Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Changed to MFT Olympus system
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Changed to MFT Olympus system Reply with quote

After using Sony Nex and an.... cameras I changed to Oly and I am glad. In fact I changed to the mft SYSTEM that including the lenses . So ,I got three fast primes (PL15/1,7 ; Zuiko25/1,8 ; Zuiko45/1,8 ) and an OMD EM10mk2 wich work very well even in low light for my needs . Using MF was a bit difficult in low light for my eyesight wich doesn't get younger and the IBIS does a great job .
The WB and colors are WAY BETTER than Sony (at least on Nex and a5000) . The lenses are very good quality and available at good price and very small .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both Smile

Love to use m43 on certain lenses (c-mounts, P110 etc.), but sony A7 series has been doing good so far with SLR and rangefinders. The colors are much more appealing on 3 gen sony IMHO. I use a A7R III alot on work and the skin colours are better than older versions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

Last edited by Teo on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goal was to keep small , light and the primes that I choose are indeed small and good. And fast . The evf is great . I debated some time to stay with Sony , but the FF was out of budget , and the fast lenses are pricey ,rather scarce and on the big size . The a6300 could be a choice , but the offer was't close to my budget . After all I am ok .I adore the ergonomy of the omd 10mk2 . MF won't be anymore for me the 80% of my photography , but rather something more special . I have to keep several lenses , the ones I use and like most (the Canon FDn 85/1,8 is the first keeper )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teo,

Everything is a compromise, it all depends on what works for you.

For my digital work I use an OM-D E-M1 original with several matching Olympus lenses for a variety of reasons.

1. Mobility: it is small enough and yet rugged enough to offer more mobility than DSLRs with comparable lenses: when I am on the road for travel shoots it is indeed a significant factor.

2. Megapixel count: more is not always better. I photograph for magazine publications and anything beyond around 16MP is excessive for printing a double-page spread using 300dpi halftone screen; the production department would be dumping image resolution down to around 14MP if I send them larger files with greater MP count. This comes down to practicality: sending say 50 image files by email would take unnecessarily long, if I use, say a full-frame camera, and at the far end the files would clog up the picture editors' computers; not something they would appreciate.

3. Olympus' image processor: it is by no accident that Olympus is known for "good colours", as the image files generated contain a full whack of colour and tonality data, so much so that the RGB files can be directly converted to CMYK for making separation printing plates with minimal manipulation, if at all necessary. This facilitates workflow at the clients' end.

So for me the Olympus OM-D is the sweet spot that ticks all the boxes and satisfies in flying colours (no pun intended); certainly the full-frame mirrorless cameras such as the Sony Alpha 7, Leica SL, Nikon Z-series, Canon R-series, Panasonic S-series etc stand to make better use of my considerable arsenal of 35mm SLR lenses, but they would not give me the productivity I require.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Convenience. More convenient than APS-C or larger format cameras; not as convenient as a smartphone. It's much more inconvenient to get the slightly better results of larger format cameras.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele ,visualopsins , good points . Convenience indeed ,and keeping the ergonomics of a good viewfinder camera. And the pleasure of shooting , wich is important (to me ) . I wouldn't left the Fuji X20 ,wich I like very much to use if the colors and high iso were as good as Oly's . Still a great compact wich has the convenience of a 28-120 f2-2,8 zoom .

The smartphone is very convenient indeed . But it is the last camera I'd use (and I use it quite a lot ) . Not a camera I enjoy to shoot with .