Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 70-150 f3.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 70-150 f3.8 Reply with quote

I recently acquired the above lens on a PK mount.Very Impressive!
However I have a question that I hope a Vivitar fan can help with.
The lens is the older type I believe with the Rotary zoom function as opposed to Slide or Pump zoom.
Just below the Zoom ring and above the Aperture ring is another 'knurled' grip ring.
I have found that this ring also rotates for some reason. It seems to be on a thread as it moves a couple millimetres up or down from end to end,about eight turns in all.
Does anyone have a clue what this is doing,if anything!
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the lens but this may help: http://www.boggys.co.uk/page24.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the Close Focus mode actuation ring?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
You mean the Close Focus mode actuation ring?

I dont think so,close focus is by going past the 70mm stop on Focal length,moved a different element.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NACEOD wrote:
I don't have the lens but this may help: http://www.boggys.co.uk/page24.html

Nice find,Bookmarked! Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this ring the open/close aperture ring.
I can see that the aperture is set by the back aperture ring, but that may work together with the next ring like a pre-set lens does.
Just a thought
T

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a set screw has become loose allowing that adjustment ring to turn. I suspect the adjustment sets a focus, perhaps infinity, perhaps to adjust close-focus element repositioning.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visualopsins is correct. It is the close focus/macro ring. Ye set the zoom at 70mm then use the 3rd. ring (close focus) for just that...close focus. It's probable as visualopsins said that a screw on that ring is loose or missing. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
i had the same problem with this lens. this ring is just for holding the lens, there is no special function. it is screwable and i screwed it against the aperture ring until it was fixed. there is no little screw to fix it. now it looks and works like my other vivitar 70 -150mm lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planet.groove.thank you.That was my impression,it definitely screws and unscrews for something and I,m certain its part of the construction as opposed to a function.Confidence restored.