Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Komine--Vivitar Primes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Komine--Vivitar Primes Reply with quote

I’m new to the forum (though certainly not to forums in general) & want to start my 1st thread. I’d like to start with the vintage, Vivitar (Komine-made) primes. While there are many other makers of Vivitar lenses, both primes & zooms, in this thread I’d like to focus discussion & pic presentation on Komine-made, Vivitar primes. Anyone who would like to contribute, welcome to the thread. jt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an extremely big fan of the Vivitar 28/2.0 Close Focus, and a big fan of the Vivitar 135/2.8 Close Focusing. Both very well made, very sharp, super nice to handle.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two most common of the Vivitar Komines seem to be the 135mm f2.8 and the 200mm f3.5.
Both are quite good, with few vices, and will produce very acceptabe images.
T

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the MC 24/2, soft at infinity at wide open, but usable.
stopped down is sharp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 Vivitars I use most are 135 f2.8 close focus and 35mm f1.9.

35 f1.9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a few 28 / 2.8's and really like them, especially the close focus. The 200 / 3.5 is pretty good, it's sharp but I've got other 200mm lenses that I use more. My 135 / 2.8 has slight fungus, but it's still one of the best 135's I've got, although once again I usually reach for other 135's.
I like my Vivitar / Komine lenses, especially the zooms which I think Komine excelled at. But I tend to use lenses with a distinct character, and although the Vivitars are very good I don't seem to use them a lot. But I'll keep them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
The two most common of the Vivitar Komines seem to be the 135mm f2.8 and the 200mm f3.5.
Both are quite good, with few vices, and will produce very acceptabe images.
T

Hi Oldhand:

I've used 3 Komine, 135 Vivitars: the f/2.8 1:2 macro CF; the barebones f/2.8; & the Series1 f/ 2.3. I still own the 1st & last of this group & will post some shots, soon. Both of these 135s have my respect. The 135mm 2.8, non-close focus, I shot in Pentax mount--it was heavy, too cylindrical & boring, but the images were good. My 2 other 135s are both Nikon mount, where I shoot them on Fx & Dx, & on Fuji APS-c x-mount via adapters.

I also shot the 200 3.5 on Pentax, but never got to the classic, Series1 200mm f/3. But I've seen lots of very nice samples with it. Thanks for your response. jt

Last edited by Focusthrow on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kryss wrote. I am a big fan of the 135/2.8 close focus and the 35/1.9. Both are extremely sharp. I also own two copies of the 200/3.5, in Canon FD and Nikon F mounts. I've found it to be sub-standard in performance, especially when compared to my Canon New FD 200/4. It has serious flare problems and isn't very sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
I'm an extremely big fan of the Vivitar 28/2.0 Close Focus, and a big fan of the Vivitar 135/2.8 Close Focusing. Both very well made, very sharp, super nice to handle.

Hi Invisible:

I bought a copy of the 28 cf, f/2--expensive, but felt it would be worth it. It arrived, but had lots of barrel wobble, something I knew was not normal even though the Ebay seller argued it was. I took some shots with it, figuring it would win me over, but the mushy corners would not clean up on my D700--the corners on my Komine (Vivitar non-cf) 28mm f/2.8 were excellent, even @ f/5.6. I sent it back to the Seller, but may try another one. Best jt

Yes, I love my 135mm f/2.8 1:2 Macro--here are a few with it on XE-1 Fuji:

Last edited by Focusthrow on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
I have the MC 24/2, soft at infinity at wide open, but usable.
stopped down is sharp

Hi Iaza:

I've not familiar with this one--would love to see some pics with it in here if you get the time. jt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
2 Vivitars I use most are 135 f2.8 close focus and 35mm f1.9.

35 f1.9

Hi Kryss:

Two excellent choices you make there. I've been trying, for years, but have not been able to acquire the Komine 35mm f/1.9. However, these days, I'm leaning more to Fuji APS-c for manual focus than my Nikon Fx body--mf ergonomics are superior in the Fuji EVF. It brings joy back to mfing--the Nikon body relies on a green dot, which is not the same as obtaining focus via your subject. So, since 35mm is my favorite focal length, the Sigma 24mm f/2.8 macro on APS-c is important to me now.

BTW, my copy of the Komine 135mm cf f/2.8 is the boring black one--that silver one you have is so cool! I love your Komine (Viv) 35mm sample--thank you--hope to see even more sometime. jt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Focusthrow...Welcome to the very best Forum on Photography.My 135mm silver is one of a kind a black one "Pimped" by a Gentleman on Pentax forum,the 35mm 1.9 came as a bonus on a Konica camera I paid $30 for, about 10% of it's actual worth. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget the two true macros - 55/2.8 and 90/2.8.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my sample with 24/2
It has 52mm filter ring

#1 wide open

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I've got a few 28 / 2.8's and really like them, especially the close focus. The 200 / 3.5 is pretty good, it's sharp but I've got other 200mm lenses that I use more. My 135 / 2.8 has slight fungus, but it's still one of the best 135's I've got, although once again I usually reach for other 135's.

