Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD Zoom 28-85mm 3.5-4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD Zoom 28-85mm 3.5-4.5 Reply with quote

This lens arrived yesterday and it seems like a nice one.
Here are a few photos with my Fujifilm X-E1 which I am still learning to use.
They are jpegs straight from the camera to here.
#1


#2


#3


#4


#5


#6


#7


#8


#9


#10


#11


#12


PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good!


PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an excellent lens! I think you could say it's my favorite "one manual lens on a trip" zoom!


PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Looks pretty good!

Thank you.
TrueLoveOne wrote:
It's an excellent lens! I think you could say it's my favorite "one manual lens on a trip" zoom!

Glad to hear it. I read a review by you and that influenced me to buy it. Also it was difficult to find any short zoom starting
from 28mm that was highly recommended except for the Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm which seemed too heavy for my needs.


PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that looks like a keeper for sure.
Great definition
Tom


PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On APS-C cameras, the Minolta 3.5-4.5/28-85mm is very good. And that is true for both versions, the MD-III as well as the AF. Both these lenses share the same optical core.

On 24MP Full Frame they have their limits; especially at the wide end vignetting may be cumbersome.
Detail resolution at f11 is excellent; corners (24MP Full Frame) are perfect even at 28mm.

Stephan


PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what 'cumbersome' vignetting would look like but I don't see much vignetting at wide open with my copy of the 28-85 on my a850:




Then again, I don't get the obsession with corner performance at full aperture.


PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
On APS-C cameras, the Minolta 3.5-4.5/28-85mm is very good. And that is true for both versions, the MD-III as well as the AF. Both these lenses share the same optical core.

On 24MP Full Frame they have their limits; especially at the wide end vignetting may be cumbersome.
Detail resolution at f11 is excellent; corners (24MP Full Frame) are perfect even at 28mm.

Stephan


I'm using mine on film and on an A7, it never occurred to me as a problem. I don't think i have even noticed any vignetting, but i have never looked for it as well.

This is also an interesting read: http://rokkorfiles.com/35mm%20Page%201.htm
He compares it to 3 Minolta prime lenses!

Cheers, René!


PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very good lens indeed, I've used mine on APS-C digital and on film with good results. But I think it's just slightly less good than the 35-70/3.5. It's compromise I suppose. With the 28-85 you sacrifice the f/3.5 fixed aperture and perhaps a tiny bit of ultimate image quality to gain some (very useful) extra range.


PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
It's a very good lens indeed, I've used mine on APS-C digital and on film with good results. But I think it's just slightly less good than the 35-70/3.5. It's compromise I suppose. With the 28-85 you sacrifice the f/3.5 fixed aperture and perhaps a tiny bit of ultimate image quality to gain some (very useful) extra range.


Yes exactly why I bought it.
I think the macro on the 35-70 is available at the long end which may be more handy. I don't know.


PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's also quite a big advantage of the 35-70, much more useful macro mode. Not counting the macro mode both have a MFD of 80cm which can be a bit limiting sometimes. Btw, interestingly the 28-85 physically extends when zooming out to 28mm while the 35-70 extends when zooming to 70mm.