Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kaligar 135mm 2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Kaligar 135mm 2.8 Reply with quote

Came across this lens on ebay for super cheap. It's my only vintage glass at the moment. The lens is Kaligar 135mm F2.8. I cannot find any info about this lens and am curious about who made it and if there is a way to improve infinity focus.

https://flic.kr/p/XBFszP

https://flic.kr/p/XBFrV2

https://flic.kr/p/YAi4hh
Lens is in good condition overall. I've just started playing with it, but it's been fun so far.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kaligar 135mm 2.8 Reply with quote

WatchingMayberry68 wrote:
Came across this lens on ebay for super cheap. It's my only vintage glass at the moment. The lens is Kaligar 135mm F2.8. I cannot find any info about this lens and am curious about who made it and if there is a way to improve infinity focus.

Lens is in good condition overall. I've just started playing with it, but it's been fun so far.

Anti spam measure means pics won't show first post.

Last edited by marcusBMG on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong!

Here are two sample pictures from the Kaligar lens.

Both were taken wide open since my adapter doesn't have the flange to push in the aperature pin on M42 lenses. I think the lens is pretty soft wide-open but the color and contrast seemed okay.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
i have this lens branded as Korinar, Beroflex and Hanimar. It is a good lens (like many 135mm lenses), but MFD of 2 meters is not nice.
Bokeh is fine (8 blade aperture). But i have no idea who made it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it also and it surely looks different from recognizable brands. Still some mysteries to solve Smile. Orange aperture font style could give some clues perhaps.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one's been re-branded a lot. I have one branded "Pallas", like this one: http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/750-pallas-auto-135mm-f-2-8-22-v1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a generic 135mm lens that can be found under a variety of names, most commonly, I believe, Suntar.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a thread on a hanimar 135mm thats looks the same, and Luis did a review of a suntar.

Judging from a bit of browsing this kaligar 135mm seems to be more common. A later version I would guess.

And there is also a preset version with the aperture rings at the front of the lens. So this name kept going for a while and went through a few 135mm incarnations.

Last edited by marcusBMG on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntar, Pallas, Hanimar, Kaligar -- who knew there were so many obscure names for such an obscure lens.

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I've got the same lens as 'Super Paragon' - the house brand of Photax. And how about the Japanese built Helios, there is some similarity?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightly or wrongly, I have always thought that these were made by Sun.
Of course I have been wrong before Smile
T

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every lens with this livery, Orange letters for distance, square checker, or pebble grain leather grip, 1 or usually 2 silver bands, red line connected to solid red dot for center mark, that I have been able to positively ID has been tomioka. I had one like this in focal brand it was pretty good. No guarantee of course but I would characterize it as compelling evidence.

Here is a similar item currently on e-bay:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a new M42-m43 adapter, and now this lens has solid infinity focus--beyond infinity, actually, but now I can use it in a variety of settings.
Still like the lens a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 135/3.5 preset lenses, one is Kaligar with a rubber focus ring and the other is Hanimar with a metal focus ring, everything else is the basically the same.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WatchingMayberry68 wrote:

Still like the lens a lot.

That's the important bit Like 1 small