I like my Vivitar / Komine lenses, especially the zooms which I think Komine excelled at. But I tend to use lenses with a distinct character, and although the Vivitars are very good I don't seem to use them a lot. But I'll keep them.

Hi Lloydy & thanks for your participation:

I too own 28mm Komine's: an f/2.8 plain & the 2.8, close-focus. They both make excellent pics (fx & aps-c) but believe the cf version is better--I'll post samples @ some point. The problem I had with my 200 3.5, though built to withstand virtually anything, was its too painfully cylindrical construction--too heavy for a 200mm 3.5 too. Also, I've never been fond of the 200mm focal length. It was a decent lens, but far from being anything Komine bragged about--they've done so much better.

Can you expand a little more about your concept of "distinct character." I love to learn. jt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Hi Focusthrow...Welcome to the very best Forum on Photography.My 135mm silver is one of a kind a black one "Pimped" by a Gentleman on Pentax forum,the 35mm 1.9 came as a bonus on a Konica camera I paid $30 for, about 10% of it's actual worth. Wink

Kryss--we are agreed upon your assessment of this forum! Smile And you seem to have a knack for acquiring very cool stuff-fotunate are you, indeed! Thank you, so much, for the warm welcome! Best jt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
It has 52mm filter ring

Hi Iaza,again--excellent samples, the 1st one is amazing and unbelievable @ wide open. 52mm is so nice and inexpensive to get accessories for. Smile jt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Let's not forget the two true macros - 55/2.8 and 90/2.8.

No, let us not forget indeed! LOL I'm a big macro fan & currently own a 55mm f/2.8 1:1 Komine (Viv). I also have the famed Nikon 55mm f/3.5 "K" version of macro, but it only gets 1:2 macro on its own. Both lenses are excellent--I'll have to post some samples one of these days when time is favorable. Best jt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
What kryss wrote. I am a big fan of the 135/2.8 close focus and the 35/1.9. Both are extremely sharp. I also own two copies of the 200/3.5, in Canon FD and Nikon F mounts. I've found it to be sub-standard in performance, especially when compared to my Canon New FD 200/4. It has serious flare problems and isn't very sharp.

Hi Michael:

We are agreed on your 2 choices of Komines, though I have others to add to my list of favorites, like the Komine 135mm f/2.3 Series 1--very sharp, to the edges even (especially up close) & little vignetting--amazing for a lens made in 1972. Though I wasn't partial to me 200mm f/3.5, it was certainly sharp. did you ever shoot with the Komine 200mm Series 1, f/3? It surely is sharp--touch fringing @ wide apertures on digital, but correctable these days. jt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focusthrow wrote:
IAZA wrote:
It has 52mm filter ring

Hi Iaza,again--excellent samples, the 1st one is amazing and unbelievable @ wide open. 52mm is so nice and inexpensive to get accessories for. Smile jt

sorry i checked the bokeh shape, it should be stepped down

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with many others, the jewels of my Komine collection are the 55mm macro and 135mm CF. If I hadn't acquired the Samyang 135/f2 I would be using the Vivitar 135mm much more. I've also enjoyed the 200mm although that doesn't get much exercise as it competes with the Canon L 80-200 FD lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focusthrow wrote:
Though I wasn't partial to me 200mm f/3.5, it was certainly sharp. did you ever shoot with the Komine 200mm Series 1, f/3? It surely is sharp--touch fringing @ wide apertures on digital, but correctable these days. jt

No, I've never shot with the S1 200/3. I've heard great things about it, though.

One other Komine-made Vivitar I've loved for years, but failed to mention is the S1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5. Back when I was a very active film photographer, this lens was one of my constant companions. I've taken some outstanding images with it over the years. Yes, it's a zoom, but it's as sharp as most primes and sharper than many.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lloydy"
I like my Vivitar / Komine lenses, especially the zooms which I think Komine excelled at. But I tend to use lenses with a distinct character, and although the Vivitars are very good I don't seem to use them a lot. But I'll keep them.[/quote]

Hi Lloydy--I edited your above words to focus upon the 2nd part, which is all this post is meant for--thanks. Yes, Komine made some nice zooms indeed! We’ll have to start on thread on those beauties someday too. As good as the Komine zooms were, particularly for their time, I tend to lean more to the Komine primes--that’s just me. When I think of Vivitar zooms, I think more of Kiron, who did wonders here. And Kiron made some excellent primes (the Series 1 105 Macro, for example). However, generally, when I think of great Viv glass I think of Komine primes and Kiron (Vivitar zooms). jt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
Focusthrow wrote:
IAZA wrote:
It has 52mm filter ring

sorry i checked the bokeh shape, it should be stepped down

Iaza, nice catch--that little hexagonal is tough to see. jt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Nikkor & Komine 55mm, mf Macro prime. Both are excellent, but if I could only have one, it would be the Komine. 4 pics below done on full-frame sensor & 4 done on an APS-c sensor--done @ larger apertures, with a couple wide open. jt

[/img]