the 135mm f/2.3, wide open,

I call it, "We're just good friends, honest".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dpan wrote:
At the risk of becoming overkill, here's another frog pic with the 135mm f/2.3, wide open,

I call it, "We're just good friends, honest".

LOL--humor doesn't always come through in these threads! Smile

The Vivitar Series 1, 135mm, f/2.3 lens is a beautiful lens with excellent performance. It is always a special feeling to take it for a walk in search of photo opportunities. The pics below are all wide open & all were done on a full-frame sensor, except the 1st one. jt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small can almost feel the texture in those headstones.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr G wrote:
I'm moving very shortly and have got loads of old stuff to sort through, knew I had a 400mm f5.6 but thought it was Tokina, turns out it's Komine.
Finding some cool stuff though, wonder what will be next.

The 400mm 5.6 Komine sounds mighty interesting to me--would love to see a few with it if you ever get the dust off of it and get it mounted on a body: I've not met a Komine I did not like & 400mm is something I've been looking @ for some time. jt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dpan wrote:
Hi Focusthrow, thanks for the comments.
Yes I see the green tinge on the quail, and the branch. Possibly reflected color from the foliage, he was parked up a tree.
And the frog is actually an Australian native, apparently becoming scarce in Australia due to parasites, and now more common in New Zealand. It is a tree frog, called the Green and Gold Bell Frog.
And your pet frog, that's neat.
The 135mm and 200mm lenses from Komine are a pleasure to use. I quite like the focal length 135mm for reasonably close objects.
So, let's see some of your pics please.

Yep, I do believe you're right: green tinge most likely due to reflections off of leaves. Although a little work, it can be corrected for just the subject if needed. Thanks for the information on the frog--really love frogs--they are the "canary in the coal mine" when it comes to monitoring fresh water these days. Agreed on the 2 series 1 tele Komines--& both so similar cosmetically, ergonomically. Clearly, Vivitar hired Komine to produce a certain look for this Series1 line--a continuity, which I suspect they felt would contribute to sales.

BTW, my 135 Series 1 is so close to new looking that it amazes me (I paid a good deal more for this): it was made in 1972, apparently, from the first batch of 100 made. It's amazingly sharp (in closer-focusing situations, particularly), wide open even--to the edges. Vignetting is so well controlled that I'm amazed. @ Infinity focus it surely is usable wide open, but drops off--not like I've got a need to shoot infinity @ 135mm @ 2.3. It's Achilles' heel, IMO, is on digital, particularly wide open, blooming manifests itself clearly--though PPing usually allows for most if not all of it. jt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dpan wrote:
Like 1 small can almost feel the texture in those headstones.

Agreed & thanks. Shooting this close, @ 135 2.3, really requires flat subjects in order to get enough of the subject in the focal plane---tombstones, IMO, are great for this. JT

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own 2 of the Komine 28mm f/2.8s: a close-focus version & a non-close-focus version. Here is one, @ f/5.6, on Full-frame sensor, with the less desirable, non-close-focus version. No cropping.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 better scenery than I've got too.

Looks like I have to add that lens to my collection.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dpan wrote:
Like 1 better scenery than I've got too.

Looks like I have to add that lens to my collection.

Cheers

I just did a search on eBay for Vivitar 28mm f2.8 CF.
Quite a few hits, but one in particular is a mystery to me. It's the SMS version.
refer https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivitar-SMS-28mm-1-2-8-MC-Close-Focus-Wide-Angle-Lens/302513473629?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Everything else looks the same except for the addition of SMS on the front of the lens.

Does anyone know what the letters SMS refer to ?

I've seen it on other Vivitar lenses but I'm still none-the-wiser.

Whoo Turtle PS, I also hit the Buy-now on a Komine 28/2.8 CF MC in OM mount, near-mint and boxed, for 39.95GBP. Just have to be patient with our postal system. If I go bankrupt it's all your fault.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dpan wrote:
I just did a search on eBay for Vivitar 28mm f2.8 CF.
Quite a few hits, but one in particular is a mystery to me. It's the SMS version.
refer https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivitar-SMS-28mm-1-2-8-MC-Close-Focus-Wide-Angle-Lens/302513473629?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Everything else looks the same except for the addition of SMS on the front of the lens.
Does anyone know what the letters SMS refer to ?
I've seen it on other Vivitar lenses but I'm still none-the-wiser.

Take a look at http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Talk:Vivitar#SMS_Edition (and also check out the info on the similar "RL Edition" just above it on that page).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognise that name! Welcome to the forum 3dpan! Great bunch of folk here - just as friendly as they are over on mu-43.com Very Happy