Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

All new film SLR at Kickstarter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: All new film SLR at Kickstarter Reply with quote

Looks quite good, could be interesting if you're looking for an all new camera body.
It has (sort of) interchangeable lensmounts, unfortunately there's no Minolta version available. But i don't think i'll run out of bodies soon anyways.... !! Wink

See here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reflexcamera/reflex-bringing-back-the-analogue-slr-camera

Cheers, René!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, yet very pricey. The main flaw I see with this is that it will operate by stop-down metering only... The viewfinder will be very dark and subject separation will be lost. I'm also wondering about a mechanical or electronic shutter and the sync speed.

I can see a lot of young people buying this but I think it's much more sensible to spend less money on one of the top professional film SLRs still around... They imply that the reliability is not there anymore. The cameras will outlast us all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechanical film camera is so complex to manufacture! It seems that when the camera companies scrapped the huge industrial infrastructure, it seem a monstorus thing to produce it again.

Interesting project anyways, and the £399 isn't actually a lot to pay for the technical achievement alove.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I don't think it's pricey at all. I like the modular approach, it opens up many possibilities for this camera. The interchangeable lens mounts that they are offering now covers quite a bit of ground and will allow for more than enough legacy glass to be mounted to this rig. I am sure Minolta can be manufactured if the request started to flood in. It's actually a decent concept, and something I thought would never occur again in modern photography.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it's not expensive at all.

I have an invoice dated 1982, on it is a body-only price of a Minolta X-700 of 738 dutch guilders, roughly 350 euros. In today's money that would be around 670 euros.
That body has a top speed of 1/1000sec, the "Reflex" does 1/4000sec.
But the X-700 has A, S and P-mode and great TTL metering, even with flash.

spiralcity wrote:
I am sure Minolta can be manufactured if the request started to flood in.

You are most probably completely right here, the modular system looks as if any mount could be made possible.

For my liking the flash and the additional LED are too much. I'd prefer a separate flash, although i can imagine not everyone wants to carry extra equipment with them.
I'd get rid of the lights and make TTL possible instead of stop down metering, but i'm no camera engineer.....

It is an ambitious project, i was wondering whether they can make that price possible in the long end, there are a lot of parts involved that need to be produced very precisely. The interchangeable backs are not making it easier.
If they reach 150.000 they even want to build in a data registration system with an app. That would make things more complex, the modular system has to be able to record the aperture settings of the lens as well. Many available mounts makes that very difficult.

Cheers, René! Wink