Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Opinion needed Topcor,voigtlander,zeiss, damage, CA
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Opinion needed Topcor,voigtlander,zeiss, damage, CA Reply with quote

Hello all,

Got another one of "those threads" to start.

Am looking to get a Nikon f2.

I like to shoot wide, so I was looking at 28 f2 zeiss. I like "cinematic" rendering lenses. Also I shoot a lot at night, interiors and empty streets, not stars, tho they are lovely.

Is there any other 28s that you feel have the rendering like zeiss? I'm mostly looking at the bokeh and transition of sharp to softness like the Hollywood exhibits so well. I'm not hellbent on ultra sharpness. Has any one used the zeiss 25/2.8. I think the immediate alternative would be the Leica R elmarit 28, but its not quite as fast as the Hollywood.

For the 50mm range, I don't shoot over this really. I think ill go with the Topcon/topcor pair. I love the look of the Topcon super RE/D. It looks, to me, the best looking alternative to the pointed top prismfinders. I would disregard the Nikon completely and just go with a bessaflex, as they are newer, look almost like the Topcon, but the seemingly high prices deflect me away from it in favor of the two more proven F2 and Super RE.

I love every picture I see from the old topcor 1.4. the soft bokeh of it is amazing looking, as are the colors. I understand the voigtlander 58 is almost the same lens, and although I do like what I see from it, its just not exactly the topcor, and no where as majestically beautiful as the fully silver topcor.

Another two questions. Does CA affect a sensor and film the same way? for instance would the voigtlander give the same slight purple areas on film as on a sensor?

Last question, what scratches fungus etc actually affects the pictures on a lens. I have read that a good many coating scratches can lower contrast?
What about funguss on the very outside ring of a lens, does the image transmition only go through the center of most elements? I just want to get a clear picture of what damage to a lens is acceptable, at this point I hunt for the most pristine glass because I'm ignorant of what effects what.

Thank you all very much, Apologies for another one of these threads.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly,(!) any fungus around the periphery of an element would have little or no effect on M4/3 as it is lost in no mans land.
It is a sad thing to see though. I have a lovely Chinon 55mm f1.7 with mild fungus on the edges of the front element but the damned retaining ring is glued in! I can see absolutely no sign on any images however so thats a blessing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Topcon Super D or RE with Topcor RE lenses were a very usable system.
https://www.shutterbug.com/content/topcon-re-super-first-35mm-slr-ttl-metering
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topcon_RE_Super
My favorite lenses are the 28/2.8, any of the 58's, the 85/1.8, and 135/3.5

The Hollywood was also available in the SMC K Pentax 28/2

I do my best to avoid fungus, unless it's bad, it won't effect IQ.

I too like shooting wide, 3 of my favorites on my A7r are:
Voightlander 15 ver3
Nikkor 18/4
Konica AR 21/4
For more moderate wides, I like my Rokkor 28/2.5.

To my knowledge, CA does effect both since it's projected from the lens.

Anything on the surface of a lens will reduce it's contrast, be it fungus, haze, dust, finger prints and scratches.

Last edited by Lightshow on Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:44 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a fully functional Topcon Super RE body (and several dead ones). Metering and all mechanical parts work after all these years. The only issue is lack of proper batteries - they have been discontinued and alternatives have slightly lower voltage output.

It is joy to use with both 58mm lenses. The 28/2.8 should be nice too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About batteries: http://www.aohc.it/testi.php?id_testi=15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't discount the topcon re 35mm 2.8. Sharp wide open with lovely bokeh, and just a fine looking lens.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the 28 topcor was any inspiration behind voightlanders 28 sl?

I want a Nikon f2, but only for the historical collector aspect of it, I dont have a drive to shoot Nikon as I do with Topcon.

Is the Topcon quite a bit dimmer then the F2? I would imagine it is with all the lines on the mirror?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hautendandy wrote:

I want a Nikon f2, but only for the historical collector aspect of it, I dont have a drive to shoot Nikon as I do with Topcon.

Is the Topcon quite a bit dimmer then the F2? I would imagine it is with all the lines on the mirror?

The RE Topcor 2.8/28mm is a bit a weird lens - detail resolution varies quite a bit from center (very good) to field (poor) and corner (good).
Whether this affects your shooting is another question. I have not yet checked whether this is due to field curvature, or other aberrations.

http://artaphot.ch/topcon-re/re-auto-topcor-lenses/482-re-auto-topcor-28mm-f28

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stevemark"]
Hautendandy wrote:

The RE Topcor 2.8/28mm is a bit a weird lens - detail resolution varies quite a bit from center (very good) to field (poor) and corner (good).
Whether this affects your shooting is another question. I have not yet checked whether this is due to field curvature, or other aberrations.

