Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Another Spectacular Ebay Special
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Another Spectacular Ebay Special Reply with quote

Hey, want to buy a re-branded Industar-69 and Jupiter-9 for only $650.00 US? Be the only kid on your block to own one? Well then check this out...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-LENSES-TELOR-28mm-f2-0-TELOR-85mm-f2-0-DALLMEYER-ZEISS-MEYER-PLASMAT-LEICA-/322452088408?hash=item4b13a46658:g:cpwAAOSwSlBYudTF

Isn't it funny that the Telor 28mm glass has the same optical peculiarities as the original Industar-69 even though it is only using the I-69 body for the helical? Or am I missing something here?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect a lot more of this sort of thing from Ukraine because the country has been destroyed by a corrupt criminal government and the economy is in ruins, people will look for any way they can to try to make ends meet. Good luck to them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, rare estern europe variant of Jupiter-9 and (maybe) Industar-69 (but this one is 28mm/2, not 2.8, so I'm not sure it is same as I-69). Price is naturely excessive, but idea to use soviet body to adapt those lenses is not that stupid IMHO. Looks like I "know" this seller, I saw most of his lenses for sale in Ukraine (so knowing the price he bought them, I can tell you he wants A LOT of profit).
Also Ukrainian sellers are usualy not as poor as you may think (good profits).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously have more experience with this seller than I could ever hope to have. I just can't see how the buyer is expected to believe that the glass for this rare 28mm shares the same idiosyncracies as the Chaika specific I-69, i.e. a half frame image circle and a unique back-flange distance while using a 'standard' M39 thread mount.

Was there ever a TELOR lens brand? Why should their lenses be converted to a different body? Was their glass that good that it was worth the effort to convert them at all?

I don't see anything in this sales pitch that even hints that the lenses might be worth paying premium prices for. I am no expert but this entire auction screams SCAM!!! to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to tell if it's had a transplant or just some cosmetic mods, having transplanted the 40/2.5 from the Rollie XF 35 into an Industar 50 m39 SLR version, I can tell you anything is possible.
I'm not convinced one way or another, I would need more pictures of the lens to see if the optics are different, should be super easy to tell them apart because the aperture size difference would be obvious.
Edit: Looking again at the pictures, the I69 definitely has a larger aperture than stock, and the rear looks nothing like an I69.

Last edited by Lightshow on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
Here is my Helios-89 30mm f1.9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Ukraine ... has been destroyed by a corrupt criminal government...

If you want to regurgitate cud from RussiaToday could you, please, do it elsewhere?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Spectacular Ebay Special Reply with quote

newst wrote:
Hey, want to buy a re-branded Industar-69 and Jupiter-9 for only $650.00 US?

Unfortunately, recent increase in interest (and prices) of film gear led to ebay being overrun by insane offers. Does your offer really beat this? Or this?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Ukraine ... has been destroyed by a corrupt criminal government...

If you want to regurgitate cud from RussiaToday could you, please, do it elsewhere?

Er, no. Ukraine has had a series of corrupt and criminal governments for over 25 years, no denying that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Telor 28mm/2 looks to be a planar.
http://lens-club.ru/lenses/item/c_7748.html

The Telor 85/2 looks to be a planar also, not sonnar
http://lens-club.ru/lenses/item/c_5442.html

(I say looks to be since the source is only an owner of this lens, but this owner is well known for beeing a collectionner and having good knowledges).

Again, I don't see why this auction should be considered as scam, it's just super high price (he will never sell it, well, he never sold anything), but lenses are real.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider it a scam, it's common to see DIY items from Russia & Ukraine.

One very common type is Kiev Automat lenses hacked up into M39 or M42 mounts, these were done in Soviet times, long before ebay existed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we often see such conversion, usualy not good. But some other works from this old era are very well done (certainly done on the corner of the table at the plant).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you see a lot of 'Uncle Ivan took the hacksaw and hammer to it on the kitchen table' type jobs, but as you say, also some skillful stuff clearly done in a machine shop with a lathe and precision.

In a communist economy where consumer goods were often at a premium, people had to make what they had work.

Also, a cultural difference comes into play, in the west, we define quality as not breaking, whereas in Russia, they see quality as being easy to repair when it does break.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Another Spectacular Ebay Special Reply with quote

newst wrote:
Hey, want to buy a re-branded Industar-69 and Jupiter-9 for only $650.00 US? Be the only kid on your block to own one? Well then check this out...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-LENSES-TELOR-28mm-f2-0-TELOR-85mm-f2-0-DALLMEYER-ZEISS-MEYER-PLASMAT-LEICA-/322452088408?hash=item4b13a46658:g:cpwAAOSwSlBYudTF

Isn't it funny that the Telor 28mm glass has the same optical peculiarities as the original Industar-69 even though it is only using the I-69 body for the helical? Or am I missing something here?

It looks a better deal than several of his earlier listings where he had bids starting from $0.99 but included a $400 postage charge!

Sounds almost like he want's to deliver in person & have the option of making a holiday of it Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at this one for some time: Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it's a scam, the rear alone looks like it's a completely different lens.