Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiron Zoomlock 70-210mm classic zoom. The best??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Kiron Zoomlock 70-210mm classic zoom. The best?? Reply with quote

Only a couple of threads for the Kiron Zoomlock 70-210mm f4 classic zoom here - time for another one. Just acquired this example, arrived today, PK mount, excellent condition, also has the focus limiters as well. I'm not sure that either of these mechanical features - zoomlock, focus limiters - really have that much utility. I think they are more USP's.
I haven't got round to writing up a conclusion to my 70-210mm tests, but if/when I do I may well suggest that this lens is #1 - specifically for consistent all round performance, and its clean bright colours.
Pentax K5, jpg's slightly tweaked in Faststone.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent pictures Marcus, and obviously a very good lens. I walked away from a dirt cheap one a while back because the fungus was so bad, but it's certainly a lens I shall look for. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a good lens for sure.
Is it essentially the same as the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f3.5 made by Kiron?
The Vivitar does not have the zoom lock of course
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Tom

The kiron VS1 was replaced by the tokina version ? end of the 1970's. My understanding is that's when Kino Optical produced the zoomlock 70-210mm. It was certianly produced through much of the 1980's - it can be found in PKA mount and that came out 1985.
It's a simplified lens compared to its VS1 predecessor - fewer elements/groups, no dedicated macro mode just continuous focus to 1:4 at 210mm, lower spec f4 vs f3.5, but overall IMO it is a better performing lens. I'm actually not too impressed by the first two VS1 versions based on my tests. The kiron made version is particularly historic and innovative for its moment, but I think that many later lenses such as the tamron 46A 70-210mm, and indeed lenses made under generic names, are equal and more consistent performers. Just the natural improvment in a competitive sector of the market, I can suggest. Everyone made a 70-210/similar and like the fast fifties the designs became well understood and relatively consistently good. IMO the tokina version is overrated - see eg the castle pics at 70mm on my test pages. Neither the tokina VS1 nor its predecessor the tokina RMC showed well on those.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Tom

The kiron VS1 was replaced by the tokina version ? end of the 1970's. My understanding is that's when Kino Optical produced the zoomlock 70-210mm. It was certianly produced through much of the 1980's - it can be found in PKA mount and that came out 1985.
It's a simplified lens compared to its VS1 predecessor - fewer elements/groups, no dedicated macro mode just continuous focus to 1:4 at 210mm, lower spec f4 vs f3.5, but overall IMO it is a better performing lens. I'm actually not too impressed by the first two VS1 versions based on my tests. The kiron made version is particularly historic and innovative for its moment, but I think that many later lenses such as the tamron 46A 70-210mm, and indeed lenses made under generic names, are equal and more consistent performers. Just the natural improvment in a competitive sector of the market, I can suggest. Everyone made a 70-210/similar and like the fast fifties the designs became well understood and relatively consistently good. IMO the tokina version is overrated - see eg the castle pics at 70mm on my test pages. Neither the tokina VS1 nor its predecessor the tokina RMC showed well on those.

Thank you Marcus.
I have the Viv S1 version by Kiron and it is a stellar performer for me. I have posted images from it here before.
Of all the PK mount lenses that I used to use, it is one of the few that I have hung on to over the years.
Now I can only use it on my Fujifilm X-E1 and it is getting to be too heavy for that camera.
I shall probably reluctantly sell it.
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to say I didn't get good results from the kiron VS1 - check out the flower pics for example.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Not to say I didn't get good results from the kiron VS1 - check out the flower pics for example.

Yes they are good.
Here are a couple of mine as well from the Vivitar S1 70-210 f3.5 by Kiron.
I apologise for somewhat de-railing the thread.
Cheers
Tom