Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is it worth it? Hasselblad Carl Zeiss T* Distagon 50mm F/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Is it worth it? Hasselblad Carl Zeiss T* Distagon 50mm F/4 Reply with quote

Someone just offered me this lens under market value at $250 USD excellent condition no scratches. I think I can talk them down the price with cash. Has anyone adapted this lens on to a Sony A7 mirrorless camera? There's limited information on how it looks adapted on to a digital sensor.

Is it worth it?

I didn't get a picture of it but it looks like this version of the lens. https://www.ebay.com/i/332398315555?chn=ps&dispItem=1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this lens is HUGE and heavy ( +- 850 g) .
I never tested it but for a full frame you can find 50mm f1.2 lens for the price of this f4 with nice rendering, smaller and lighter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider it if I had a Hasselblad body to use it on as well.

Here is a similar scenario. I bought a Pentax 67 55mm f/3.5 lens for around $60. It's big on my A7 and has worse performance than a 55mm 1.8 SMC Takumar.
But I want to get a Pentax 67 so it wasn't an unnecessary buy.

You'd think that a 24x36mm crop make everything sharp edge to edge but that was not the case with the 55mm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adapted the pentax 67 55mm f4 (3rd version) and it performs REALLY well. But it is huge and heavy. Definitely not something to walk around with. It was 200 USD and I bought it to use on the 67 but since I had it I figured what the heck.
Some shots with the pentax can be found here.

http://forum.mflenses.com/pentax-67-55mm-f4-on-canon-60d-with-macro-tubes-t73530,highlight,%2Bpentax+%2B67+%2B55mm+%2Bf4.html

I would pull the trigger IF you are thinking of picking up a Hassy body, or, doing as I do, and hoarding lenses as a hedge against inflation and market fluctuations. If you are just after a "nifty fifty" just buy a contax mount planar and you can't go wrong.Optically it should be stellar, being a Zeiss T* lens.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens but huge and heavy, as already mentioned. On a FF camera it won't be practical as a walk-around lens but it will make, with a T&S adapter, a perfect tilt-shift normal lens for landscapes and architecture. Is the only usage I'll consider for it.
I have adapted a 150/4 Hassy lens on E-mount sometimes ago but ended up selling it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would pull the trigger IF you are thinking of picking up a Hassy body

I do plan to pick up a used 50mp FujiFilm GFX50S w/ Fuji 63mm maybe a year from now. However, I think it would be more enjoyable (for fun) if I get much older and cheaper medium formats lens to adapt instead.

Quote:
or, doing as I do, and hoarding lenses as a hedge against inflation and market fluctuations.

Reminds me of people who buy Lego sets and wait it out to resell after 5-10 years. I guess I'll be watching the lens price charts from the Pentax forums more keenly now lol. I could just buy and resell on eBay but there's no fun in that....

Anyways I think imma pass on this one. There's not much I can do with it besides making a fake medium format image with a Sony A7 + Photodiox RhinoCam and Photoshop, and I read bad reviews of the speed boosters of MF to Sony Full Frame. Also Planning to get a digital medium format next year w/ fuji glass doesn't make sense to have a system of adapted MF lens to Sony.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
Nice lens but huge and heavy, as already mentioned. On a FF camera it won't be practical as a walk-around lens but it will make, with a T&S adapter, a perfect tilt-shift normal lens for landscapes and architecture. Is the only usage I'll consider for it.
I have adapted a 150/4 Hassy lens on E-mount sometimes ago but ended up selling it.

You should've seen me walking around with a 180/2.8 CZJ Zebra version, Pentacon 6 mount on a Canon 350D.
That was huge.
I still have the mount. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone say huge?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Someone say huge?

smaller than my canon FD 400mm f2.8 with its 5/6kg Smile
what is the "small" lens with huge fisheye front element ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These with Hasselblad CZJ 80mm f2.8 on a6000. CLICK for large.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebbm wrote:
what is the "small" lens with huge fisheye front element ?

It's a projector lens from a digital projector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss, those are superb!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss, first one it's a beauty.
3D pop at its best.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Gentlemen,I also have the 50mm f4 but have not tried on a6000 yet.