Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 DI MACRO ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 DI MACRO ? Reply with quote

OK, I know the lens has Auto focus capability but for macro I'm sure others including myself are inclined to go full manual with this lens.

My question is has anyone on the forum had experience with this lens? If so, could you please post some samples or link me to your photo's? Also, is this lens 699.00 GOOD!? I have seen it as high as 749.00 at Walmart. I did some eBay browsing and seen you can land a very nice clean copy in the upper 200.00 range. I think that would be my market. I am looking at a PK mount, so I wasn't sure if I should just go with the Pentax 100mm macro or save some money on a used copy of the Tamron.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of my favorite macro lenses and the only Tamron lens I have. It's very versatile (not only for macro) and delivers really excellent quality even when used fully open. I would never give it away.

Here are some examples from this lens (pictures #2 and #3 at F2.8, maybe #1 as well, I'm not sure):

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting those shots. The lens seems to preform well from everything I have read and seen. I just don't know if the lens is 700.00 worthy brand new.

My short list for a new lens in the 100mm macro range:

Pentax 100mm 2.8 WR about 550.00 new
Tamron SP 90mm 2.8 Di about 650.00 new
Sigma 105mm 2.8 EX DG OS about 550.00 new ( i don't think they make the OS for Pentax)

I'm leaning towards the Pentax right now. I guess it will come down to the best deal in the long run.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
Thanks for posting those shots. The lens seems to preform well from everything I have read and seen. I just don't know if the lens is 700.00 worthy brand new.

I've bought mine for apprx. 300 Euro incl. original box in almost unused condition. It's the version 272E. I wouldn't pay 700 for it as well...

I didn't compare it directly to my other macro lenses in that range from Pentax and Minolta up to now. However, at least I can say that I didn't realize any shortcomings so far.

My main argument to go for that lens was that it's my only lens which is fully compatible with my Sony A850 FF DSLR when used with my Minolta R-1200 ringflash in full auto TTL mode and that is a very nice feature which I don't want to miss as it enables stunning macro results even when shooting free hand. With all my other macro lenses this doesn't work and the compatible Minolta/Sony lens was far more expensive (presently apprx. 800 Euro new).

A typical example of this combination (A850/ringflash) almost 1:1 at F22 for max. DOF:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:

My short list for a new lens in the 100mm macro range:

Pentax 100mm 2.8 WR about 550.00 new
Tamron SP 90mm 2.8 Di about 650.00 new
Sigma 105mm 2.8 EX DG OS about 550.00 new

I have been in doubt about this for quite some time now, my list was (or is) a tad longer though: Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 macro Pro-D. (369 € in NL, new) and the Canon EF 2.8/100 macro.
Planning on using it on a 5DII, but still haven't bought one. The Sigma is off my list by now and i am closest to go looking for a second hand Tamron 90.
The Tokina is also quite interesting, i have to go and look at some more pics from that one before i decide.

Last week i bought a box full of cams and lenses (again), this time it included a real macro lens! One with Minolta A-mount, good for my old Dynax 7d.

Here it is:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90mm macros are killers. Literally every last one of them. Pick whatever fits your budget.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different Version of the Tamron 90 mm macro:

2.5 SP, 'full metal'
Well known in the 80's for being the best macro from any 'non-original' brand.
Typical macro lens in those days:
opened a bit less contrast (and sharpness as well) but increasing dramatically when stopped down - no decreasing from f=11!
Wide opened good for creamy-dreamy pics like portraits ...

2.5 'plastic"
it's being said, that it should be optically identical to the old 'full metal' but: I had both and sold the newer 'plastic' version immediately after comparing them.
Not only mechanically but also optically a big step downwards.

2.8 macro (manual focus with adaptall too)
New optical design: even wide opened very sharp.
Very good short tele lens.
This one could be bought as AF-Version too - even for Pentax-mount.
I doubt whether the new AF DI Version (with VC) is available with Pentax-mount!

If I had to chose, I would buy the 2.8.
Mechanically and 'for the heart' I'd chose the 'full metal' 2.5 SP.
As a macro lens - stopped down to 11/16/32 it is on the same level as the new ones.
Whith regard to the prices mentioned by the TO: Pentax (WR)!
But the old 2.5 version can be found about 100-150 €, the manual 2.8 for 150 - 250.
Depends on your skills and needs for AF when doing macro work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
There are different Version of the Tamron 90 mm macro:

If I had to chose, I would buy the 2.8.

Indeed, especially when you're using it on digital cameras, the old versions often show a "hotspot" in the middle of the frame. This forms a purple/blue circle in the in the picture, which is being explained as sensor flare due to the fact that the rear element has no (or just a little?) coating. A well known problem of these lenses. Google it, there are topics about this problem on several lens forums.

Cheers, René!