Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Actual Focal length
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Actual Focal length Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone has created a list of actual focal length of various lenses?

As we already know, manufacturers do not always specify the actual focal length of a lens on the lens itself, although some do make this information available in a leaflet with a lens.

What got me thinking about this is that I have a couple of 50mm f/1.4 lenses (Chinon and the late Miranda bayonet), and the optics looks suspiciously like the Tomioka 55/1.4. This has me wondering if the lens is different or just a sneaky rebranding. I don't currently have a Tomioka 55/1.4 to test them against.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I've seen the actual focal length of a lens mentioned was when I read a review of it from a photo mag like Popular Photography or the old Modern Photography. There are online review sites that also do this, but they're all dedicated to reviewing the latest, newest gear -- not the old vintage stuff. So your best bet to find the actual focal length of an old lens will be to find a comprehensive review of it in an old photography-based print publication.

I don't know how they go about measuring it, otherwise I'd suggest doing it yourself. If you could get a precise measurement of the diameter of the main optic, then you can use the old astronomy formula: Focal length = (objective diameter) x (focal ratio). So let's say you have a lens with an objective diameter of 40mm and a focal ratio of f/1.4. Multiply the two and you'll get 56mm, which will be the lens's exact focal length.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have another 50mm lens made by another manufacturer, you could easily check the field of view. Put your camera on a tripod and see what it covers.

It would not tell you the actual focal length but you should see a difference if you are right.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure it! There are plenty websites with procedure...