Stephan

Is it possible you had a bad copy or is this common?

Also what other topcon lenses are worth getting and what other brand are they on par with? Like is the 35mm sharp as the nikon ais or af-d?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Hautendandy"]
stevemark wrote:
Hautendandy wrote:

Stephan

Is it possible you had a bad copy or is this common?

Also what other topcon lenses are worth getting and what other brand are they on par with? Like is the 35mm sharp as the nikon ais or af-d?

Not sure of that, but it is a good lens for close to middle distance shots.
I find it a little softer for distant landscapes, and certainly my copy is not a great all round lens.
Here are some shots of close to middle distance subjects where I think it shines.
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion needed Topcor,voigtlander,zeiss, damage, CA Reply with quote

Hautendandy wrote:
Last question, what scratches fungus etc actually affects the pictures on a lens. I have read that a good many coating scratches can lower contrast?
What about funguss on the very outside ring of a lens, does the image transmition only go through the center of most elements? I just want to get a clear picture of what damage to a lens is acceptable, at this point I hunt for the most pristine glass because I'm ignorant of what effects what...

From the complete entrance pupil area light is focussed to every single pixel (at least when we idealize a bit). So a problem somewhere near the entrance pupil will affect every image size. So there is no general ~does not affect small sensors.
Lens parts far away from the entrance pupil could be not used for the wanted image forming. But when fungus or dirt generats stray light, this still can affect the image. But such effects may be small, at least in most situations.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just converted my Topcor RE 2.8/35 to M42 so I'll stick it on my a850 tomorrow and make some samples.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion needed Topcor,voigtlander,zeiss, damage, CA Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Hautendandy wrote:
What about funguss on the very outside ring of a lens, does the image transmition only go through the center of most elements? I just want to get a clear picture of what damage to a lens is acceptable, at this point I hunt for the most pristine glass because I'm ignorant of what effects what...

From the complete entrance pupil area light is focussed to every single pixel (at least when we idealize a bit). So a problem somewhere near the entrance pupil will affect every image size. So there is no general ~does not affect small sensors.
Lens parts far away from the entrance pupil could be not used for the wanted image forming. But when fungus or dirt generats stray light, this still can affect the image. But such effects may be small, at least in most situations.

+1

Same for scratches. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topcon RE 2.8/35 on Sony a850, first one is at f2.8, second is at f11.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion needed Topcor,voigtlander,zeiss, damage, CA Reply with quote

Hautendandy wrote:
Hello all,

Got another one of "those threads" to start.

Am looking to get a Nikon f2.

I like to shoot wide, so I was looking at 28 f2 zeiss. I like "cinematic" rendering lenses. Also I shoot a lot at night, interiors and empty streets, not stars, tho they are lovely.

Is there any other 28s that you feel have the rendering like zeiss? I'm mostly looking at the bokeh and transition of sharp to softness like the Hollywood exhibits so well. I'm not hellbent on ultra sharpness. Has any one used the zeiss 25/2.8. I think the immediate alternative would be the Leica R elmarit 28, but its not quite as fast as the Hollywood.

For the 50mm range, I don't shoot over this really. I think ill go with the Topcon/topcor pair. I love the look of the Topcon super RE/D. It looks, to me, the best looking alternative to the pointed top prismfinders. I would disregard the Nikon completely and just go with a bessaflex, as they are newer, look almost like the Topcon, but the seemingly high prices deflect me away from it in favor of the two more proven F2 and Super RE.

I love every picture I see from the old topcor 1.4. the soft bokeh of it is amazing looking, as are the colors. I understand the voigtlander 58 is almost the same lens, and although I do like what I see from it, its just not exactly the topcor, and no where as majestically beautiful as the fully silver topcor.

Another two questions. Does CA affect a sensor and film the same way? for instance would the voigtlander give the same slight purple areas on film as on a sensor?

What about funguss on the very outside ring of a lens, does the image transmition only go through the center of most elements? I just want to get a clear picture of what damage to a lens is acceptable, at this point I hunt for the most pristine glass because I'm ignorant of what effects what.

Thank you all very much, Apologies for another one of these threads.

Yashica ML 28mm 2.8 (2. version) Do You know this lens?
Here You can read it. -> https://www.flickr.com/groups/71139756@N00/discuss/72157630569321340/